SkyDemon Forums

SkyDemon freezes or crashes when connected to WiFi

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic27833.aspx

By b3nn0 - 4/16/2019 2:14:39 PM

Seeing the same issue. But I'm pretty sure that this is not a stratux bug. It also happens with other devices (as OP said, iLevil. And - no matter what stratux does, crashing is certainly not the right way to deal with it).
And yes, it is clearly related to network usage by skydemon. Somehow Skydemon seems to block the main thread while waiting for network i/o (until it times out eventually). This is definitely a skydemon issue. Also, it seems to be a rather new issue. I think I didn't have that problem in older Skydemon versions.
Basically, whenever the Android devices is connected to a Wifi without internet connection and Skydemon is set to use data, it will freeze occasionally.

By b3nn0 - 4/30/2019 12:20:00 PM

Sorry for the double post - any official news on this? It is really quite annoying..
I have used the report functionality of the "App not responding" dialog - no idea if it helps.
(EDIT: I'm a full-time Android developer, even though Java, not C#. If I can do anything to help, let me know)

By Tim Dawson - 5/1/2019 10:06:06 AM

You might like to contact our technical support about this. I have no knowledge of it but I do know we haven't changed our network connectivity on Android lately.
By b3nn0 - 5/1/2019 11:53:08 AM

Did that - also happens in the latest beta, by the way.
By ZorgroZ - 6/15/2019 5:04:24 PM

The problem is unfortunately still present under Android with the current version of SkyDemon (3.12.7.22564). I've tested on four devices now:
* Motorola G5 Plus
* Motorola G7 Plus
* Kindle Fire HD 8
* Kindle Fire HD 10

I've tried various settings in both Stratux and SkyDemon. Whenever SkyDemon is connected to the Stratux wifi, it freezes. On iOS everything works as expected.

I'm quite desperate to get this working for safety reasons. Tim / SkyDemon support, would you be able to look into this please?
By b3nn0 - 6/15/2019 6:04:39 PM

ZorgroZ - 6/15/2019 5:04:24 PM
The problem is unfortunately still present under Android with the current version of SkyDemon (3.12.7.22564). I've tested on four devices now:
* Motorola G5 Plus
* Motorola G7 Plus
* Kindle Fire HD 8
* Kindle Fire HD 10

I've tried various settings in both Stratux and SkyDemon. Whenever SkyDemon is connected to the Stratux wifi, it freezes. On iOS everything works as expected.

I'm quite desperate to get this working for safety reasons. Tim / SkyDemon support, would you be able to look into this please?

I had a quite lengthy discussion with their support until they finally admitted it was a bug in SD.
Anyway, you have two options:
1) Install the latest Stratux European Edition image on your Stratux, which contains a workaround (it configures Android's network interface slightly different): https://github.com/b3nn0/stratux/releases
OR
2) Install the latest SD beta for Android, where they have fixed the issue properly:
By ZorgroZ - 6/15/2019 7:58:43 PM

b3nn0 - 6/15/2019 6:04:39 PM
* Motorola G5 Plus
* Motorola G7 Plus
* Kindle Fire HD 8
* Kindle Fire HD 10

I had a quite lengthy discussion with their support until they finally admitted it was a bug in SD.
1) Install the latest Stratux European Edition image on your Stratux, which contains a workaround (it configures Android's network interface slightly different): https://github.com/b3nn0/stratux/releases
OR
2) Install the latest SD beta for Android, where they have fixed the issue properly:

Thanks b3nn0. I just tried the latest version of your European Stratux release, but the problem is still there, on both my Kindle Fire HD 8 and my Motorola Moto G7 Plus.

(I didn't see a configuration setting for "SkyDemon Android disconnect bug workaround", so I changed /etc/stratux.conf directly, setting the corresponding variable to "true". That should be ok, right?

Will now try the latest SkyDemon beta and report back.
By ZorgroZ - 6/15/2019 8:24:02 PM

ZorgroZ - 6/15/2019 7:58:43 PM
* Motorola G5 Plus
* Motorola G7 Plus
* Kindle Fire HD 8
* Kindle Fire HD 10

OR

Thanks b3nn0. I just tried the latest version of your European Stratux release, but the problem is still there, on both my Kindle Fire HD 8 and my Motorola Moto G7 Plus.

(I didn't see a configuration setting for "SkyDemon Android disconnect bug workaround", so I changed /etc/stratux.conf directly, setting the corresponding variable to "true". That should be ok, right?

Combination of latest SkyDemon beta and your latest Stratux image seems to work on both Kindle Fire HD8 and Motorola Moto G7 Plus. No freezes observed in more than ten minutes.

Will do a test flight tomorrow and let you know if any further issues.
By ZorgroZ - 2/19/2019 10:21:14 AM

SkyDemon locks up periodically (or even crashes) when my device is connected to one of the on-board Wi-Fi networks of my plane:
* Stratux (versions 1.5b1 and 1.5b2)
* iLevil AHRS Mini

After a few seconds, SkyDemon becomes unresponsive or crashes. This happens regardless whether in planning or navigation mode (doesn't matter if I have third-party device enabled in settings or not).

SkyDemon is able to connect to my Stratux and receive GPS position and traffic, but alas only for a few seconds before it locks up or crashes.

I have tried SkyDemon on Android on the following devices: Moto G5 Plus, Amazon Kindle HD Fire 8 and 10. I have tried different recent SkyDemon versions (latest stable 3.11.2, and beta 3.11.3.26929). I have tried different SkyDemon settings, and cleared the application cache of SkyDemon.

SkyDemon does not have this issue when the device is connected to a regular wifi of my home. So I'm suspecting that the messages that those wifi devices are sending (GDL90, NMEA) are throwing off SkyDemon for some reason.

Do you have any ideas what could cause this, and how I can further diagnose the issue?
By ZorgroZ - 6/17/2019 8:44:45 PM

ZorgroZ - 6/15/2019 8:24:02 PM
ZorgroZ - 6/15/2019 7:58:43 PM
* Motorola G5 Plus
* Motorola G7 Plus
* Kindle Fire HD 8
* Kindle Fire HD 10

OR

Combination of latest SkyDemon beta and your latest Stratux image seems to work on both Kindle Fire HD8 and Motorola Moto G7 Plus. No freezes observed in more than ten minutes.

Will do a test flight tomorrow and let you know if any further issues.

Reporting no issues in 3.5 hours of flight. Tried both my Motorola Moto G7 Plus and my Kindle Fire HD8.

The Stratux saw both ADS-B and Flarm signals.

Thanks b3nn0 for your great work on the European Stratux image (I hope you will continue maintaining it), and to SkyDemon for fixing this long-standing issue!