Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

4-Letter-ICAO-identifierrs for airfields on map in Windows Version

Author
peter.kesten
Too Much Forum (171 reputation)Too Much Forum (171 reputation)Too Much Forum (171 reputation)Too Much Forum (171 reputation)Too Much Forum (171 reputation)Too Much Forum (171 reputation)Too Much Forum (171 reputation)Too Much Forum (171 reputation)Too Much Forum (171 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello everyone,

can anyone tell me, how I get the ICAO-identifiers of airfields/ports shown on map in the Windows-Version?
I know, how this works on iPhone and iPad via the "Map Settings Button" in the lower right corner in the Airfields-Section. But I have not found something similar in the Windows desktop version.

As I often use this version for planning long routes at home (and sometimes print the charts for backup there), it would be really helpful to toggle between the representations (identifier, name or both) on screen and in the printed charts. My current workaround is to plan on desktop, open on iPhone for creating the briefing pack (with Identifiers switched on) and then copy the generated PDF back to my desktop for printing or further use. That's a little bit laborious ...

Regards, Peter

pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)
If you select the setting on the mobile device, save settings to cloud on it and load settings from cloud on the PC version, you get all settings as in the mobile - quick solution without reading the manual.
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)
peter.kesten - 8/1/2019 9:54:41 AM
Hello everyone,

can anyone tell me, how I get the ICAO-identifiers of airfields/ports shown on map in the Windows-Version?
I know, how this works on iPhone and iPad via the "Map Settings Button" in the lower right corner in the Airfields-Section. But I have not found something similar in the Windows desktop version.

As I often use this version for planning long routes at home (and sometimes print the charts for backup there), it would be really helpful to toggle between the representations (identifier, name or both) on screen and in the printed charts. My current workaround is to plan on desktop, open on iPhone for creating the briefing pack (with Identifiers switched on) and then copy the generated PDF back to my desktop for printing or further use. That's a little bit laborious ...

Regards, Peter

Hi Peter

As far as I am aware, it is not possible to display airfield ICAO identifiers on the map in the PC version of SD. However, you can still search for airfields using the ICAO identifiers. Just remember to enter them in the search dialogue in upper case. Furthermore, as I'm sure you already know, if you hover your mouse pointer over an airfield, the resulting pop-up includes the ICAO identifier. I hope this might help.

Kind regards

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

peter.kesten
peter.kesten
Too Much Forum (171 reputation)Too Much Forum (171 reputation)Too Much Forum (171 reputation)Too Much Forum (171 reputation)Too Much Forum (171 reputation)Too Much Forum (171 reputation)Too Much Forum (171 reputation)Too Much Forum (171 reputation)Too Much Forum (171 reputation)
Sky Painter - 8/1/2019 10:59:03 AM
peter.kesten - 8/1/2019 9:54:41 AM
Hello everyone,

Regards, Peter

Hi Peter

As far as I am aware, it is not possible to display airfield ICAO identifiers on the map in the PC version of SD. However, you can still search for airfields using the ICAO identifiers. Just remember to enter them in the search dialogue in upper case. Furthermore, as I'm sure you already know, if you hover your mouse pointer over an airfield, the resulting pop-up includes the ICAO identifier. I hope this might help.

Kind regards

Hi Mike,
thanks for your answer. Both you mentioned I already knew and does not solve my problem. It's not because of searching airfields, it's because of having the identifiers later on in the printed charts. I want to have them there, if I i.e. have to report my position to ATC (sometimes, it's easier to use the 4 letters than "unspeakable" clear names in foreign countries ;-)
Kind regards, Peter

peter.kesten
peter.kesten
MarkusM - 8/1/2019 10:58:36 AM
If you select the setting on the mobile device, save settings to cloud on it and load settings from cloud on the PC version, you get all settings as in the mobile - quick solution without reading the manual.

Hi Markus,
nice trick. Solves it at least as a workaround. Thank you very much! Nevertheless it would be nice to have the possibility to change the naming even in the Windows version directly.

Best Regards, Peter

Hannah@SkyDemon
Hannah@SkyDemon
Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)
To show airfield ICAO identifiers on the map in SkyDemon Plan for Windows PC, open the Mapping menu on the toolbar and go to Waypoints > Show Aerodromes > Labelling.
peter.kesten
peter.kesten
Hannah@SkyDemon - 8/1/2019 11:53:07 AM
To show airfield ICAO identifiers on the map in SkyDemon Plan for Windows PC, open the Mapping menu on the toolbar and go to Waypoints > Show Aerodromes > Labelling.

wow, this idea has to come first, that the three dots behind the menu entry mean that (exceptionally) there is another menu hidden 8-). All other entries around are only to turn on and off the respective features in the map.
But thank you very much for the tip!
Best Regards, Peter

Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)
Wow! I didn't know that – and I've searched the manual diligently! I think we've all learnt something useful today. Thanks Hannah.

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search