Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

T/O + LDG Distance?

Author
f
Too Much Forum (860 reputation)Too Much Forum (860 reputation)Too Much Forum (860 reputation)Too Much Forum (860 reputation)Too Much Forum (860 reputation)Too Much Forum (860 reputation)Too Much Forum (860 reputation)Too Much Forum (860 reputation)Too Much Forum (860 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
One important calculation I am missing is take-off and landing distance. Maybe consider using the METAR inputs for density altitude etc.
spaltchr
s
Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)
Any updates on this one? It would make a good flight planning and navigation app a perfect one 👍🏼
spaltchr
s
Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)
as there are other apps capable of doing this by aircraft types and conditions i'm sure it would be possible for SF to realize a solution to that "problem" called user. just to mention iduna fly as an example. and it would be very nice to have all i legally need out of one single hand
ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)
I don't think this is going to be in the cards. The most important reason would be liability and usefulness. There are far too many variables (like, e.g., local wind, slope of the runway, grass vs. asphalt, etc.) which would render any attempt on behalf of SD to calculate a t/o or landing distance pretty useless. And beware of the pilot who trusts the number, takes off and winds up in the bushes.

-- Chris.‌

spaltchr
s
ckurz7000 - 8/31/2017 3:21:35 PM
I don't think this is going to be in the cards. The most important reason would be liability and usefulness. There are far too many variables (like, e.g., local wind, slope of the runway, grass vs. asphalt, etc.) which would render any attempt on behalf of SD to calculate a t/o or landing distance pretty useless. And beware of the pilot who trusts the number, takes off and winds up in the bushes.

-- Chris.‌

maybe you are right... but it is possible. just check that out: https://iduna-fly.com/

and why not realize one single app for everything you need to do to fly legally in general aviation?
best regards
chris (too :-))
ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)
Hi Chris,

‌‌Of course there are apps which calculate take-off and landing distance. The question is: how reliable are they? I maintain that they are very unreliable and maybe even misleading because they cannot take into account many important facts which are unknown to any app.

There is nothing like real on-location first-hand knowledge of the conditions. Taking off from a grass surface is, for example, a big unknown. How rough is the surface? How long the grass? Is it wet or dry?

The danger is that‌ an app can lead the pilot into believing the number displayed on the screen even though it may have little connection to what actually is going on. Better not to show a number and force the pilot to do his own reconnaissance and thinking.

-- Chris.‌‌‌

spaltchr
s
hi chris

well of course a pilot needs to look out the window and fly in real life in the end. and of course there will be no calculation 100% accurate. but it can give you additional information and that's helpful to increase your situational awareness. by following your arguments every POH giving you numbers on the distances is completly useless... how are you deciding wether your plane is capable of landing and taking off at a specific airport?

i just want to say that there is a requirement to do those calculations but not a single app on the market which is giving me as the pilot completly everything i need out of one single hand.

but as long as we as customers are discussing features like this and not getting to one single opinion, SD will most likely not even touch that topic...
spaltchr
s
actually it already has more flight preparation functions than navigation functions. and why not making that complete? and it could be killing poeple already today because they are looking on their tablet instead of looking out the window with a good old map in the hand...

but let's agree we don't agree on that point. and maybe someone from SD is answering to that topic one day. wish you always happy landings chris
Gerhard66
G
Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)
Aircraft are different, but pilots are different, too.

If SD would make the parameters of a general set of equations editable, I'm sure, there will be many pilots who are able to convert the graphs of the POH into parameters.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search