Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

compatibility on ADS-B-in Sentry device to Skydemon on iPAD

Author
t
Too Much Forum (54 reputation)Too Much Forum (54 reputation)Too Much Forum (54 reputation)Too Much Forum (54 reputation)Too Much Forum (54 reputation)Too Much Forum (54 reputation)Too Much Forum (54 reputation)Too Much Forum (54 reputation)Too Much Forum (54 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi folks,
it looks like my favorite Garmin GDL50 (I'm using for IFR together with Garmin Pilot) will never work with Skydemon but:
I just came across a new GPS/ADS-B/attitude . . kid on the block: The Foreflight Sentry build by uAvionix. This one looks really promising. Great battery life, CO detection, included suction mount, less than half the price of the iLevil, more handy than the PilotAware. I read that a couple of you guys where able to connect other uAvionix devices to Skydemon in the past. So I'm wondering if somebody already tried the Sentry and could share her/his experiences here? (officially I saw only Foreflight compatibility so far)

Thx
Talisa  

Edited 7/11/2018 8:31:34 AM by tgebhard
TouchTheSky
T
Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)
tgebhard - 7/11/2018 8:27:55 AM
Hi folks,
it looks like my favorite Garmin GDL50 (I'm using for IFR together with Garmin Pilot) will never work with Skydemon but:
I just came across a new GPS/ADS-B/attitude . . kid on the block: The Foreflight Sentry build by uAvionix. This one looks really promising. Great battery life, CO detection, included suction mount, less than half the price of the iLevil, more handy than the PilotAware. I read that a couple of you guys where able to connect other uAvionix devices to Skydemon in the past. So I'm wondering if somebody already tried the Sentry and could share her/his experiences here? (officially I saw only Foreflight compatibility so far)

Thx
Talisa  

Indeed a cool device, I don't think it has shipped yet even in the US so no chance to test it so far. One thing I don't understand is how this new device relates to the earlier announced SkyEcho 2, both look VERY similar. It seems that this device may have a similar product cycle as the ForeFlight Scout which was first offered by uAvionics and then was inherited by FF. Or it will simply be sold in the US by FF under a separate brand and e.g. in Europe it will be sold by uAvionics directly like they do for the FF Scout which is sold by www.uavionics.nl as PingUSB. Anyway, Sentry supports GDL90 so there is a good chance that it will work with SD.

Edited 7/11/2018 10:08:02 AM by TouchTheSky
tgebhard
t
Too Much Forum (54 reputation)Too Much Forum (54 reputation)Too Much Forum (54 reputation)Too Much Forum (54 reputation)Too Much Forum (54 reputation)Too Much Forum (54 reputation)Too Much Forum (54 reputation)Too Much Forum (54 reputation)Too Much Forum (54 reputation)
TouchTheSky - 7/11/2018 10:01:42 AM
Hi folks,

Thx
Talisa  

Indeed a cool device, I don't think it has shipped yet even in the US so no chance to test it so far. One thing I don't understand is how this new device relates to the earlier announced SkyEcho 2, both look VERY similar. It seems that this device may have a similar product cycle as the ForeFlight Scout which was first offered by uAvionics and then was inherited by FF.
Anyway, Sentry supports GDL90 so there is a good chance that it will work with SD.

The Sentry can be ordered by amazon and will ship by July 19th for 499USD + customs. 
If I got the description correct the major difference to the SkyEcho 2 is: 
Echo2:
- intended to be approved at least in the UK later on in EASA area
- ADS-B in AND out
- SBAS (Egnos?) GPS

SENTRY
- mainly intended for US market
- SBAS (WAAS) GPS
- CO detection

Edited 7/11/2018 11:00:15 AM by tgebhard
TouchTheSky
T
Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)
tgebhard - 7/11/2018 10:15:20 AM
Hi folks,

Thx
Talisa  

Indeed a cool device, I don't think it has shipped yet even in the US so no chance to test it so far. One thing I don't understand is how this new device relates to the earlier announced SkyEcho 2, both look VERY similar. It seems that this device may have a similar product cycle as the ForeFlight Scout which was first offered by uAvionics and then was inherited by FF.
Anyway, Sentry supports GDL90 so there is a good chance that it will work with SD.

