Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Question about winds

Author
N
Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello dear pilots! Smile I am a pilot which just finished my PPL and i am continuing my journey to build PIC hours and later CPL.

Now i have a lot of cross-country flights to be done and i wanted a program that could make my flight planning easier and faster, and SkyDemon seemed as the best option. However there are some things i don't know how to find out.

I make most flight plans 1 daye before my flight. When i finished my flightplan, how can i make SkyDemon calculate winds/wind correction for the next day? As it seems now, it calculates for the winds in real time, but i want it to calculate winds for the future, for example the next day?

How do i do that?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards
Newpilot

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)
Newpilot110 - 10/28/2020 8:26:17 AM
Hello dear pilots! Smile I am a pilot which just finished my PPL and i am continuing my journey to build PIC hours and later CPL.

Now i have a lot of cross-country flights to be done and i wanted a program that could make my flight planning easier and faster, and SkyDemon seemed as the best option. However there are some things i don't know how to find out.

I make most flight plans 1 daye before my flight. When i finished my flightplan, how can i make SkyDemon calculate winds/wind correction for the next day? As it seems now, it calculates for the winds in real time, but i want it to calculate winds for the future, for example the next day?

How do i do that?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards
Newpilot

SD will use the forecast winds for the date/time you set in the Flight Details up to about 24 hours ahead.

Alternatively you can set the wind conditions yourself (using a forecast from somewhere else) for a flight either overall or for individual legs using the ‘Set wind conditions for flight’ option on the Weather menu. 

Newpilot110
N
Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)
grahamb - 10/28/2020 9:22:37 AM

How do i do that?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards
Newpilot

SD will use the forecast winds for the date/time you set in the Flight Details up to about 24 hours ahead.

Alternatively you can set the wind conditions yourself (using a forecast from somewhere else) for a flight either overall or for individual legs using the ‘Set wind conditions for flight’ option on the Weather menu. 

Thank you for the quick reply grahamb, i found it out, i cannot understand how i did not saw such a clear thing before, but it is so simple, thanks for the help.

THere is one thing more i forgot. All my legs contain different TAS speeds, how can i make SkyDemon caculate times for one TAS speed? Because my aicraft has a cruise performance table with permanent TAS speeds corrected for RPM, pressure etc.

And my TAS should be 98 knots on the entire route, how can i make it that?

Thanks in advance.

Gerhard66
G
Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)
Newpilot110 - 10/29/2020 4:44:58 PM

How do i do that?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards
Newpilot

Thank you for the quick reply grahamb, i found it out, i cannot understand how i did not saw such a clear thing before, but it is so simple, thanks for the help.

THere is one thing more i forgot. All my legs contain different TAS speeds, how can i make SkyDemon caculate times for one TAS speed? Because my aicraft has a cruise performance table with permanent TAS speeds corrected for RPM, pressure etc.

Thanks in advance.

You can find detailed speed settings in the aircraft menu. Just step through the various items. 
SD is a quite powerful software with many features, that are sometimes not obvious.
I hate reading manuals, but I can really recommend to read the SD manual completely!

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)
Newpilot110 - 10/29/2020 4:44:58 PM

How do i do that?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards
Newpilot

Thanks in advance.

You can define your aircraft performance either as TAS or IAS.

Newpilot110
N
Thanks for all the answers, this program rocks, and works like a charm.

I fixed TAS and it calculates for the wind i want the next day, i just use forecasted winds from Windy and works so fine.

Thanks for the help guys! Smile

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search