SkyDemon Forums

Integrated GPS Devices on Windows 8

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic9589.aspx

By mdovey - 6/10/2013 9:29:53 PM

It appears that integrated GPS devices on Windows 8 e.g. on Windows tablets are accessible via the Windows Location API and not via a Com port (this applies to Win 8 Pro as well as RT).

As such this means you can't use skydemon with such integrate GPS devices since this only works through com port access.

Are there any plans to support the Windows Location API.

Matthew
By Richardd55 - 2/12/2014 9:54:54 AM

**** UPDATE ****

New Localizer version 4 and new licence file installed April 2014.
Generic Sat Nav software Memory Map and Skydemon now able to use inbuilt Broadcom GNSS in Win8.1 Asus Vivotab
Altitude and position reporting seems accurate enough with acceptable update interval. Start up reading of the datastream can be slow.
Installation frustrating. Must be installed and RUN as administrator or it crashes. This can be automated through Windows.
Once correctly installed and RUN as administrator, assigning a COM port (eg COM6) is easy.
If Localizer continues to work well I will give this 5 stars after testing in the air.

Original Post for Localizer v 3

To say that the failure of Microsoft to make provision for Existing Generic GPS software to access inbuilt GNSS under WIN8 is short sighted is an understatement.

Under win 8.0 the localizer software and SD (and another Sat nav Mapping application) worked well enough. Since upgrading to Win 8.1 I have had little luck getting the SD Navigation mode to run using Localizer (M Map still works ok)

Solutions seen to revolve around

SD writing the navigation element to address the Win Location platform instead of (or as well as) com ports and so removing the need for a product like Localizer

or Broadcomm/Asus producing an updated GNSS driver

or Centrafuze doing some reprogramming

People using generic marine software are having exactly the same issues. It's a mess that leaves us consumers very frustrated

I had some success using the Lenovo GNSS driver under win 8.1 but it wasn't perfect - often taking 5 to 10 mins to find satellites, so for the time being I've rolled back to the default GNSS driver and use this for M Map and a Bluetooth GPS receiver for SD

Richard