Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Feature request: permanently disable wind predictions for route planning (plus explain the wind...

Author
Russ_H
Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Inputting 0/0 has no effect (win 10), the wind speed stays the same and when I return to the setting it is back on auto

Edited 3/16/2019 9:49:17 AM by Russ_H
Russ_H
Russ_H
Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)
P.S. If anyone still doubts the need for this feature, try working on a flight plan for a month ahead from abergavenny to kikbride involving some complicated airspace needing a few course changes in an aircraft that cruises at 60 knots using today's wind (ok I could change the date, but with no idea of weather a month ahead using nil wind is the most convenient and logical baseline)

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
This was solved years ago. You simply enter 0/0 to override the wind settings to nil for any/all legs. If you're having problems achieving this, give us a call and we will talk you through it.
Oliver Seack
O
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 3/18/2019 11:01:14 AM
This was solved years ago. You simply enter 0/0 to override the wind settings to nil for any/all legs. If you're having problems achieving this, give us a call and we will talk you through it.

Hi Tim,

the integration of the GFS wind forecast model date dependent on up to +24h time, location and altitude is really a very powerful feature of SkyDemon. I love it and do not want to miss it for flight preparation on the day of flight and the day before! It is really great!!!

However, when planning a route weeks and month ahead (as I am doing a lot to prepare longer flights to foreign countries) and today's wind conditions are 30 knots tail or head wind, the whole ETEs and calculated fuel consumption in the Pilot Log can get quite unrealistic compared the actual might opposite conditions during the flight.

Thus, I was very happy to find a hint in the manual that the automatic wind forecast data can be overridden manually :-)

However I had the same problem as Russ_H: I couldn't find the menu/function to override the wind of all legs manually in the Windows 10 version of SkyDmeon Plan. The SD manual is easy to understand for the Andoid App. No Problem with that.

But finding it in the PC version was really tedious for me. The problem for me was to recognize the "Weather Tools" button in the weather window as button. When I did look at the weather window, as suggested by the manual, I thought "Weather Tools" is just a tab w/o any function behind it.

This was due to the fact that the button text has no boundary around it, which optically characterizes it as an button, one can press on. The background colour and the button colour are identical. Only if you move over the button by chance, it will switch is color. But as it is located so far up in the right corner I actually did never hit it arbitrarily.
The second reason was, I did not interpret the button names "Weather Tools" as "Here you can find some nice powerful tools to manipulate the weather" Instead I was thinking "Why did they add a second headline "Weather Tools" if the window has already a headline "Weather".

I was really desperate as couldn't find it. I was just on my way to request this feature, when I found this discussion in the SD forum.

There are two things, which really would have helped me to find it much more easily:

1. If the word "Weather Tools" would have appeared and explained with a single sentence in the manual and
  2. if a simple small picture would exist, saying "Just click on this button "Weather Tools"!"

I would really appreciate to find these small pieces of additional information in a future version of the  SD manual and I think many more beginners with SD would be grateful too.

Best Regards,

Oliver

Edited 1/9/2020 9:23:34 PM by Oliver Seack
Hannah@SkyDemon
Hannah@SkyDemon
Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)
Thanks for your feedback.  A small edit has been made in the User Guide, which will appear after the next update.
Johannes B.
J
Too Much Forum (300 reputation)Too Much Forum (300 reputation)Too Much Forum (300 reputation)Too Much Forum (300 reputation)Too Much Forum (300 reputation)Too Much Forum (300 reputation)Too Much Forum (300 reputation)Too Much Forum (300 reputation)Too Much Forum (300 reputation)
The easiest way to disable wind forecast values for flights in the future is to change the departure date in the pull down menu to the date of the planned flight or at least 5 days in the future, which will disable winds aloft due to missing forecast values...

YouTube channel
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search