Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Apple "Activation Lock" = iPAD trashed

Author
Nigel Bailey
Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I bought an iPAD 32GB Donkey's years ago and used it on and off, but I recognized the benefits of using it for Sky Demon. So later I bought an iPAD Mini and together with a Yoke mount I bought for my Piper Arrow III, had some really good use of it with Sky Demon on many flights of which some have been well into Europe. 
But just recently, Apple have applied an "Activation lock" that has deprived me of the use of either of these devices. Even though I bought them with my own money many years ago, they will not lift the Activation lock unless I can produce the receipts of purchase, which after a number of house moves are no more. So I am left with having to buy another tablet to run my Sky Demon on.
I will never have another Apple product ever again, so it's going to have to be an Android. So here is the question...
Please, can anyone suggest to me a good Android device that I can run Sky Demon on, that is about the same size as the iPAD Mini (so it will fit in my existing yoke mount) and has it's own internal GPS?
Many thanks.

Alf
Alf
Too Much Forum (88 reputation)Too Much Forum (88 reputation)Too Much Forum (88 reputation)Too Much Forum (88 reputation)Too Much Forum (88 reputation)Too Much Forum (88 reputation)Too Much Forum (88 reputation)Too Much Forum (88 reputation)Too Much Forum (88 reputation)
Nigel Bailey - 7/31/2019 12:38:07 PM
I bought an iPAD 32GB Donkey's years ago and used it on and off, but I recognized the benefits of using it for Sky Demon. So later I bought an iPAD Mini and together with a Yoke mount I bought for my Piper Arrow III, had some really good use of it with Sky Demon on many flights of which some have been well into Europe. 
But just recently, Apple have applied an "Activation lock" that has deprived me of the use of either of these devices. Even though I bought them with my own money many years ago, they will not lift the Activation lock unless I can produce the receipts of purchase, which after a number of house moves are no more. So I am left with having to buy another tablet to run my Sky Demon on.
I will never have another Apple product ever again, so it's going to have to be an Android. So here is the question...
Please, can anyone suggest to me a good Android device that I can run Sky Demon on, that is about the same size as the iPAD Mini (so it will fit in my existing yoke mount) and has it's own internal GPS?
Many thanks.

Hi Nigel,

there are numeous 8 inch Android tablets out there. A friend of mine uses the Xiaomi Mi Pad 4, it is a very good tablet with a bright display. The size is 199*132*8mm, please compare with your Ipad in case...

BR,
Alf

emporer
e
Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)
my samsung tab s2 did a good job for the last 3 years
Nigel Bailey
Nigel Bailey
Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)
Alf - 7/31/2019 1:55:26 PM
Nigel Bailey - 7/31/2019 12:38:07 PM
Many thanks.

Hi Nigel,

there are numeous 8 inch Android tablets out there. A friend of mine uses the Xiaomi Mi Pad 4, it is a very good tablet with a bright display. The size is 199*132*8mm, please compare with your Ipad in case...

BR,
Alf

Hi Alf
The dimensions of my iPAD Mini are 200mm x 35mm x 6mm
The yoke mount for my Arrow that I bought a few years back was made for the iPAD Mini and it clips into the unit very precisely. I'm thinking that other manufacturers will make their tablets a different size that would not fit into my present mount. I was wondering if anyone has actually had an Android that they have fitted into an iPAD mount before. But I think the only answer will be to take the yoke mount to PC world and see if one of theirs actually fits. Otherwise I will have to buy a new mount.
After this fiasco, I will never buy anything Apple again!!
Many thanks for you help Alf

Nigel Bailey
Nigel Bailey
emporer - 8/2/2019 12:03:48 PM
my samsung tab s2 did a good job for the last 3 years

Do you know what the dimensions are of your Samsung Emporer?

vfr-uk
vfr-uk
Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)
If it’s a RAM mount you can probably swap the tablet part over from iPad to a generic android device. Their US site has a great tool for checking what you need. If not RAM then it’s probably tricker.

I’ve never had a lockout from Apple in 20 years so you’ve probably been unlucky. Did they say why? Have you checked for email receipts?

On the android side I bought a tablet specifically for SD - Huawei M3Lite 8 - was great for flying with and about £140. Just updated it to the newly released M5 Lite 8 at £199. Much faster and smoother but so new you can’t get a screen protector or case yet. I prefer Apple devices but these have won me over for an affordable specific use tablet with GPS.
Edited 8/16/2019 7:32:43 AM by vfr-uk
Nigel Bailey
Nigel Bailey
vfr-uk - 8/16/2019 7:32:05 AM
If it’s a RAM mount you can probably swap the tablet part over from iPad to a generic android device. Their US site has a great tool for checking what you need. If not RAM then it’s probably tricker.

I’ve never had a lockout from Apple in 20 years so you’ve probably been unlucky. Did they say why? Have you checked for email receipts?

On the android side I bought a tablet specifically for SD - Huawei M3Lite 8 - was great for flying with and about £140. Just updated it to the newly released M5 Lite 8 at £199. Much faster and smoother but so new you can’t get a screen protector or case yet. I prefer Apple devices but these have won me over for an affordable specific use tablet with GPS.
There was no warning from Apple about slapping the Activation lock on my two iPADS. It was something to do with the Cloud and I think it happened after an update. I hardly used the 32Gb machine, but a few weeks ago, used it because my Laptop was in for repair. Then without warning the Activation lock screen came up. I went to my iPAD Mini and after a while it came up of that too. I bought both of them in Singapore years ago and they are legally mine. I can't remember the Apple login that I first used. It wasn't my normal email address because I didn't want Apple spamming me and as for the receipts, I have no idea where they might be today. So I consider that Apple are responsible for "breaking" my personal property and if I had pots full of money, would take them to court over it. Until I win the lottery, I will console myself by maintaining my determination to NEVER have another Apple product.
I'll look into the M5 Lite 8 and if there is a Yoke mount available for it. 
Many thanks.

Paul Mahony
Paul Mahony
Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)
My mate had the same problem and tried this and it worked!

Nigel Bailey
Nigel Bailey
Grila - 8/19/2019 2:57:29 PM
My mate had the same problem and tried this and it worked!

Many thanks for this Grila.
It may do the trick and I'm going to give it a try.
I've tried a few ways to get rid of the activation lock and one of them had a great website and made lots of promises and cost £20 initially, followed by another £30 or so, and then I found out it was a scam. I got my money back because they had used a money transfer service called Nochecx, and they got the money back for me. Unfortunately, Apple's attempt at increasing security and a measure to curb crime (stolen iPAD etc) have actually prompted a huge number of scams and tricks to sell people ways of overcoming it. So in a sense it has backfired spectacularly, but they're a big company and as so there is no one available to point the finger at.
Anyway, I will give it a try and report my findings here later.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search