SkyDemon Forums

Hide airspace class "E" possible?

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic21561.aspx

By Chris_LSZO - 4/19/2017 2:46:47 PM

+1
By Tim Dawson - 4/20/2017 9:24:19 AM

We have added an option to turn off just class E airspace on the map, in the forthcoming version of SkyDemon.

Please note that you can already disable warnings/alerts about entering class E.‌‌
By berndalfred - 4/20/2017 9:29:27 AM

Tim Dawson - 4/20/2017 9:24:19 AM
We have added an option to turn off just class E airspace on the map, in the forthcoming version of SkyDemon.

Please note that you can already disable warnings/alerts about entering class E.‌‌

+1
By ZorgroZ - 5/7/2017 10:34:29 AM

Tim Dawson - 4/20/2017 9:24:19 AM

‌Is this Mapping -> Airspace -> Controlled E (in the latest beta, 3.8.0.22878)?
By Tim Dawson - 5/8/2017 9:09:19 AM

Yes
By EHOW flyer - 5/14/2017 8:07:29 AM

In fact the idea to hide E airspaces is IMO not born with 'good airmanship' as reference.
Airspace E is an airspace where a mix of VFR and IFR is very likely, and yes you are free to enter this airspace without clearance or even any radio contact, but once entering this airspace there are restrictions on visibility and distances to clouds. So for flight planning and awareness during the flight this is essential information. The option to switch warnings ON or OFF must be enough. 
W‌hat is the next step in hiding essential information...? I hope SD will encourage a certain minimum level in safety, just my concern as both a VFR and IFR pilot.
By Tim Dawson - 5/15/2017 3:06:02 PM

EHOW Flyer and Gax, thanks for your input. Unfortunately the time where we could have acted on it (during the beta period where this feature was in testing) is over, and the feature has shipped.
By wokno - 5/20/2017 8:51:23 PM

The disabling of the display of airspace E‌‌ seem to be a bit inconsistent. E is still visible in the virtual radar an in the "what is here" graphics. (on the PC)

regards
Wolfgang‌‌‌‌

‌‌

By Bumelbee - 3/4/2017 7:42:08 PM

Hi, I was wondering, if it is possible to hide class "E" in order to declutter the map a bit more. Echo is controlled airspace, though it does not need a clearance, any warnings about it or even it showing on the map is for me rather annoying.

It would be a nice feature to not only choose between controlled and on the uncontrolled airspace showing but in addition to deactivate Echo. Maybe this feature already and I just don't find it.

Best regards
By Bumelbee - 4/28/2017 7:47:32 PM

Perfect and thank you very much! That really shows, the SkyDemon community works an is alive.

I am looking forward to the upcoming version where it is possible to disable Echo. Perhaps right now I am planning different routes through the French airspace and this will be a very useful tool, because the airspace is already clustered with Charlie and restricted airspace so putting away echo will make it a bit easier.

Thanks again and happy landings.

Greetings from www.edmy.de

By Gax - 5/14/2017 5:04:56 PM

I kind of with EHOW on this one. Whilst a lot of Class E seems exactly like class G to the average VFR pilot, there are instances where it's important to be aware of it. For example, Scotland uses Class E for a few of its airways - VFR pilots should probably be aware of these and be in contact with ATC, even if strictly not required
By Bumelbee - 5/14/2017 6:00:03 PM

There was always the possibility to disable controlled airspace. Now this is taken just step further so the pilot in command can decide for himself, which airspace he prefers to show. So where is the deal? And there was always the option to disable airspaces above or below some altitude. It's good the way it is now.
By alexis.hellen@gmail.com - 5/14/2017 6:14:39 PM

EHOW flyer - 5/14/2017 8:07:29 AM
In fact the idea to hide E airspaces is IMO not born with 'good airmanship' as reference.
Airspace E is an airspace where a mix of VFR and IFR is very likely, and yes you are free to enter this airspace without clearance or even any radio contact, but once entering this airspace there are restrictions on visibility and distances to clouds. So for flight planning and awareness during the flight this is essential information. The option to switch warnings ON or OFF must be enough. 
W‌hat is the next step in hiding essential information...? I hope SD will encourage a certain minimum level in safety, just my concern as both a VFR and IFR pilot.

Hello, 
I‌ fly in Switzerland: mountains and valleys. This means that we are constantly going from G to E and back, when one climbs to pass the mountains, theft dive into the valleys. This can happen 20 times an hour on a typical sight seeing flight in the Alps. 
Cheers,
Alexis‌
By Tim Dawson - 5/25/2017 1:38:15 AM

That has always been the case with airspace, I believe. The purpose of hiding on the main map is to declutter it, but Virtual Radar doesn't get cluttered in the same way, and it's always good to see what's coming.