Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Tablet recommendations

Author
Keithb
Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,
I'm currently running SD in the cockpit on a Nexus 7 tablet which has served me well for a number of years. I recently upgraded the OS to Android 5.1 to enable the speech alert outputs to work. This works but the tablet now is very slow and a bit flaky and I think the CPU is not really up to it any more.
Hence I'm thinking of buying some thing to replace it. I don't use the tablet for anything else other than SD so don't need the latest whizzbang spec but it needs to be a solid and reliable platform for SD in the cockpit which can do the speech synthesis and  has a good bright screen.
I'm thinking of going down the iPad route this time, Looking around I can get a refurbed iPad air or air 2 for around £100-£150  which seems reasonable. Would that be a good  choice or do folks have any recommendations?

Thanks.

Keith

Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)
Keithb - 6/16/2022 1:04:10 PM
Hello,
I'm currently running SD in the cockpit on a Nexus 7 tablet which has served me well for a number of years. I recently upgraded the OS to Android 5.1 to enable the speech alert outputs to work. This works but the tablet now is very slow and a bit flaky and I think the CPU is not really up to it any more.
Hence I'm thinking of buying some thing to replace it. I don't use the tablet for anything else other than SD so don't need the latest whizzbang spec but it needs to be a solid and reliable platform for SD in the cockpit which can do the speech synthesis and  has a good bright screen.
I'm thinking of going down the iPad route this time, Looking around I can get a refurbed iPad air or air 2 for around £100-£150  which seems reasonable. Would that be a good  choice or do folks have any recommendations?

Thanks.

Keith

When I upgraded from a Nexus 7 (the battery gave up the ghost) I went for a Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 (Android 11) and I have been well satisfied.

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
If you go the iPad route make sure you get one that will at least support the most recent iPadOS versions.
Edited 6/16/2022 7:02:25 PM by grahamb
Fabrizio Albonico
F
Too Much Forum (136 reputation)Too Much Forum (136 reputation)Too Much Forum (136 reputation)Too Much Forum (136 reputation)Too Much Forum (136 reputation)Too Much Forum (136 reputation)Too Much Forum (136 reputation)Too Much Forum (136 reputation)Too Much Forum (136 reputation)
Additionally to what GrahamB said, if you go the iPad route be sure to select a model with Cellular + Wifi, as the GPS chipset is not available on wifi-only iPads... Learned this the hard way.
This year I went from a good Huawei Mediapad (2017) to an excellent iPad Mini 5G (6th gen.). Battery lasts less, but GPS reception and the ability to use the Apple Pencil made me choose this tablet.

--
LSZA based
DA40 / SR20 / S22T / PIVI / TWEN

Keithb
Keithb
Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)
Fabrizio Albonico - 7/14/2022 11:53:47 AM
Additionally to what GrahamB said, if you go the iPad route be sure to select a model with Cellular + Wifi, as the GPS chipset is not available on wifi-only iPads... Learned this the hard way.
This year I went from a good Huawei Mediapad (2017) to an excellent iPad Mini 5G (6th gen.). Battery lasts less, but GPS reception and the ability to use the Apple Pencil made me choose this tablet.

Thanks for the replies. I went for a Samsung A7 in the end which has been fine so far. I could have got a 'refurbed' iPad for a similar price but decided t stick with a new Android device because it would come with a new battery in it. Lithium batteries deteriorate with age and are probably one of the most important bits!

Keith
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search