Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

iPad4 and GNS1000

Author
Terence Scotcher
Too Much Forum (985 reputation)Too Much Forum (985 reputation)Too Much Forum (985 reputation)Too Much Forum (985 reputation)Too Much Forum (985 reputation)Too Much Forum (985 reputation)Too Much Forum (985 reputation)Too Much Forum (985 reputation)Too Much Forum (985 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have an iPad4 (no internal GPS) with the GNS1000 external GPS.
It just won't work, the aeroplane symbol is yellow for a few seconds, then red.
I've tried turning location service off and on, and resetting the location.
I've also power cycled my iPad.
I have the latest version of IOS.
The GNS1000 has GPS lock and Bluetooth communication with the iPad.
I've tried resetting the GNS1000.
Nothing works - has anyone else solved this problem?

Regards,
Terry
stevelup
stevelup
Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Grab this free app:-

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/gps-device-data/id445995921?mt=8

If the red light is blinking once per second, then your GPS is correctly paired and the iPad is using the location data.
Hannah@SkyDemon
Hannah@SkyDemon
Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)
Even if Location Services itself is switch on, you need to ensure that individual apps within the Location Services window are also toggled to 'On'. Open your iPad Settings app, then tap on Privacy, then Location Services and you will see a list of apps using GPS. Make sure SkyDemon is on, and you'll find that next time you tap Go Flying you will get a GPS fix.
Martin Temple
Martin Temple
Too Much Forum (621 reputation)Too Much Forum (621 reputation)Too Much Forum (621 reputation)Too Much Forum (621 reputation)Too Much Forum (621 reputation)Too Much Forum (621 reputation)Too Much Forum (621 reputation)Too Much Forum (621 reputation)Too Much Forum (621 reputation)
I have a mini ipad wi fi only and use a GNS1000. Up till recently the system has worked as it should but now does exactly the same as have yellow aircraft and a few seconds later red 0.0 GS ETA NXT, ALT Wind all have red cross.
The prevoius answer suggested a one second red light blink should be there. Mine has never done this. Still working on this. Do the folk at Skydemon have any suggestions?
By the way I have my ipad mini tethered to a Samsung i9000 and this works a treat for wifi signal
Martin Temple
Martin Temple
Too Much Forum (621 reputation)Too Much Forum (621 reputation)Too Much Forum (621 reputation)Too Much Forum (621 reputation)Too Much Forum (621 reputation)Too Much Forum (621 reputation)Too Much Forum (621 reputation)Too Much Forum (621 reputation)Too Much Forum (621 reputation)
Hi Hannah,

Yes, checked all you suggested still same problem. The system has been working fine until recently and always check settings before flight.
Still stumped.
Martin Temple
Martin Temple
Without changing any of the previously discussed settings I switched off the ipad and switched on again. Go flying now works as advertised. That simple?
Martin
MikeM
MikeM
Too Much Forum (217 reputation)Too Much Forum (217 reputation)Too Much Forum (217 reputation)Too Much Forum (217 reputation)Too Much Forum (217 reputation)Too Much Forum (217 reputation)Too Much Forum (217 reputation)Too Much Forum (217 reputation)Too Much Forum (217 reputation)

I’ve the same problem with an ipad mini and GNS 1000. Afterresetting the ipad, or on one occasion just switching the ipad off and on, Icould get it to work for a brief period before it stopped working again.

If you look atthe forum entry at the bottom of page 1 of the thread on ‘IPAD 3 with separate GPS’it suggests 3 potential solutions to a similar problem. Solution 2 ends withleaving the ipad connected to the internet for a few hours which I really didn't think would do anything. However after spending afew days trying everything else with no lasting solution I left the ipadrecharging overnight and connected to the internet. I don’t understand how this may have fixed it butsince then (for the last 3 days) it has seemed to work every time I open Skydemon.

May be a coincidence but worth trying.

eduardonisiguti
eduardonisiguti
Too Much Forum (181 reputation)Too Much Forum (181 reputation)Too Much Forum (181 reputation)Too Much Forum (181 reputation)Too Much Forum (181 reputation)Too Much Forum (181 reputation)Too Much Forum (181 reputation)Too Much Forum (181 reputation)Too Much Forum (181 reputation)
Generally solve restarting the iPad too.
jonroberts
jonroberts
Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)
I have an iPad3 with an internal GPS and also a BlueTooth GNS1000. Until I'd say iOS6.0 I had no problems, since then I have had all sorts of intermittent GPS issues, both with the internal one and the BlueTooth one. It has got to the point that I now no longer have much faith in the iPad GPS reliability in the air. This is a broad statement I know, but that's the way I see it. I have other flying apps including the excellent Air Nav Pro which also exhibits intermittent location deafness. Not always at the same time as SkyDemon.

My gut feeling is that there is an Apple iOS bug lurking somewhere that nobody's managed to fix yet.

What has worked in the past for me, though not 100% I have to admit, is resetting 'Privacy' data including location services, rebooting the iPad and opening SkyDemon as the ONLY app for the duration of the flight.

I noticed today that I only get red, orange or blue 'triangles' on the ALT display when navigating. Strangely, blue isn't documented that I could find - but yellow is here : http://skydemon.aero/inflight/documentation/instruments.htm under the Altimeter section.

What does blue mean ??
David Johnstone
David Johnstone
Too Much Forum (728 reputation)Too Much Forum (728 reputation)Too Much Forum (728 reputation)Too Much Forum (728 reputation)Too Much Forum (728 reputation)Too Much Forum (728 reputation)Too Much Forum (728 reputation)Too Much Forum (728 reputation)Too Much Forum (728 reputation)
I have an iPad 2 with the GNS 5870 gps. Recently the in flight function has failed with the same red plane & the system stops functioning. I have checked that the Skydemon is switched on in location services. I wonder what else I can be doing wrong.

I don't know whether this is an iPad problem, a GNS 5870 problem or something else.

As I never totally rely on one Navigation system I am not at risk in the air, but it is annoying that Skydemon should be unreliable now, having been almost 100% reliable up to now.

Any suggestions.

David
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search