Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Navigation : What tablet do you use for cockpit navigation

Author
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
One thing to be aware of is that the WiFi only iPad does NOT have an internal GPS, so it becomes necessary to use an external GPS source such as Bad Elf. If you want an iPad with an internal GPS you should choose the 4G model but you do NOT need a SIM card in order to be able to use the internal GPS, contrary to what some retailers will tell you. However, with a SIM card, you will have the convenience of being able to update NOTAM and weather in the absence of WiFi assuming, of course, that you have a 4G signal.

A‌s far as internal storage is concerned, my philosophy is to get as much as you can afford. You can never have too much internal storage in my opinion!‌

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

Vincent BAZILLIO
Vincent BAZILLIO
Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)
Regarding the memory size needed, here is the slide I use during my tablet presentation. Sorry, it's in french. It displays the size of some GA aviation applications on my iPad. Skydemon for a french user needs only 1.8 Gb including all visual approach charts.

Vincent B.
(St-Cyr/LFPZ, Toussus/LFPN, San Diego/KMYF)
Check my blog : http://20-100-video.blogspot.com

Edited 10/4/2017 9:25:01 AM by vbazillio
skystar
s
Too Much Forum (168 reputation)Too Much Forum (168 reputation)Too Much Forum (168 reputation)Too Much Forum (168 reputation)Too Much Forum (168 reputation)Too Much Forum (168 reputation)Too Much Forum (168 reputation)Too Much Forum (168 reputation)Too Much Forum (168 reputation)
Hello again,
thank you all for your comments!‌
As I don't have a big clue‌ of all these different iPads or alternatives over the years I assume that - 2 be on the safe side - I will have to buy a new Wi-Fi & Cellular iPad (so with internal GPS - no 2nd device needed, what I don't want - and iOS, to have no update-problems) and 128 GB + a SIM-card to be able to update NOTAM and weather at least on the ground before departure. That's the full option solution ;-). The iPad 128 GB costs me - here in Germany - around 659 Euros plus SIM-card. But that should do it then in any case, I hope. The price difference between 32 and 128 GB is around 100 Euros, so that also doesn't matter then any more. So I give up thinking and looking forward to use state of the art Apple-equipment in a small clockwork aircraft from the early middle-age (PA 28 w/ ADF/ VOR/ no DME)...

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)
I think that figure for SkyDemon above is wrong. SkyDemon's France chart is about 15mb or less, so you'd be talking about a few hundred megs even with every French VAC downloaded.
Vincent BAZILLIO
Vincent BAZILLIO
Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 10/4/2017 2:41:41 PM
I think that figure for SkyDemon above is wrong. SkyDemon's France chart is about 15mb or less, so you'd be talking about a few hundred megs even with every French VAC downloaded.

I'm not in front of my iPad but you're certainly right. Checking on my iPhone, Skydemon app size is 30.6mb and data/documents weight 534.3mb. Will check on my iPad this evening (and update my slide). Maybe have I other countries downloaded.

T‌hanks !

Vincent B.

Kilian Swannet
Kilian Swannet
Too Much Forum (405 reputation)Too Much Forum (405 reputation)Too Much Forum (405 reputation)Too Much Forum (405 reputation)Too Much Forum (405 reputation)Too Much Forum (405 reputation)Too Much Forum (405 reputation)Too Much Forum (405 reputation)Too Much Forum (405 reputation)
I have been using my Galaxy Tab S2 for 2 years and it works flawlessly. there is a newer version now but if you want the S2 you can get it for 300EUR. I am not a fan of Apple products. With the S2 you don't have to worry about GPS, memory is expandable, there is a version that supports cellular and it only costs half as much as an iPad.
Vincent BAZILLIO
Vincent BAZILLIO
About the size taken by Skydemon on my iPad. I had Switzerland & UK installed. I have also some PDF document. Even after unselected the CH and UK country, "Document & Data" from the storage info on my iPad still display 1.86Gb. No big deal on my iPad, but size is un-explained so far.

Vincent B.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)
Documents like AIPs don't get uninstalled when you untick charts. I would say with that size, you have at some point downloaded many entire AIPs to your device.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search