Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Suggestions on Android devices reg. performance

Author
Bustelli
Too Much Forum (755 reputation)Too Much Forum (755 reputation)Too Much Forum (755 reputation)Too Much Forum (755 reputation)Too Much Forum (755 reputation)Too Much Forum (755 reputation)Too Much Forum (755 reputation)Too Much Forum (755 reputation)Too Much Forum (755 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello Skydemon-fans,
I have been using SD from quite the beginning and still think it works best on an Ipad. My primary device is an Ipad Pro 9.7" but I always carry an Ipad mini as backup and recently I got an Honor Note 8 phablet 6.6" to play around with (this is also a lame excuse that I am getting old and the decrease of my eyesight is proportional to the increase of my tablet's screen size Wink). I think phablets are perfect since they are compact enough to still fit on my board and the screens are big enough to do serious navigation on SD unlike smartphones up to 5.7".
‌On my recent trip to Portugal (1900nm) I had a chance to compare all devices - of course SD still runs best and smooth on the Ipad Pro and still I prefer to have SD running on a second device with North-Up along with other useful apps suchs as ADL Connect (Iridium weather) or Air Connect for traffic warnings, making phone calls or stream music and keep the Ipad Pro "clean".
‌Although the Honor Note 8 (Android 7.0) has impressive techical specs and has good performance according to tests and benchmarks (geekbench4) I am not happy with the actual performance during flight - the map sections need some time to load, zooming in and out shows significant lagging. At home I installed SD on an older Huawei Media Pad M3 (Android 6.0), which is according to the technical specs and benchmarks under the performance of the Honor Note 8, but still, while trying both devices at the same time on simulation mode with identical route and details, the Huawei Media M3 runs quite smooth compared to the Note 8. Now I am planning to sell the Note 8 and get a stronger device and need some advice. The new Samsung S8+ or to be released Note? are great, but I think overpriced for this application. In fact I would be happy with the performance of the Huawei M3, it's just too large with 8.4". I would be thankful for any help on finding the perfect Android device (>6") in the future.
Michael

Bustelli
Bustelli
Too Much Forum (755 reputation)Too Much Forum (755 reputation)Too Much Forum (755 reputation)Too Much Forum (755 reputation)Too Much Forum (755 reputation)Too Much Forum (755 reputation)Too Much Forum (755 reputation)Too Much Forum (755 reputation)Too Much Forum (755 reputation)
Bustelli - 6/30/2017 10:44:19 AM
Hello Skydemon-fans,
I have been using SD from quite the beginning and still think it works best on an Ipad. My primary device is an Ipad Pro 9.7" but I always carry an Ipad mini as backup and recently I got an Honor Note 8 phablet 6.6" to play around with (this is also a lame excuse that I am getting old and the decrease of my eyesight is proportional to the increase of my tablet's screen size Wink). I think phablets are perfect since they are compact enough to still fit on my board and the screens are big enough to do serious navigation on SD unlike smartphones up to 5.7".
‌On my recent trip to Portugal (1900nm) I had a chance to compare all devices - of course SD still runs best and smooth on the Ipad Pro and still I prefer to have SD running on a second device with North-Up along with other useful apps suchs as ADL Connect (Iridium weather) or Air Connect for traffic warnings, making phone calls or stream music and keep the Ipad Pro "clean".
‌Although the Honor Note 8 (Android 7.0) has impressive techical specs and has good performance according to tests and benchmarks (geekbench4) I am not happy with the actual performance during flight - the map sections need some time to load, zooming in and out shows significant lagging. At home I installed SD on an older Huawei Media Pad M3 (Android 6.0), which is according to the technical specs and benchmarks under the performance of the Honor Note 8, but still, while trying both devices at the same time on simulation mode with identical route and details, the Huawei Media M3 runs quite smooth compared to the Note 8. Now I am planning to sell the Note 8 and get a stronger device and need some advice. The new Samsung S8+ or to be released Note? are great, but I think overpriced for this application. In fact I would be happy with the performance of the Huawei M3, it's just too large with 8.4". I would be thankful for any help on finding the perfect Android device (>6") in the future.
Michael

Over the past weeks I was able to test more Android devices with +6" screens with Dual SIM and I came to the following results. After selling the Honor Note 8 which really performed badly and above all the UI's behaviour was quite unsatisfying I switched to another popular import brand, Xiaomi, and ordered the stylish Xiaomi Mi Mix 128GB.
Although performance was much better than the ‌Honor Note 8‌, the map's smoothness and performance was still quite away from the Ipad, so I kept looking...I found the Xiaomi Max 2 64GB (6.44") which I just received today. The hardware is really not highend (Android 7.1.1) and the geekbench 4 results were quite average.... but SD's performance was a big surprise! I tested it in simulation mode and the map movements (zooming in and out, Terrain Safe) were quite impressive for an Android device and compared to the several devices I tested so far, especially for a phone with a price of €223,- this is the perfect choice (the Xiaomi Max 2 is the phone with SD running).

Edited 8/9/2017 12:44:22 PM by Bustelli
derWessi
derWessi
Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)
Hi Michael,

did you use the same version of SD for all your comparison tests?
I ask, because the recent Android update 3.8.2 gave a big performance boost esp. for the map rendering.

Regards,
Andreas‌‌

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search