Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Map display option "identifiers" does not seem to work!

Author
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Ah, I thought that the chart styles behaved somewhat akin to CSS (cascading style sheets) in html in that they set certain style elements, with contents provided from a different source.

If you encapsulate design AND function in each chart style then you're in a pickle. It's not nice. Now you have to think about how to wean people off their style which they grew accustomed to. And if you decide to implement a new feature you now have to implement it in every style (or leave the user wondering why some things don't seem to work in his preferred style). If you change a feature, ditto. Implementing a higher degree of user customization (i.e., change the colors) becomes difficult.

It's probably way too late in the game for a paradigm shift, but I still think that separating appearance and function is the way to go.

Anyway, thanks for the answer. I will try to get used to one of the SD chart styles.

Thanks, -- Chris.
lhe
lhe
Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)
I agree with ckurz7000 that the SD GUI does most thing right. It is truly a great piece of software. If it wasn't then I wouldn't make the effort of complaining about things I think are done wrong. So, please Tim, take any complaints as compliments Wink

As far as the chart styles go, I have been using one of the "native" SD chart styles from the start, but I was very surprised when I first learned through the forum that the choice of chart style affects what program features are available. That is indeed quite counter-intuitive.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
It really shouldn't be. I would have thought it obvious that a chart style designed to mimic a paper chart would lack many (or all) of the dynamic features that vector charts bring to the table. But there you go; everybody is different.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search