Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Hardware features for skydemon

Author
D
Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am starting out with PPL and have begun looking for a tablet to purchase (new or used, IOS/Android/MS as required) and I find the forums confusing regarding 
A) Which tablet will run GPS without a cellular connection
B) Which operating system is supported and updated by skydemon to maintain the most current updates to maintain pilot awareness and safety

Many people recommend Apple devices for skydemon as they (apple supporters) usually maintain this platform is more stable and the hardware copes with cabin heat issues better. 
One detraction from that is I have heard anecdotally that Apple devices always require cellular connection to maintain GPS functionality.

Many people stand by devices running the Android operating system for very similar reasons as apple but they often feel freer by not being in the Apple ecosystem.
A detraction from this is that people say devices running Android do not have as good overheating protection as Apple devices and increase likelihood of future hardware failure.
A positive is that many people state that devices running Android do not require a cellular connection to maintain GPS functionality.

In both cases many people are undecided as to whether their devices are supported as they age and operating systems are upgraded. 

Could anyone clarify if 
- Apple devices require cellular connection to maintain GPS functionality (this may impact my choice as I don't want to pay for a mobile data plan just to navigate safely)
- There are hardware differences in thermal protection to prevent devices being damaged (may impact choice as no-one wants to buy an expensive tablet that fails in cockpit heat)
- which operating systems (and their update age) are supported by skydemon.

Many thanks

pgroell
pgroell
Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)

- Apple devices require cellular connection to maintain GPS functionality (this may impact my choice as I don't want to pay for a mobile data plan just to navigate safely)

To have a GPS on an Apple device the device needs to have SIM slot but you can use it without the SIM card installed, hence without cellular connection and data plan.

Edited 5/20/2022 7:49:33 AM by pgroell
grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
pgroell - 5/20/2022 7:28:40 AM

To have a GPS on an Apple device the device needs to have SIM slot but you can use it without the SIM card installed, hence without cellular connection and data plan.

I'd add that historically Apple devices developed a reputation for being sensitive to high temperatures and shutting themselves down until they cooled off. It happended to me once with an old model in hundreds of hours of use, but it's my experience that recent models are much less likely to do thi.s. Not keeping them in a thick protector sleeve helps. 

TouchTheSky
T
Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)
David flying Over - 5/19/2022 11:09:52 PM
I am starting out with PPL and have begun looking for a tablet to purchase (new or used, IOS/Android/MS as required) and I find the forums confusing regarding 
B) Which operating system is supported and updated by skydemon to maintain the most current updates to maintain pilot awareness and safety

Many people recommend Apple devices for skydemon as they (apple supporters) usually maintain this platform is more stable and the hardware copes with cabin heat issues better. 
One detraction from that is I have heard anecdotally that Apple devices always require cellular connection to maintain GPS functionality.

Many people stand by devices running the Android operating system for very similar reasons as apple but they often feel freer by not being in the Apple ecosystem.
A detraction from this is that people say devices running Android do not have as good overheating protection as Apple devices and increase likelihood of future hardware failure.
A positive is that many people state that devices running Android do not require a cellular connection to maintain GPS functionality.

In both cases many people are undecided as to whether their devices are supported as they age and operating systems are upgraded. 

Could anyone clarify if 
- There are hardware differences in thermal protection to prevent devices being damaged (may impact choice as no-one wants to buy an expensive tablet that fails in cockpit heat)

Many thanks

One further consideration: you may want to connect a traffic receiver (Stratux, SkyEcho, ...) with SkyDemon which provides GPS as well.

David flying Over
D
Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)
TouchTheSky - 5/20/2022 1:16:06 PM

Could anyone clarify if 

Many thanks

One further consideration: you may want to connect a traffic receiver (Stratux, SkyEcho, ...) with SkyDemon which provides GPS as well.

Do you mean that GPS functionality would be provided/enhanced by the attached hardware?

David flying Over
D
pgroell - 5/20/2022 7:28:40 AM

So android doesn't require a SIM slot and the GPS functionality is already there 
Apple requires a SIM slot (no card or plan required) to achieve GPS functionality.

Do you have an opinion on either type?

David flying Over
D

Could anyone clarify if 

Many thanks

Does sky demon attach to or handshake with the traffic receiver and provide audible and visual warning in the skydemon application? 

BJS
B
Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)
I am starting out with PPL 
My advice, only start using a moving map app when finished with your ppl. It may well harm your education.
and have begun looking for a tablet to purchase (new or used, IOS/Android/MS as required) and I find the forums confusing regarding 

Only Android devices possess such capabilities, Apple decided to use only integrated circuits with cellular plus GPS, but none GPS only.

Take whatever you like, both versions for Android and iOS are well maintained, but be prepared to spend more time fixing glitches on Android devices due to their wider spread of varieties.

Yes, iOS tends to restrict possibilities for flaws and I usually say go for Apple as support for Adroid is more complicated. The heat issues were a temporary problem fixed by software a long time ago, so no difference there.

There were some bullshit posts on tha internet about that. True is, Apple uses a cellular assisted GPS, which is able to use cell data IN ADDITION to GPS signal to get a better first fix. So, if you start an Apple iOS/iPadOS device side by side with an Android and both have been far away from their current location, the Apple cellular version is quicker in establishing a first estimate for the position as it "asks" the nearest mobile tower about its location.

As above, choose whichever you like. Both sides do have their ups and downs.

These are two points.
First. Currently no tablet is really suffering from overheating any more under normal circumstances. There are occasional problem in open canopies or special direct sun application, but they are more due to pilots stupidity to leave the device in direct sun light exceeding normal operational condition ...
Second. Longevity of iPads has been shown to be much better compared to Android devices. Part of the story is the lack of sufficient software updates in the Android-World, another the frequently "cheaper" built of the devices.

see above, neither does. Don't believe Old Wife and Grumpy Old Misfits Tales.

This is a point Pro-Apple. they are much more transparent on compatibility and do provide much longer software updates.

Could anyone clarify if 

No

Every tablet does have that today, they all protect themselves by reducing display brightness and shutting off after a warning when overheating. But, my experience = I have not seen that for years.

iPadOS, iOS/iPhoneOS, Android, Windows (Plan version

Many thanks

<commented above inside the original post>

Never mind.

Just get somebody you trust nearby to help you through your decision process. Do not rely on garbage posted in the internet. And - only start using a moving map solution like Skydemon AFTER you learned all the other methods AND got your license. Yes, I had a time where I was open for using moving map solutions even in ad initio training, BUT I left that belief behind me - it os dangerous and makes no sense.

Edited 5/20/2022 7:50:04 PM by BJS
TouchTheSky
T
Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)
David flying Over - 5/20/2022 5:05:25 PM

Could anyone clarify if 

Many thanks

Do you mean that GPS functionality would be provided/enhanced by the attached hardware?

correct

Tony N
Tony N
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
I run SD on my Android smartphone (Samsung S8).
It works very well and has the benefit of being able to receive in-flight weather and NOTAM updates etc. via its sim card.
SkyEcho 2 connects via WIFI and works well. 

I think that Android devices aren't so sensitive to getting hot and shutting down like some Apple devices do..

In my opinion, it is best to be able to mount something on your instrument panel so your normal line of sight is close to out of the windscreen. 
That way you aren't tempted to keep "heads down" looking at something on your legs or lap!

Hope that helps..

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search