Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Flarm data / checksum error causes exit from navigation mode on Android

Author
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Is there a Bluetooth connector for FLARM data that is in widespread use? We also see the benefits that using Bluetooth instead of Wifi could bring to the user, and would consider supporting such a configuration.
Alastair Mutch
A
Too Much Forum (66 reputation)Too Much Forum (66 reputation)Too Much Forum (66 reputation)Too Much Forum (66 reputation)Too Much Forum (66 reputation)Too Much Forum (66 reputation)Too Much Forum (66 reputation)Too Much Forum (66 reputation)Too Much Forum (66 reputation)
Alastair Mutch - 1/23/2020 1:18:06 PM
Tim Dawson - 1/23/2020 11:19:10 AM
I think the situation you describe is easily detected and avoided by TCP/IP itself and the existing checksum mechanism.

If you look at the error you posted, it does not fall into the category of what you just described. It is a whole and complete sentence, but with invalid (broken) fields. Wouldn't you agree?

Err. No. 
In the screenshot above it's a partial GPS sentence with an incomplete Flarm PFLAU sentence appended to it.  The checksum belongs to the Flarm sentence - which is missing its $ prefix.  If it were a CRC checksum then it would be much easier to determine that is was complete and uncorrupted prior to parsing but that boat sailed a long time ago. 

After further investigation I agree that the Airconnect data transfer is what one might call "fragile" or perhaps just "broken" with output data not matching input data.   I'm working with them to see if they can get it a bit better... or even correct.  The serial data output from the Flarm itself looks OK. 

The Airconnect device does detect the LF at the end of a sentence in the data stream and uses this to trigger a TCP/IP wifi packet with a single sentence in it so the example I gave above should never actually happen.  It still seems a bit nasty to the poor user to dump them out of nav mode on a single GPS data error - but it's just a suggestion to change this. 

For me it would be *so* much simpler if Skydemon could accept a BT serial data stream with GPS and Flarm traffic data.  I used to think BT was the spawn of the devil but the current implementations seem to work fairly reliably and it would save all the faffing about with wifi and switching networks. 

Alastair

It turns out there are two different version of hardware / firmware for Airconnects on the "new" 192.168.1.1 address. The ones with the "Pin-Code" on the label use the Microchip WiFly module.  Newer units with a Hex serial number use an InCircuit Radino 32 Wifi module and don't have a Pin-code.  

I have one of each (for different aircraft). Neither is particularly good at transferring all Flarm data without corruption but I can get the older WiFly one to work 100% reliably with a minor reconfiguration - so that can go back into our Falke.  

I'm working with AirAvionics on the newer one but no fix so far.  If you have an AirConnect that doesn't have a Pin-Code then you should expect problems with Flarm connections to Skydemon - i.e. regular "Unexpected GPS data encountered" errors. I

t's not a Skydemon problem (even if I do moan about the hard error handling)

Alastair

Alastair Mutch
A
Too Much Forum (66 reputation)Too Much Forum (66 reputation)Too Much Forum (66 reputation)Too Much Forum (66 reputation)Too Much Forum (66 reputation)Too Much Forum (66 reputation)Too Much Forum (66 reputation)Too Much Forum (66 reputation)Too Much Forum (66 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 1/24/2020 12:16:15 PM
Is there a Bluetooth connector for FLARM data that is in widespread use? We also see the benefits that using Bluetooth instead of Wifi could bring to the user, and would consider supporting such a configuration.

Hi Tim,
Most of the current OEM PowerFlarm implementations include a bluetooth serial interface. I have a Flarm BAT that includes one.
There is also the option to use the Soartronic Bluetooth interface that goes in line between the Flarm and the Flarm Display. This is a hobby board but has been done to a good standard (tested even) and works well. I have one of these in our Falke and in a couple of our club gliders to allow easy connection of a phone or nav device via bluetooth.. 

The advantage is that the BT can run on internal battery for the FlarmBat, PF Portable and PowerMouse. The Airconnect device requires external 12V in all cases and is generally an over-complicated pain. 

Alastair

Alastair Mutch
A
Alastair Mutch - 1/24/2020 8:00:59 PM
Tim Dawson - 1/24/2020 12:16:15 PM

Hi Tim,
Most of the current OEM PowerFlarm implementations include a bluetooth serial interface. I have a Flarm BAT that includes one.
There is also the option to use the Soartronic Bluetooth interface that goes in line between the Flarm and the Flarm Display. This is a hobby board but has been done to a good standard (tested even) and works well. I have one of these in our Falke and in a couple of our club gliders to allow easy connection of a phone or nav device via bluetooth.. 

