SkyDemon Forums

Pop up comment

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic22852.aspx

By Gax - 4/18/2017 12:36:27 PM

Absolutely! One example would be a prompt I could use for French radio calls as you get near a french-only airport, or airstrip details not stored in the database.
By Martin Bech - 4/18/2017 1:26:46 PM

Gax - 4/18/2017 12:36:27 PM
Absolutely! One example would be a prompt I could use for French radio calls as you get near a french-only airport, or airstrip details not stored in the database.

Get my support! Since SkyDemon will not implement a "remember to close flight plan" switch/popup, this option could be used.
By JoelJacob - 5/29/2017 10:00:12 AM

I have already asked for this one times ago.

‌‌In France, for example, you have a huge number of Danger Areas or Restricted Areas that need a prior radio contact with the Military zone manager (using a specific frequency, of course) if you want to transit.

IMHO, the best way to implement it is to add a "comment" field to the waypoint dialog. The comment should be displayed when hitting the waypoint and printed in the PLOG (and saved with the flightplan of course).

By Skyboy999 - 5/29/2017 4:10:52 PM

Thanks. Still think this has much merit but I fear lack of supporting replies will mean it won't be taken forward.
So, fellow forum members, if you agree, then please support.
By Ashkirby - 5/29/2017 7:53:12 PM

Sounds like a useful idea to me, definitely something I would use!
By derWessi - 5/30/2017 6:00:14 AM

+1

Nice‌ Idea. ‌

There could be two kinds of trigger points: waypoints on the route and user defined triggerpoints that are independent from an active route. There should be also the possibility to define the trigger radius together with the message.
By pgppvt@gmail.com - 5/30/2017 1:24:35 PM

Any useful and personal remind linked along the planned route can strongly help the pilot in cross-check
By pgppvt@gmail.com - 5/30/2017 1:36:44 PM

JoelJacob - 5/29/2017 10:00:12 AM
I have already asked for this one times ago.

‌‌In France, for example, you have a huge number of Danger Areas or Restricted Areas that need a prior radio contact with the Military zone manager (using a specific frequency, of course) if you want to transit.

IMHO, the best way to implement it is to add a "comment" field to the waypoint dialog. The comment should be displayed when hitting the waypoint and printed in the PLOG (and saved with the flightplan of course).

I think the better solution could be the creation of "Notes" (with specific icon) linked to a route in the flight plannig phase.
By pgppvt@gmail.com - 5/30/2017 1:41:03 PM

Skyboy999 - 4/15/2017 6:47:48 AM
Would be useful to be able to insert a free format comment into planned route and for this to pop up for acknowledgement when in proximity.

This solution can meet my yesterday suggestion about a Timer creation.

By Tim Dawson - 7/4/2018 11:00:15 AM

This idea doesn't yet have enough support for it to make it onto our development schedule. It needs more support, and consistent ideas by contributors as to how it should work.
By Skyboy999 - 7/5/2018 7:05:53 AM

SemperFi - 7/4/2018 10:33:32 PM
I tried to get the idea and maybe got it halfway. In my daily flying I do use the User Waypoint for such things, i.e. put a waypoint enroute named 'call 121.50' and get all information via the usual features - ETE to, distance etceteras. The only thing you wanna add is a pop up of a notes field to the user waypoint with more text to put? I don't feel that is necessary, but I am an old fart using my memory while flying ...

Yes, can see that would work in part but what I was looking for was the ability to attach notes to a point on route and have these pop up when approaching or in vicinity. Creating a user waypoint seems sub-optimal as would be restrictive on number of characters and, of course, create a waypoint that isn't really a waypoint. I had in mind something more like the pop up message that warns of approaching airspace but user-definable.
By Tim Dawson - 7/9/2018 8:46:03 AM

There are too many variables which haven't been agreed upon. How close to your point do you need to get? Then how far away, before the trigger is reset and you can activate it again? Should the alert persist on screen as long as you're in proximity? When should it go away? What if you don't notice it because you're flying, and then when you look down at the screen it has disappeared because you passed it?
By derWessi - 7/9/2018 12:49:12 PM

Tim Dawson - 7/9/2018 8:46:03 AM
There are too many variables which haven't been agreed upon. How close to your point do you need to get? Then how far away, before the trigger is reset and you can activate it again? Should the alert persist on screen as long as you're in proximity? When should it go away? What if you don't notice it because you're flying, and then when you look down at the screen it has disappeared because you passed it?

