SkyDemon Forums

Copy Raw Flight Plan?

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic29096.aspx

By airborne - 8/25/2019 6:30:51 PM

Another workaround: Open SD's flight plan feature and copy / paste routing and remarks to a browser-based flight plan tool, on your iOS device or on your Mac (with Universal Clipboard). Enter additional information by hand and file flight plan with browser-based flight plan tool.
By Marcel - 8/30/2019 10:30:10 AM

airborne - 8/28/2019 4:11:02 PM
Tim Dawson - 8/28/2019 10:07:36 AM
There is no such thing as standard "flight plan status" for VFR flightplans. SkyDemon lets you delay, cancel and close flightplans once they have been filed.

With other tools, I get confirmations, error messages etc. I can check whether my flight plan was opened etc. I am in particular referring to the tools offered by DFS and Skyguide.

That was not my questions, however. I was asking whether the draft of a raw flight plan created with SD could be copied to be filed with another tool. It would save some time: SD is a great tool for flight planning and navigation, but it's in my opinion not yet on par with the above-mentioned tools offered by DFS and Skyguide.

Actually this is what I do - copying the flight plan route into DFS... (but unfortunately there is no complete raw-code to copy&paste. Hence entering the aircraft data, or having it as a template in DFS, and then copying the routing etc into the DFS-form...)

By airborne - 7/27/2019 11:08:50 AM

Is it possible to copy a raw flight plan created but not yet filed with SD?

I am asking because SD is really good at creating flight plans from planned routes. However, SD is in my opinion not the best tool to file a flight plan because filing a flight plan with SD is mainly 'fire and forget' (and make telephone calls etc.).

It would therefore be useful if created flight plans could be copied (and pasted into another tool with additional features such as flight plan status).

(I am aware of the 'Flightplan Response Received' feature in beta. It is useful but is still not a replacement for other tools where you get a flight plan status, can close a flight plan etc.)
By Tim Dawson - 10/9/2019 3:03:13 PM

I've never personally heard of another national tool that can accept flightplans in that raw format.
By bkj5 - 10/18/2019 9:10:20 AM

Tim Dawson - 10/9/2019 3:03:13 PM
I've never personally heard of another national tool that can accept flightplans in that raw format.

If it is of help, here is the helpfile of austrocontrol (see Flightplan Service - Import Flightplan):

By erchegyia - 2/10/2022 8:11:45 AM

Tim Dawson - 9/5/2019 4:12:19 PM
there is no such thing as a standard for VFR flightplans. DFS can offer it to you providing your flightplan is concerned only with Germany as a departure, as they also do all the flightplan routing. Same with Skyguide in Switzerland.

SkyDemon is an international tool and works outside those regions, where there is no standardisation for VFR flightplan "status".

it doesn't mean you cannot implement country-specific features (like getting status -accepted, departed, arrived- notifications) for German/Swiss domestic FPLs, does it?

I couldn't find a way to:
- make a change without cancellation (pe. POB or endurance, maybe even routing)
- send a DEP message (SkyDemon could even do this automatically when airborne)
is it possible?

Could anybody confirm if closing the FPL in SkyDemon means an "ARR" message? (it would be nice also to send this automatically when the user logs on-block)
By Tim Dawson - 2/17/2022 12:29:15 PM

There is no standard way to make a change to a VFR flightplan. Cancelling and re-filing is the way to go. Any service that allows making a change is just silently doing that, which of course you can easily do with SkyDemon as it generates the completed flightplan for you.

We have considered adding the ability to send a DEP message previously, but there simply hasn't been much demand for such a feature.

SkyDemon already sends an ARR message when you close a flightplan (that's what closing a flightplan means) but we would not wish to automate the feature unless lots of people seemed to want us to do that.
By Tim Dawson - 9/5/2019 4:12:19 PM

No, there isn't such a tool in SkyDemon. The reason is as I outlined above: there is no such thing as a standard for VFR flightplans. DFS can offer it to you providing your flightplan is concerned only with Germany as a departure, as they also do all the flightplan routing. Same with Skyguide in Switzerland.

SkyDemon is an international tool and works outside those regions, where there is no standardisation for VFR flightplan "status".
By Tim Dawson - 8/28/2019 10:07:36 AM

There is no such thing as standard "flight plan status" for VFR flightplans. SkyDemon lets you delay, cancel and close flightplans once they have been filed.
By airborne - 8/28/2019 4:11:02 PM

Tim Dawson - 8/28/2019 10:07:36 AM

With other tools, I get confirmations, error messages etc. I can check whether my flight plan was opened etc. I am in particular referring to the tools offered by DFS and Skyguide.

That was not my questions, however. I was asking whether the draft of a raw flight plan created with SD could be copied to be filed with another tool. It would save some time: SD is a great tool for flight planning and navigation, but it's in my opinion not yet on par with the above-mentioned tools offered by DFS and Skyguide.

By bjornbostrom - 10/8/2019 8:11:05 PM

Tim Dawson - 9/5/2019 4:12:19 PM
No, there isn't such a tool in SkyDemon. The reason is as I outlined above: there is no such thing as a standard for VFR flightplans. DFS can offer it to you providing your flightplan is concerned only with Germany as a departure, as they also do all the flightplan routing. Same with Skyguide in Switzerland.

Hi!
I would also vote for a function to "export" a flightplan from SkyDemon. At least in Sweden we are used to file our flightplans through Flight Planning Centre at Arlanda (ESSA) via their web page. They allow one to import a flightplan in the ATS ICAO format, and it would be great to have the possibility to export an ATS ICAO format from SkyDemon. Example:

(FPL-SELFV-IG
-P28A/L-SD/C
-ESSB1500
-N0150A050 DCT TRS DCT
-ESSB0100 ESKN
-DOF/181231
-E/0500 P/001
A/W
C/Sven Svensson +468123456)

From Flight Planning Centre's webpage it is then easy to follow the status of the submission, if you get a FLIGHTPLAN ACK or if it's rejected. 

I understand that SkyDemon is an international tool, but why dont just offer a way to export to the ATS ICAO format? Isn't that some kind of strandard?

// björn