Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Small ones----Screen Size

Author
Sixty Seven
Too Much Forum (886 reputation)Too Much Forum (886 reputation)Too Much Forum (886 reputation)Too Much Forum (886 reputation)Too Much Forum (886 reputation)Too Much Forum (886 reputation)Too Much Forum (886 reputation)Too Much Forum (886 reputation)Too Much Forum (886 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dear All

I am really interested to know how well Skydemon runs on smaller screens as I'd like to update my GPS. I currently use a Garmin 96 (~2.5") so even 4" will seem large.

~7" Android/Apple tablets seem very popular but unfortunately in my small bubble canopy cockpit I'd like something smaller, as it has to go on a kneeboard and I have a side stick right up against my leg. Skydemon offer 5" for their WinCE device so I assume that is OK. What about running it on Android phones less than 5" anyone like to comment? Personally I am not a fan of big screen mobile phones so I have to decide to either run Skydemon on my day to day phone (my current 3.3" and Android 2.3 so I would have to upgrade anyway perhaps up to to 4") or purchase a larger(and bright) 5" one dedicated just for Skydemon.

Thanks in advance.

N

Edited 2/20/2014 1:18:56 PM by Sixty Seven
Rob-PA7RM
Rob-PA7RM
Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)
At the moment i'm running it on my iPhone 4. It's enough for me now, but i'm thinking to try the Asus google nexus 7. Not sure yet. Same dilemma as you.

Greetings
R.M. de Vries
www.pa7rm.nl
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)
Hi

I ran SD on my HTC One (4.9 inch screen) whilst waiting for the Nexus 7 (2013) to become available and find both very satisfactory. Although I tend to use the Nexus more these days, because of the larger screen, I do still use the HTC from time to time. Horses for courses I suppose.

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

Sixty Seven
Sixty Seven
Too Much Forum (886 reputation)Too Much Forum (886 reputation)Too Much Forum (886 reputation)Too Much Forum (886 reputation)Too Much Forum (886 reputation)Too Much Forum (886 reputation)Too Much Forum (886 reputation)Too Much Forum (886 reputation)Too Much Forum (886 reputation)
Hello R.M. de Vries

A google gives the iphone 4 screen at 3.5", and you say that works ok, so if I stick to3.5 to 4" max all should be well is that right ?

Nick
Sixty Seven
Sixty Seven
Actually another point. I am searching around to see what Smartphones-Android are available 4" ish screen size

Does the screen resolution matter much?

Nick
Sixty Seven
Sixty Seven
So I took the plunge and bought a Motorola Razr i off e-bay(£95 unlocked) with a 4.3" screen and 960x540 res. Tried it today with memory map (can I say that on here ?) on a flight with plenty of sun in my bubble canopy it is definitely brighter that the Garmin 96, but also the AMOLED screen has excellent contrast which also helps, viewing angles are at least as good perhaps a little better interestingly the GPS on this phone is not a juicy as my last Sony ray but somehow I doubt I'll get the 20 hours or so battery life I got from the GARMIN (with AA batteries so easy to carry spares). So I am going to have to rig up some power, modify my kneeboard then I'll download the 30 day trial version and report back. Will be a while to get the most from the trial I need to wait until a few flying windows of opportunity appear. More to follow. Nick
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search