Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

SKY DEMON - AUTOPILOT INTEGRATION

Author
E
Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi. 

There have been many posts and suggestions  on this forum and elsewhere requesting a facility  for exporting Sky Demon routes to autopilots and other devices over the last few years.
Since the introduction of Sky Demon we have all benefitted greatly from its planning, navigation and briefing capabilites and has become the preferred choice of most GA pilots.  
However, one option that has been missing from its capabilities  was the ability to integrate  Sky Demon with general aviation autopilots.
Due to the increased interest in this requirement I believe  that  Sky Demon may now be prepared to explore such an integration.
It would help the case for developing this capabilty if those interested could express their support and interest on this forum.
Also, if anyone is aware of an existing  solution using readily available off the shelf  and budget friendly hardware please share this information here as this will reduce reasearch and development time and make an approved  solution more likely.
Thanks in advance for your support.

Alan Maynard

Skyboy999
Skyboy999
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
Interested, would favour (iPad) lightning to serial solution.
BJS
B
Too Much Forum (179 reputation)Too Much Forum (179 reputation)Too Much Forum (179 reputation)Too Much Forum (179 reputation)Too Much Forum (179 reputation)Too Much Forum (179 reputation)Too Much Forum (179 reputation)Too Much Forum (179 reputation)Too Much Forum (179 reputation)
Do we really want to embrace that? Yes, it is doable and spitting out the required additional NMEA sequences over IP is a piece of cake. The tinkerer and efiddler can experiment so with the now 2 year old Stratux2AP implementation and it works quite well - if you know exactly what you do. BUT, there is a reason the digital autopilot in experimental sector deleted things like BT input and consumer electronics interfaces for operational purposes - simply because the airmenship even in Experimental showed no benefit to harm by such capability.

I think we are by far better of keeping consumer electronics for planning purpose and restrict ourselves to transfer the result in real avionics.

Eagle2
E
Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)
BJS - 2/6/2022 9:08:49 AM
Do we really want to embrace that? Yes, it is doable and spitting out the required additional NMEA sequences over IP is a piece of cake. The tinkerer and efiddler can experiment so with the now 2 year old Stratux2AP implementation and it works quite well - if you know exactly what you do. BUT, there is a reason the digital autopilot in experimental sector deleted things like BT input and consumer electronics interfaces for operational purposes - simply because the airmenship even in Experimental showed no benefit to harm by such capability.

I think we are by far better of keeping consumer electronics for planning purpose and restrict ourselves to transfer the result in real avionics.

Hi BJS
Thanks for your  thoughts on this subject. 
Unfortunately not being  an IT expert I'm looking for a simple solution to exporting  Sky Demon routes to an  autopilot on an experimental VFR aircraft. 
To quote, you say. "Yes, it is doable and spitting out the required additional NMEA sequences over IP is a piece of cake".
Please can you share how this can be achieved?

BJS
B
Too Much Forum (179 reputation)Too Much Forum (179 reputation)Too Much Forum (179 reputation)Too Much Forum (179 reputation)Too Much Forum (179 reputation)Too Much Forum (179 reputation)Too Much Forum (179 reputation)Too Much Forum (179 reputation)Too Much Forum (179 reputation)
Eagle2 - 2/17/2022 3:18:14 PM

Hi BJS
Thanks for your  thoughts on this subject. 
Unfortunately not being  an IT expert I'm looking for a simple solution to exporting  Sky Demon routes to an  autopilot on an experimental VFR aircraft. 
To quote, you say. "Yes, it is doable and spitting out the required additional NMEA sequences over IP is a piece of cake".
Please can you share how this can be achieved?
'Talking' to a modern digital autopilot requires you to speak its language, which in most of these cases will be NMEA sequences. For the vocabulary see i.e. https://gpsd.gitlab.io/gpsd/NMEA.html . The specifics of your autopilot will be found in the programming manual of it.

