SkyDemon Forums

FIS-B weather display

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic25858.aspx

By T67M - 4/23/2018 3:19:08 PM

Having tried a few flights with FIS-B weather reception enabled, I've come across a couple of issues which prevent it being an entirely satisfactory experience, one of which has been reported before, one issue I think is new, and one is a more general observation.

F‌irst, the weather overlay obscures the ground navigation features, and when weather is being received using FIS-B, there doesn't appear to be any way to turn this off, potentially causing a reduction in usefulness of SkyDemon as a navigation tool.

S‌econd, if you have flown near a FIS-B station and then move out of range‌‌‌, the entire map gains a pink-tinge which is indistinguishable from the colouring used to indicated ATZs and other surface-level controlled airspace. This is obviously highly undesirable.

F‌inally, the weather appears to only show rainfall. Whilst this is useful, I also want to know where cloud is at or near my current altitude. With the SERA rules requiring flights to be 1000' from cloud, having a display which shows the cloud level as well as rainfall location would be very useful.

Thanks as always for adding more features - and hopefully we can make them easier to use if we work together.