Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Plotting an airstrip found on Google Maps on SD

Author
2greens1red
Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
What's the easiest way of plotting an undocumented airstrip, found on Google Maps, on SD?

I've looked at Custom Data, but the light hasn't dawned.

Currently I create a Waypoint where I know it is roughly, and via the created SD Waypoint, see where it takes me on Google Maps, and then shift it manually (after 5 or 6 attempts) until it is a best fit.

There has to be a better way?

And related query, if one knows the Lat / Long of the airstrip, what format is accepted in SD?

Thanks.

George Reid
George Reid
Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)
To get the coordinates of a feature in Google Maps take the following actions

Identify the feature in Google Maps
Place the mouse pointer on the feature
Right Click
Select "Whats Here" option
The feature will be described in a pop up box containing the Lat & Long.

SD User Waypoints use the format Nddmmss Wdddmmss

In Google Maps Westerly Longitude values are negative.

George E A Reid

Ipad Mini 5,  IOS 14.4,  SD 3.15.0.288
PC(Win 10, Version 19041.804)  SD 3.15.0.0

2greens1red
2greens1red
Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)
That's great, thank you (and apologies, as forgot I asked this some time ago).

Is there any way of entering an airstrip/airfield with the correct symbol, rather than as a waypoint?

Should I be using Data Creator, and if so, are there any clues to its operation?
Edited 5/3/2015 8:34:02 PM by 2greens1red
GyroTom
GyroTom
Too Much Forum (380 reputation)Too Much Forum (380 reputation)Too Much Forum (380 reputation)Too Much Forum (380 reputation)Too Much Forum (380 reputation)Too Much Forum (380 reputation)Too Much Forum (380 reputation)Too Much Forum (380 reputation)Too Much Forum (380 reputation)
HI there

I have been struggling to do the same

Perhaps the easiest way to explain how to do it - is to show the example for one created by the custom data creator

Click on Setup, custom data, create custom data
Then to create an airfield click on airfields
then left main file column click New file (in my case tocreate then new one of UK)
Thrne in the right column click pn new and up will pop the airfield editor
and pop in the data and coordinates

I also used google earth to find the  coordinates to use

I dragged an untitled placemark onto one end of the airstrip and then copied and pasted in the coordinates and then removed the unneeded symbols and adjusted the format to match what skydemon likes.

Then I did the same for the other end of the strip and Magic an nice skydemon airstrip

I just wish I could understand how to get the circle and polygon functions to work and then the world would truly be my oyster!

Tom

Renzo
R
Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)
GyroTom - 5/17/2015 6:10:52 PM
HI there

I have been struggling to do the same

Perhaps the easiest way to explain how to do it - is to show the example for one created by the custom data creator

Click on Setup, custom data, create custom data
Then to create an airfield click on airfields
then left main file column click New file (in my case tocreate then new one of UK)
Thrne in the right column click pn new and up will pop the airfield editor
and pop in the data and coordinates

I also used google earth to find the  coordinates to use

I dragged an untitled placemark onto one end of the airstrip and then copied and pasted in the coordinates and then removed the unneeded symbols and adjusted the format to match what skydemon likes.

Then I did the same for the other end of the strip and Magic an nice skydemon airstrip

I just wish I could understand how to get the circle and polygon functions to work and then the world would truly be my oyster!

Tom

Hi forum,

I struggled also entering the coordinates to an airfield into the Sky Demon Data Creator and I found out:
Search your desired point e.g from Google Maps‌/Earth, select the data which reads:

49°16'17.8"N 12°46'41.9"E

To enter the data properly e.g into the "Position"field for an airfield you have to re-format the string above into this format:

N491617.80  E0124641.90
Nddmmss.ss<blank><blank>Eddmmss.ss‌ ‌‌

IMPORTANT NOTE:
  • there have to be TWO spaces (blank) between the N and E-coordinates!
  • don´t use the decimal-values which are also shown in Google maps/earth
‌‌
‌I did not check yet wether this format works for thrershold-positions etc. as well but I guess it will. :-)

Have fun creating new airfields and much more‌‌!
R‌enzo
‌‌‌

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search