The Sentry can be ordered by amazon and will ship by July 19th for 499USD + customs. 
Echo2:
- intended to be approved at least in the UK
- ADS-B in AND out
- SBAS GPS

SENTRY
- WAAS GPS
- CO detection
- barometric altitude  
- attitude detection

Thanks for summarizing, let's see who is the first to test SENTRY in Europe.

TouchTheSky
T
TouchTheSky - 7/11/2018 10:23:09 AM
Hi folks,

Thx
Talisa  

Echo2:
- ADS-B in AND out
- SBAS GPS

SENTRY
- WAAS GPS
- CO detection
- barometric altitude  
- attitude detection

Sentry is designed to work exclusively with ForeFlight Mobile, see here:

tgebhard
t
TouchTheSky - 7/13/2018 10:58:20 AM
Hi folks,

Thx
Talisa  

Echo2:
- ADS-B in AND out
- SBAS GPS

SENTRY
- WAAS GPS
- CO detection
- barometric altitude  
- attitude detection

Maybe we move this to a PN instead as it seams that just we two are keen on this topic. I touched based with Christian Ramsey from uAvionix on this. He stated:

"Sentry is also not a GDL90 interface, so it will not workwith apps other than ForeFlight initially - although I am told that FF willmake the SDK open to other EFB apps to integrate with it.  I don't haveany idea on the schedule for that, and the decision is up to the EFB provider,obviously."

Thomas
Thomas
Too Much Forum (665 reputation)Too Much Forum (665 reputation)Too Much Forum (665 reputation)Too Much Forum (665 reputation)Too Much Forum (665 reputation)Too Much Forum (665 reputation)Too Much Forum (665 reputation)Too Much Forum (665 reputation)Too Much Forum (665 reputation)
I do own a Sentry now. Works perfect with Foreflight. No chance to get it connected to SD so far.
Thomas
Thomas
Too Much Forum (665 reputation)Too Much Forum (665 reputation)Too Much Forum (665 reputation)Too Much Forum (665 reputation)Too Much Forum (665 reputation)Too Much Forum (665 reputation)Too Much Forum (665 reputation)Too Much Forum (665 reputation)Too Much Forum (665 reputation)
tgebhard - 7/13/2018 12:21:03 PM
Hi folks,

Thx
Talisa  

Echo2:
- ADS-B in AND out
- SBAS GPS

SENTRY
- WAAS GPS
- CO detection
- barometric altitude  
- attitude detection

Maybe we move this to a PN instead as it seams that just we two are keen on this topic. I touched based with Christian Ramsey from uAvionix on this. He stated:

"Sentry is also not a GDL90 interface, so it will not workwith apps other than ForeFlight initially - although I am told that FF willmake the SDK open to other EFB apps to integrate with it.  I don't haveany idea on the schedule for that, and the decision is up to the EFB provider,obviously."

Any news here in the meanwhile?

tgebhard
t
Thomas - 6/11/2019 1:28:30 PM
tgebhard - 7/13/2018 12:21:03 PM
Hi folks,

Thx
Talisa  

Echo2:
- ADS-B in AND out
- SBAS GPS

SENTRY
- WAAS GPS
- CO detection
- barometric altitude  
- attitude detection

Any news here in the meanwhile?

Hi Thomas,
pls. see Christian's remark above. I would suggest to touch base with FF if they have opened their SDK to others in the meantime and than to SD if they have (or intend to) integrated the FF interface into SD. As far as I know this is not the case for now. But who knows? 
If you got additional insight pls. post these here as well. Would be interested as well. 
Currently I'm using the SkyEcho2 what is almost the same as the Sentry from the very same manufacturer and interoperates well with FF AND SD. (SkyEcho2 has FLARM reception on board that can be shown in SD - might be an advantage when flying a in areas with lots of gliders as me. Unfortunately it does not carries the attitude sensor that can be used for synthetic vision in FF)

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search