The advantage is that the BT can run on internal battery for the FlarmBat, PF Portable and PowerMouse. The Airconnect device requires external 12V in all cases and is generally an over-complicated pain. 

Alastair

Thinking about it the Soartronic solution probably doesn't help much as they haven't done the Apple dance to get approval.  It's OK for  me with Android devices :-)
The LXNav and LxNavigation power flarm devices do support iOS. 

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
Hmm, a solution has to be in widespread use for it to be viable for us to develop support. I hadn't realised that some of the PowerFlarm devices support Bluetooth, that's interesting.

My understanding is that if a device supports Bluetooth 4/LTE (or something similar) they do not have to go through any Apple dance to be supported.

Alastair Mutch
A
Tim Dawson - 1/27/2020 12:11:51 PM
Hmm, a solution has to be in widespread use for it to be viable for us to develop support. I hadn't realised that some of the PowerFlarm devices support Bluetooth, that's interesting.

My understanding is that if a device supports Bluetooth 4/LTE (or something similar) they do not have to go through any Apple dance to be supported.

Thanks for thinking about it. 
I'll try an Ipad with the Soartronic board and see if it will connect.  I thnk it is BT 2.0 though rather than BT 4 / LE  (LTE is something different :-)

Alastair

ken@blackman.co.uk
ken@blackman.co.uk
Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)
Alastair Mutch - 1/27/2020 2:27:58 PM

I'll try an Ipad with the Soartronic board and see if it will connect.  I thnk it is BT 2.0 though rather than BT 4 / LE  (LTE is something different :-)

Alastair

Hi Alastair

I would be really interested to know to hear if you managed to get an iPad to connect to a Soartronic.  I have been struggling for a long time to get a reliable wifi connection between a PF portable and an iPad using an AirConnect.

Ken

ken@blackman.co.uk
ken@blackman.co.uk
Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)
ken@blackman.co.uk - 2/4/2020 1:27:56 PM

Alastair

Hi Alastair

I would be really interested to know to hear if you managed to get an iPad to connect to a Soartronic.  I have been struggling for a long time to get a reliable wifi connection between a PF portable and an iPad using an AirConnect.

Ken

Hi Alastair

I would be really interested to know to hear if you managed to get an iPad to connect to a Soartronic. I have been struggling for a long time to get a reliable wifi connection between a PF portable and an iPad using an AirConnect.

Ken

Alastair Mutch
A
ken@blackman.co.uk - 2/4/2020 1:29:30 PM

Alastair

Hi Alastair

Ken

Hi Alastair

I would be really interested to know to hear if you managed to get an iPad to connect to a Soartronic. I have been struggling for a long time to get a reliable wifi connection between a PF portable and an iPad using an AirConnect.

Ken

Hi Ken,
Unfortunately the Soartronic BT module is Bluetooth 2.0 only and not Apple qualified - so it will not work with the iPad. 

With the PF portable you need external power connected to the device when using Airconnect and, as above, neither version of the Airconnect works correctly but the older one (with the pin number on the label) can be modified to work reliably.  See PM.

Alastair

Thomas
Thomas
Too Much Forum (669 reputation)Too Much Forum (669 reputation)Too Much Forum (669 reputation)Too Much Forum (669 reputation)Too Much Forum (669 reputation)Too Much Forum (669 reputation)Too Much Forum (669 reputation)Too Much Forum (669 reputation)Too Much Forum (669 reputation)
Alastair Mutch - 2/4/2020 7:21:31 PM
ken@blackman.co.uk - 2/4/2020 1:29:30 PM

Alastair

Hi Alastair

Ken

Hi Alastair

Ken

Hi Ken,
Unfortunately the Soartronic BT module is Bluetooth 2.0 only and not Apple qualified - so it will not work with the iPad. 

With the PF portable you need external power connected to the device when using Airconnect and, as above, neither version of the Airconnect works correctly but the older one (with the pin number on the label) can be modified to work reliably.  See PM.

Alastair

Hello Alastair,
Could you describe the Modification of the older Airconnect to make it reliable? This would help many people... 
Thanks!
Thomas

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search