Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Flight planning feature request: “where could I go?”

Author
F
Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Can I make a feature request - likely popular with newly-qualified pilots like me.

As a user, I would like the ability to specify how long I’ve got the aircraft for (think “club renter” and for SD to show which airfields are within reach.

To begin, the MVP for this could be very simple: ask user how long they’ve got and then just draw a circle around home airfield with a radius showing the distance my aircraft can travel in half that time.

Longer term, could introduce wind into the mix to show the effect on range, or add the ability to include an on the ground stop and the time that takes.

My use case is that as a club renter I tend to have a 2 hour slot available to me and I’d like to see easily on the map where I might be able to reach, vs how far could I travel if I had 3 hours etc. At the moment you have to plan the flight and then check the estimated flight time and rework it if it’s too long.
Johannes B.
J
Too Much Forum (260 reputation)Too Much Forum (260 reputation)Too Much Forum (260 reputation)Too Much Forum (260 reputation)Too Much Forum (260 reputation)Too Much Forum (260 reputation)Too Much Forum (260 reputation)Too Much Forum (260 reputation)Too Much Forum (260 reputation)
Flyingearly - 9/13/2020 12:43:42 PM
Can I make a feature request - likely popular with newly-qualified pilots like me.As a user, I would like the ability to specify how long I’ve got the aircraft for (think “club renter” and for SD to show which airfields are within reach.To begin, the MVP for this could be very simple: ask user how long they’ve got and then just draw a circle around home airfield with a radius showing the distance my aircraft can travel in half that time.Longer term, could introduce wind into the mix to show the effect on range, or add the ability to include an on the ground stop and the time that takes.My use case is that as a club renter I tend to have a 2 hour slot available to me and I’d like to see easily on the map where I might be able to reach, vs how far could I travel if I had 3 hours etc. At the moment you have to plan the flight and then check the estimated flight time and rework it if it’s too long.
What's wrong with your club? Why do you only get 2h slots? At our club and many others you can charter for days or even a week, if you fly at least an hour or two hours a day?

YouTube channel
pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)
I oppose such low-level brain extension. This may be tempting for a real freshmen with no social contacts at the home airfield, but IMHO it does not justify spending any effort to replace own thinking on that level. Sorry, just my opinion.
Flyingearly
F
Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)
The 2 hours bit was an example. If I have 4 hours, or 8 hours, it’s would be easier to see where I can reach in that time.

Others say it’s a low-level brain extension, but the same functionality back-end would also solve the emergency diversion question of “where can I glide to?”.

For club renters, btw, it’s not about “how much time have I got?” as much as “how much money have I got”? If I want to fly for 3 hours, I’d like to know where I can get to within that spend.

The longer time you have, the harder it is to plan because more options become available.
Johannes B.
J
Too Much Forum (260 reputation)Too Much Forum (260 reputation)Too Much Forum (260 reputation)Too Much Forum (260 reputation)Too Much Forum (260 reputation)Too Much Forum (260 reputation)Too Much Forum (260 reputation)Too Much Forum (260 reputation)Too Much Forum (260 reputation)
Flyingearly - 9/19/2020 11:11:06 AM
The 2 hours bit was an example. If I have 4 hours, or 8 hours, it’s would be easier to see where I can reach in that time.Others say it’s a low-level brain extension, but the same functionality back-end would also solve the emergency diversion question of “where can I glide to?”.For club renters, btw, it’s not about “how much time have I got?” as much as “how much money have I got”? If I want to fly for 3 hours, I’d like to know where I can get to within that spend.The longer time you have, the harder it is to plan because more options become available.

There even is such a function, called "where could I go" in the planning mode, after you have selected your departure airport, it is restricted to 50nm, though...

YouTube channel
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search