Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

iPad Data Roaming SIM

Author
Steve T
Too Much Forum (5.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I've just been informed both by o2 and 3 that they do not support Pay as You Go (or contract) Data Roaming for iPads. So if abroad and you need to access the internet for flight planning, and no WiFi is available, what do you do?

Buying separate SIMs for each country does not seem to be a viable solution either.

I realise this is an Apple not SD problem but it does seriously inhibit the use of SD on the iPad for touring abraod.
nwhite007
nwhite007
Too Much Forum (3.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.8K reputation)
Vodafone do, I have an ipad mini running skydemon, I have gone for a sim only data deal with Vodafone, £7.50 a month on a 30 day rolling contract for 1 GB of data per month. I try to fly 2 to 3 times a month and have never got anywhere near data limit, skydemon hardly uses any data and I always have it on for up-to date metar Tafs etc. I also use the iPad when out and about for internet etc on the 3G if no wireless available, £7.50 a month - bargain!

Regards

Nigel
Steve T
Steve T
Too Much Forum (5.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.2K reputation)
Many thanks for that information Nigel, I will give it a go.

I was told by o2 and 3 that data roaming with the iPad was not allowed because the EU demand that the user be informed by the telephone companies when a certain limit of expenditure has been reached and the iPad can't receive these messages.
G-OIBM
G-OIBM
Too Much Forum (9.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.4K reputation)
Another way is to use your phone (with data roaming already applied) and use it as a wirless hotspot (tether) that you can connect your iPad. The iPad will 'see' your phone as a wireless source available; so simply connect your iPad (either via wirless or USB) to your phone.

I use this with my iPad mini and Nexus 7 and both work seamlessly.

Hugh

Regards

Hugh

G-OIBM

Commander 114
ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)
What Vodafone and O2 told you is a crock of bull. I use data roaming all the time. I have an Austrian A1 contract and buy roaming packages add ons as needed when I go abroad. They are about 15 EUR for 250 MB, IIRC.

-- Chris.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search