David N.
D
Too Much Forum (84 reputation)Too Much Forum (84 reputation)Too Much Forum (84 reputation)Too Much Forum (84 reputation)Too Much Forum (84 reputation)Too Much Forum (84 reputation)Too Much Forum (84 reputation)Too Much Forum (84 reputation)Too Much Forum (84 reputation)
To my knowledge, Sky Demon has the possibility to transfer flight plan to Dynons Skyview autopilot, however I would agree on that this is probably not to be considered as 'cost-friendly'.
rvmartin
rvmartin
Too Much Forum (413 reputation)Too Much Forum (413 reputation)Too Much Forum (413 reputation)Too Much Forum (413 reputation)Too Much Forum (413 reputation)Too Much Forum (413 reputation)Too Much Forum (413 reputation)Too Much Forum (413 reputation)Too Much Forum (413 reputation)
Eagle2 - 2/4/2022 4:54:01 PM
Hi. 

There have been many posts and suggestions  on this forum and elsewhere requesting a facility  for exporting Sky Demon routes to autopilots and other devices over the last few years.
Since the introduction of Sky Demon we have all benefitted greatly from its planning, navigation and briefing capabilites and has become the preferred choice of most GA pilots.  
However, one option that has been missing from its capabilities  was the ability to integrate  Sky Demon with general aviation autopilots.
Due to the increased interest in this requirement I believe  that  Sky Demon may now be prepared to explore such an integration.
It would help the case for developing this capabilty if those interested could express their support and interest on this forum.
Also, if anyone is aware of an existing  solution using readily available off the shelf  and budget friendly hardware please share this information here as this will reduce reasearch and development time and make an approved  solution more likely.
Thanks in advance for your support.

Alan Maynard

At present it is practical, but very fiddly, to transfer routes from an android device to a robust, aviation dedicated GPS such as an Aera 660.  But, using a micro sd card as the transfer medium makes it difficult to do in a cockpit environment and really has to be done in the cafe or at home. It is very unlikely that bodies like the LAA are ever going to give approval to driving autopilots from flaky notebooks and phones. It just won't happen. The best we can hope for is that, in my case, Garmin provide bluetooth transfer via their Connect (or whatever it is called) to Skydemon. I expect Garmin see Skydemon as a competing product and it is not in their commercial interest to make easy route transfers. I would be interested to see if any groups in the states have got anywhere with Garmin and bluetooth file transfers. I just cannot see what leverage we have from the UK.

Cheers Martin Board GPLAR

BJS
B
rvmartin - 2/18/2022 5:32:55 PM

At present it is practical, but very fiddly, to transfer routes from an android device to a robust, aviation dedicated GPS such as an Aera 660.  But, using a micro sd card as the transfer medium makes it difficult to do in a cockpit environment and really has to be done in the cafe or at home. It is very unlikely that bodies like the LAA are ever going to give approval to driving autopilots from flaky notebooks and phones. It just won't happen. The best we can hope for is that, in my case, Garmin provide bluetooth transfer via their Connect (or whatever it is called) to Skydemon. I expect Garmin see Skydemon as a competing product and it is not in their commercial interest to make easy route transfers. I would be interested to see if any groups in the states have got anywhere with Garmin and bluetooth file transfers. I just cannot see what leverage we have from the UK.

Cheers Martin Board GPLAR
There are wireless paired sd cards, in principle small webservers on a card with a (not very reliable) sync mechanism. Yes Android is a troublesome solution for doing such things, but the more closed iOS doesn't do better.

Regarding autopilots driven from consumer devices - not long ago they said the same as you for handheld devices and now we have certified autopilots officially coupled to devices as low as Garmin196. A modern smartphone is science fiction tech compared to those.

Eagle2
E
As stated by BJS
It seems crazy that we  have certified autopilots coupled to devices such as the lowly  Garmin196, but we are not able to utilize the amazing capabilities of an IPad or smart phone running Sky Demon just because we cant export a route to the autopilot !!! 
Surely there is a consumer blue tooth device capable of providing this interface out there?
If you know of one please help

Eagle2
E
This device has been  suggested as a possible contender / solution

https://uconnect.com.tw/S2B5232E.html

Has anyone investigated or tried this device?

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search