Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Google Earth UTM lat/log coordinates to create user waypoint - help required please!

Google Earth UTM lat/log coordinates to create user waypoint - help...
Author
dryfly52
Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am trying to create a user waypoint in SD with location data captured from google earth with no success whatsoever.

In Google earth:
Tools-->options-->show lat/long = UTM
Create a pushpin at the required waypoint location then right-click on pushpin and select properties to display the position data.

Could someone please advise how to match this data with that required by the Skydemon "Create Waypoint" dialog particulary in that GE shows Northing and Eastings and SD requires what appears to be Northing and Westing!

Many thanks in advance.
Oh dear, no sooner had I posted the above when I realised the error of my ways!

Here's what I should have done:

In Google earth:
Tools-->options-->show lat/long = Degress, Minutes, Seconds
Create a pushpin at the required waypoint location then right-click on pushpin and select properties to display the position data.
For Stoke City ground this is:-
52°59'18.04"N
2°10'31.58"W

Convert the above to following format:-
Nddmmss.decimal
Wdddmmss.decimal

In SD Create waypoint dialog enter
Position: N525918.04 W0021031.58

Hope this helps other soles that were as lost as me!
Edited 7/1/2012 12:27:32 PM by dryfly52
nje
nje
Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)
When you are in 'google' just right click over the location you want to identify and then cick 'What's here' then highlight and copy the co-ordinates from the 'google address bar'

When back in SD (create user waypoint) just paste the co-ordinates into the 'postion' line replacing those supplied by SD. Just in case you don't know. If you right click on any location on the skydemon chart, once you paste the google co-ordinates into the position line, the waypoint maker will put itself in the correct location on the chart.

Hope this answers your question
dryfly52
dryfly52
Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)
Hi nje,

Many thanks for advice.

Have just tried that and it worked a treat.

With the two methods I can now create a user waypoint from either Google Earth or Google Maps.

Great stuff.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search