Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Ease input of W&B values

Author
m
Too Much Forum (404 reputation)Too Much Forum (404 reputation)Too Much Forum (404 reputation)Too Much Forum (404 reputation)Too Much Forum (404 reputation)Too Much Forum (404 reputation)Too Much Forum (404 reputation)Too Much Forum (404 reputation)Too Much Forum (404 reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Hi
I fly a Cessna 172 with the following envelope:
* Moment = 52,5 and Weight = 1500 lbs
* Moment = 68,0 and Weight = 1950 lbs
* Moment = 88,5 and Weight = 2300 lbs
* Moment = 109,0 and Weight = 2300 lbs
* Moment = 70,5 and Weight = 1500‌‌ lbs

And when I manually do the W&B calculation, I use the Loading Graph with lines for each variant of moment factor.

From those lines I can plot the following values:
* Pilot and front passenger: Weight = 390 lbs and Moment = 14,5
* Fuel: Weight = 228 lbs and Moment = 11
* Rear passenger: Weight = 390 lbs and Moment = 28,5
* Baggage area 1: Weight = 120 lbs and Moment = 11,5
* Baggage area 2: Weight = 50 lbs and Moment = 6

And finally the manual says empty plane: Weight = 1366 lbs and Moment = 53,8‌‌.
(I know I need to read the correct values in the plane's weight and balance documentation)

SkyDemon can easily handle a W&B calculation of a plane with the above specifikation if I make the nessecary convertions from lbs to kg and from moment to length of arm.‌‌‌

My suggestion for SkyDemon is an option to enter the W&B envelope and loading points in weight‌‌ and moment as listed above. And if possible also an option for entering the W&B profile values with a different weight unit as used when entering the actual loading values.

The benefit of this suggestion is a much easier entering of W&B values with less risk of incorrect values.‌‌
I'm not sure how to implement this in SkyDemon, but the formulas to be used is simple and as far as I know also mentioned in the user manual to SkyDemon.

And finally, I miss a "Move up" and "Move down" in the list of loading points‌‌ if I missed entering a loading point. It's very easy to delete and create new loading points in the correct order, so this little extra suggestion has a low priority compared to the input of W&B values.
‌‌

Chris Tyrrell
Chris Tyrrell
Too Much Forum (240 reputation)Too Much Forum (240 reputation)Too Much Forum (240 reputation)Too Much Forum (240 reputation)Too Much Forum (240 reputation)Too Much Forum (240 reputation)Too Much Forum (240 reputation)Too Much Forum (240 reputation)Too Much Forum (240 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
In a similar vein, the Cessna 182R has a W&B profile that is different for takeoff and landing. The MTOW weight is 3100lbs which is frequently used (balancing 3 or 4 people and the fuel load) but the MLW is 2950lbs. It would be good to be able to present this on the W&B form which would eliminate the warning messages or provide both takeoff and landing warnings if fuel-burn would be insufficient for a safe landing.

It's a small point and may not apply to enough planes to warrant its inclusion.

‌‌
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search