Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Feature request: improved cloud storage / waypoints / routes / aircraft

Author
m
Junior Member (14 reputation)Junior Member (14 reputation)Junior Member (14 reputation)Junior Member (14 reputation)Junior Member (14 reputation)Junior Member (14 reputation)Junior Member (14 reputation)Junior Member (14 reputation)Junior Member (14 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
H‌i,

I‌'m very pleased with SD over the last 9 months of use. I use it variously (not concurrently) across 5 devices (one windows laptop and one windows pc, both fairly regularly for at home planning; and two android tablets for out of home planning, e.g. in our flight club briefing room, and one android phone on a RAM mount for navigating in cockpit).

G‌enerally speaking, I think the cross-device / cloud storage could be tidied. Currently it is inconsistent and clunky, and easy to make a few mistakes to get out of sync or lose work across devices.
‌‌
S‌pecific examples:

1‌. Routes. On PC, if I open a route from cloud, then I have to save to cloud and overwrite what was there because just selecting save will store locally and not in cloud (meaning I can easily accidently start working from an older version on my other PC / tablet) -- why not default the save to be back to where I loaded it from? On tablet, it does save automatically both to cloud and local storage, which is what I want. I'm not sure of the specific solution for you, my personal preference is for everything to be cloud based, but I gather other use cases might be to store local. ‌‌Maybe configuration options would be useful: default open/close to cloud, always backup to local.

2‌. Waypoints. The Save to Cloud overwrites the cloud, the Load from Cloud overwrites the local. Adding waypoints in different PC/devices easily ends in mistakenly overwriting or missing out on waypoints, have already done this. If I use waypoints in a route on a device, then open that route on another device, the waypoints are not there and not part of the route, annoyingly. When I do load them, they are not connected to the turning point.

3‌. Aircraft. Similar annoyances with warnings about aircraft definitions and the cloud.

Love your product, but feels like the storage management has been evolved/bolted-on and needs a good solid refactoring.

T‌hanks!

‌‌‌M
‌‌
emporer
e
Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
msgr - 6/28/2018 8:58:00 PM
Hi,

I'm very pleased with SD over the last 9 months of use. I use it variously (not concurrently) across 5 devices (one windows laptop and one windows pc, both fairly regularly for at home planning; and two android tablets for out of home planning, e.g. in our flight club briefing room, and one android phone on a RAM mount for navigating in cockpit).

Generally speaking, I think the cross-device / cloud storage could be tidied. Currently it is inconsistent and clunky, and easy to make a few mistakes to get out of sync or lose work across devices.

Specific examples:

1. Routes. On PC, if I open a route from cloud, then I have to save to cloud and overwrite what was there because just selecting save will store locally and not in cloud (meaning I can easily accidently start working from an older version on my other PC / tablet) -- why not default the save to be back to where I loaded it from? On tablet, it does save automatically both to cloud and local storage, which is what I want. I'm not sure of the specific solution for you, my personal preference is for everything to be cloud based, but I gather other use cases might be to store local. Maybe configuration options would be useful: default open/close to cloud, always backup to local.

2. Waypoints. The Save to Cloud overwrites the cloud, the Load from Cloud overwrites the local. Adding waypoints in different PC/devices easily ends in mistakenly overwriting or missing out on waypoints, have already done this. If I use waypoints in a route on a device, then open that route on another device, the waypoints are not there and not part of the route, annoyingly. When I do load them, they are not connected to the turning point.

3. Aircraft. Similar annoyances with warnings about aircraft definitions and the cloud.

Love your product, but feels like the storage management has been evolved/bolted-on and needs a good solid refactoring.

Thanks!

M

The cloud and local saving is really a mess if you work with several devices. As M described you mess up waypoints, aircrafts and routes if you not immediately manually sync the devices. I would prefer that by default SD will always keep waypoints, aircrafts and routes synced automatically to the cloud. A local copy will also be kept, in case  no internet is available.
Opening an item will always be done  from the cloud. If no internet is available the local copy will be loaded with a WARNING that the cloud is not accessible.
If saving to cloud is not possible, the saving process will be done locally, a WARNING will appear and the syncing will be done automatically later when the cloud is accessible again.
Additional required functions : Save-As, undelete, rename (performed always on all instances)

Edited 7/4/2018 1:16:04 PM by emporer
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search