Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

ADS-B Exchange Integration

Author
Night-Flyer
Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Maybe better then nothing - for rough traffic overview, only an idea but take a look at https://adsbexchange.com/data/ Apple Watch App is also quite nice, would love a SkyDemon integration as a smart traffic backup in the regular "Radar" screen (used also for GDL-90 etc.) UI like the Apple Watch App shown at ADS-B Exchange ;-) stay healthy esp. Tim ;-) & keep up your fantastic work!

Edited 1/21/2021 3:24:29 PM by Night-Flyer
pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)
I think it is neither particular appropriate nor wise to support a portal which puts itself against any laws and international treaties and says 'we give a sh*t and if you don't like it sue us'. In my eyes they may well be already near pirates or even terrorism. Just my 2 cents of comment.
Edited 1/21/2021 4:26:43 PM by pilot-byom
Night-Flyer
Night-Flyer
Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)
Flightradar24, ADS-B Exchange etc. exists, just an idea to share with you, you don‘t like my suggestions, oki doki up to you ;-) but there is a official api, take care byom sorry that you did not like my ideas no prob, was just an idea ;-)
pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)
The usual tracking sites like FR24, Radarbox etc try to sneak through grey areas, but in principle kind of obey laws and treaties including pulling the US blocking lists while trying to pull the discussion to opt-in or opt-out. Putting them in one bucket with a pirate org like ADS-B Exchange isn‘t fair.
Tom1969
T
Too Much Forum (93 reputation)Too Much Forum (93 reputation)Too Much Forum (93 reputation)Too Much Forum (93 reputation)Too Much Forum (93 reputation)Too Much Forum (93 reputation)Too Much Forum (93 reputation)Too Much Forum (93 reputation)Too Much Forum (93 reputation)
pilot-byom - 1/22/2021 10:44:28 PM
The usual tracking sites like FR24, Radarbox etc try to sneak through grey areas, but in principle kind of obey laws and treaties including pulling the US blocking lists while trying to pull the discussion to opt-in or opt-out. Putting them in one bucket with a pirate org like ADS-B Exchange isn‘t fair.

There is also another app on the market which is showing the traffic and also send position data to the system. The problem is, that if you fly in a higher flightlevel > 3000tf your mobile can not receive anything. So it is more critical as helpful i think ! 

Night-Flyer
Night-Flyer
You're right Tom, this was really only meant as a minimal backup, i know many pilots who don't even fly higher than 3000ft, I know some who use the ADS-B Exchange Watch app, to be prepared for the rough environment but surely VFR depends on good airspace observation anyway! Was really just meant as an emergency backup when you don't have your stratux in your pocket or flying with minimal equipment, stay healthy & always happy landings, and Tim thanks for your great work!

Edited 2/6/2021 3:36:24 PM by Night-Flyer
TimT
TimT
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
Night-Flyer - 1/21/2021 3:07:02 PM
Maybe better then nothing - for rough traffic overview, only an idea but take a look at https://adsbexchange.com/data/ Apple Watch App is also quite nice, would love a SkyDemon integration as a smart traffic backup in the regular "Radar" screen (used also for GDL-90 etc.) UI like the Apple Watch App shown at ADS-B Exchange ;-) stay healthy esp. Tim ;-) & keep up your fantastic work!

For the purpose of traffic avoidance (and display in the Traffic Radar screen), this needs to be real-time. How real-time would this adsbexchange data be?

Else maybe just an idea for the planning side, to get an idea of typical traffic and patterns in an area of interest to you during flight planning...

pilot-byom
p
TimT - 2/7/2021 7:43:27 AM
For the purpose of traffic avoidance (and display in the Traffic Radar screen), this needs to be real-time. How real-time would this adsbexchange data be?

Else maybe just an idea for the planning side, to get an idea of typical traffic and patterns in an area of interest to you during flight planning...

For immediate anti collision warning you need 40 seconds. Data feeds of i.e. certain N-reg is artificially delayed by 7 minutes due to the anti-terrorists act 9/11. So-called life feed raw on the land based net is usually several minutes behind, not taking into account the slow upload in aircraft. From low level microlight flying and internet traffic on experience shows the display on the map occurs usually after you would have been dead in case if. Long story short, the idea of using any consumer grade internet connection for real time application in anti collision is dead born. It only serves authorities global surveillance systems.

Second argument is kind of valid, but what is the information of a traffic pattern occupation 10 minutes old worth?
I would say, ehm ... nothing? Who other flight schools is longer 10 minutes in pattern ...

Night-Flyer
Night-Flyer
All you mentioned ist for sure clear - but it seems that did not see my idea of a backup or fallback - forget my idea - but it seems that you never saw ADS-B Exchange working on the Apple Watch in real time ;-) - and also as a nice backup in the traffic pattern for rough traffic there. (All positions i saw where near realtime and exact). Sorry for my idea but it was never meant as a real traffic avoidance solution. Only when airborne with minimal equipment. So please may try it for fun, but sorry for my idea, please forget my suggestion! Thanks take care & always happy landings... Thumbs up for Tim as always ;-)
Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)
Nothing wrong with having an additional source of information.
Personally, I consider a portable ads-b receiver as a costly toy and unless everyone else will be obliged to fly with one by regulations, I wouldn't fly with it.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search