Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Dedicated MD or iPAD mini

Author
Duncan
Too Much Forum (244 reputation)Too Much Forum (244 reputation)Too Much Forum (244 reputation)Too Much Forum (244 reputation)Too Much Forum (244 reputation)Too Much Forum (244 reputation)Too Much Forum (244 reputation)Too Much Forum (244 reputation)Too Much Forum (244 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Guys,

I have been playing around with various GPS devices with a view to making my first purchase - looking for something that supports flight planning as well providing a GPS backup to VRP / VOR navigation and have pretty much settled on Sky Demon.

However, would be interested in the forum's opinions on whether to go with the dedicated MD or the iPAD mini version. Personally I prefer dedicated devices, however, the versatility of the iPAD especially during transition from planning in the 'ops room' to live flight looks very appealing.

Views, opinions and recommendations welcome.

Best wishes,

Duncan.
Nosoup4you
Nosoup4you
Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)
The iPad Mini, in my mind, is the perfect device for flying - size, functionality, battery life, value for money and that's just for running Skydemon.

If you get the 3G version, you've got a bunch of added stuff too - more up to date weather, access to charts and other data on the fly, the list goes on.

Add to the mix that you end up with a device that you can also use for non-flying activity, and it's a no brainer for me.

Ian

Posted from an iPad (which on this particular forum is actually one thing the iPad seems to struggle with!)
minners
minners
Too Much Forum (205 reputation)Too Much Forum (205 reputation)Too Much Forum (205 reputation)Too Much Forum (205 reputation)Too Much Forum (205 reputation)Too Much Forum (205 reputation)Too Much Forum (205 reputation)Too Much Forum (205 reputation)Too Much Forum (205 reputation)
Just a thought, if you need 3G for a pseudo GPS (GNSS) what happens if you are halfway across the pond and you lose cellular coverage?

I'm thinking of an iPad mini and this is the only thing that is preventing me from going for it.
stevelup
stevelup
Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)
Group: Moderators
The 3G iPad Mini does not need a cellular signal to provide an accurate GPS position.
wrecker
wrecker
Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)
I use an Ipad mini which is panel mounted using a Ram mount. I also pair it with a GNS1000 bluetooth GPS Rx it works wonderfully. This combination provides an excellent HSI
maxpilot66
maxpilot66
Too Much Forum (215 reputation)Too Much Forum (215 reputation)Too Much Forum (215 reputation)Too Much Forum (215 reputation)Too Much Forum (215 reputation)Too Much Forum (215 reputation)Too Much Forum (215 reputation)Too Much Forum (215 reputation)Too Much Forum (215 reputation)
Hallo there,

sorry if I could post in the wrong side, just to ask if anyone says what is UNDO button for, on top of the screen of SD app for iPad mini. Thanks
nje
nje
Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)
The 'undo' allows you to 'undo' your last action, as one example. if you plan a route with 3 legs, then click 'undo' , your, last action, your last leg entered will be undone and removed. or if you change a flight level under 'flight details' click undo and it will revert back to whatever was there before.

Hope that helps
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search