Hi Tim,

Regarding the range I would suggest to handle it in similar way as you already do with obstruction/airspace warnings or if feasible simply let the user define a trigger radius (in miles or time to approach) around the waypoint. The pop up should just stay open until dismissed/acknowledged  by the user. That way the user can't miss it. Regarding the trigger reset I would suggest to suppress further pop up for the same waypoint until the user is outside the trigger radius for longer than a certain time (e.g. 3 min). In this way, different types of aircraft with their different speeds would be automatically taken into account. Did I miss something?

Regards,
Andreas

By Skyboy999 - 7/9/2018 1:13:28 PM

derWessi - 7/9/2018 12:49:12 PM

Hi Tim,

Regarding the range I would suggest to handle it in similar way as you already do with obstruction/airspace warnings or if feasible simply let the user define a trigger radius (in miles or time to approach) around the waypoint. The pop up should just stay open until dismissed/acknowledged  by the user. That way the user can't miss it. Regarding the trigger reset I would suggest to suppress further pop up for the same waypoint until the user is outside the trigger radius for longer than a certain time (e.g. 3 min). In this way, different types of aircraft with their different speeds would be automatically taken into account. Did I miss something?

Regards,
Andreas

By Skyboy999 - 7/9/2018 1:13:30 PM

Hi Tim,

Regards,
Andreas

By Skyboy999 - 7/9/2018 6:18:51 PM

Hi Tim,

Regards,
Andreas

Agree entirely- proximity per airspace, appear once, stay until cancelled.
By Skyboy999 - 4/15/2017 6:47:48 AM

Would be useful to be able to insert a free format comment into planned route and for this to pop up for acknowledgement when in proximity.
By ckurz7000 - 6/2/2017 9:01:43 AM

Absolutely a +1 from me!!!!

Select a point On the route, associate a freeform message with it and have it pop up when you reach it. -- Chris.
By Skyboy999 - 6/30/2023 3:12:24 PM

Thought worthwhile to flag this up again. There have been many subsequent requests along similar lines; lots of likes so believe there is real support for this. Workarounds by using waypoints don't really cut it. Thanks
By Skyboy999 - 7/18/2023 11:07:49 AM

Tim- you had asked for thoughts on how this might work and I've been considering along with the issues you had highlighted. How about:
1) ability to create a comment in route via touching/'what's here/create route comment. I'm thinking along the lines of how you would create a waypoint but the difference being the comment would be attached to the route at that location rather than the map.
2) when flying, the presence of a comment would show up with a symbol and touching/'what's here would allow viewing
Hopefully, this would take away the questions you had about proximity etc?
Thanks for consideration
By Tim Dawson - 7/19/2023 10:53:58 AM

Interesting, so you'd attach a note which would presumably be recorded against a certain distance along your route. I can see how that would work. What would happen to the notes when the user changed the route by making it longer or shorter before the note?
By Skyboy999 - 7/19/2023 2:58:13 PM

I was thinking the note would be geotagged so nothing would happen to it if route changed
By Tim Dawson - 7/20/2023 9:20:13 AM

So a note attached to a location would continue to float there even if the route was dragged away from there?
By Skyboy999 - 7/20/2023 9:41:52 AM

I had envisaged the note would float with the route but appreciate that could be problematic to implement in which case your idea of distance in route (or from prior waypoint?) could satisfy and user would have to be aware of consequence should route subsequently be changed.
By Tim Dawson - 7/21/2023 10:01:12 AM

I have no particular horse in this race, I'm just curious when people suggest something like this, how exactly they imagine it working when of course routes can (and do) change, sometimes in flight, which would affect whether (and when) such a popup was displayed. It's still not something that is requested very often.
By RV12Flyer - 9/20/2023 10:38:53 AM

I would also like to propose a Single use or One off Pop Up.

That is a user created Message / Alert / Comment or Reminder

This could be accessed within the current Skydemon Timers creation section.

Eg. at ???mins a one time Pop up displays that has to be user cancelled. Not Transient or Persistent.

By derWessi - 7/2/2018 2:09:33 PM

Hi,

I would like to push this up again.
Are there any plans to implement this feature in near future?

In addition to the waypoint triggered pop up messages I  also would like to suggest to have the possibility to add user defined comments/notes associated to a planed route.
These notes could then be stored together with the route data and synced over all devices and ideally also printed with the briefing pack.

Thanks for considering.

Regards,
Andreas
By jlaffan - 4/25/2019 7:47:51 PM

I had the same request, like a virtual WPT along the route that you could add notes to for FREDA, ATC Calls, level changes, reminders etc rather than just timed reminders for fuel tank changes etc these couild be linked to proximity. i.e. 15nm mile out GET ATIS 123.XXX
By frederic - 4/26/2019 5:06:43 AM

I also support this suggestion (in the same way of Andreas)
I think that anything that can improve SD and is not too time-consuming is interesting to take.