SkyDemon Forums

Fuel planning on an multiple stop trip WITHIN one tank filling

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic33490.aspx

By flyinghuebi - 5/23/2021 11:12:40 PM

Hi out there. I read a lot in this forum about fuel planning in SD. Even the pros and cons of making a whole new fuel calculation each stop I plan (with the "land here" function) vs. calculating with the remaining fuel.

BTW, I also plead for a fuel calculation possibility for the whole trip. With calclulate on base of remaining fuel (if you need more votes for that Wink)!

But I found so far no answer for a mostly common problem we have (expect of "do it manually"):

- I recently plan a trip of about 2 hours flight time. That is absolutely within my tank capacity WHITOUT any refuelling including reserves.
- The trip has four stops (or more. But even with one stop the problem exists)
- At each leg I get a fuel calculation by SD including the 30 min. holding.
This makes about 120 minutes of holdings/reserve on a 120 minute flight with 4 stops. That does really not make sense!

Altough I do understand why you (until now Wink) decided not to implement a feature that calculates the fuel based on the remaining amout after first landing, I cannot find a way to tell SD "please use the 30 Min. Holding and contingency JUST ONCE".

Is there a way to do so which I simply not found?

It is absolutely clear that I can plan a flight without "land here" and ad manually the amount of fuel for landing and departure/take off. But that is IMHO much more critical and error-prone, than computing with the reamining fuel I think. 

A suggestion for that often discussed topic could be: In the settings offer a checkbox which says "Plan or do not plan reserve/holding/contingency after each landing". If you want add "we highly recommend to leave this active". Or an explanation "If you turn this to off reserve/holding/contingency fuel will be calculates just once for the whole trip".

But the - in my opinion -  best solution is the here in the forum often suggested way to calculate a multiple stop (or sector) with the remaining fuel and send a warning when there is not enough fuel for further legs.

Thank for your suggestions on my question above, hints and answers

Daniel

By flyinghuebi - 6/4/2021 7:29:17 PM

Thanks Tim for being that transparent and honest. And giving me a chance to argue and explain. Sure push it over to the suggestions. Happy weekend and thanks Smile