Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Skydemon (audio) data out?

Author
C S
Too Much Forum (200 reputation)Too Much Forum (200 reputation)Too Much Forum (200 reputation)Too Much Forum (200 reputation)Too Much Forum (200 reputation)Too Much Forum (200 reputation)Too Much Forum (200 reputation)Too Much Forum (200 reputation)Too Much Forum (200 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
The annunciated voice alerts for detected (e.g. ADS-B) traffic in the new release, really are an excellent enhancement - well done SD.  

However, in a noisy cockpit, relying on the iPad's inbuilt speakers to hear it is not really feasible.  As my iPad is housed in a 'Flypad' receptacle in the panel, both its speakers - and plugging a 3.5mm jack into its audio socket to inject audio into my intercom, are effectively inhibited.  

Does anyone have any suggestions on if/how to get SD's audio relayed to a wifi device - which (as getting NMEA data data for position and route for an autopilot), might solve my problem?

Edited 2/9/2019 9:24:21 AM by knottygreg
pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)
The usual way is to couple your smartphone or tablet via Bluetooth to either the audio panel or directly to your headset.
C S
C S
Too Much Forum (200 reputation)Too Much Forum (200 reputation)Too Much Forum (200 reputation)Too Much Forum (200 reputation)Too Much Forum (200 reputation)Too Much Forum (200 reputation)Too Much Forum (200 reputation)Too Much Forum (200 reputation)Too Much Forum (200 reputation)
Thanks and I will try that. Just hoping that my SD on iPad Mini 4 setup will be able to tx/rx with other devices on both GDL90 and Bluetooth simultaneously.
PaulSS
P
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
If it's a Flypad then it is incredibly easy to plug a 3.5mm jack into the iPad. Just do it and then slide the iPad into the mount as you normally would.

I have asked the question about connecting the iPad Mini to multiple Bluetooth devices and the answer was 'no'. From another thread Tim has said the SD audio will go out over an iPad Mini's BT audio, so if you have a headset with BT capability then you could get the info that way. It's certainly top of my list of the way to get it done.

What else are you trying to achieve? NMEA messages from the iPad to your EFIS so the same route is displayed on your EFIS as is on your SD? That's certainly an interesting thought :-)  (I thought I read some time ago that a rival navigation app is able to achieve that but I'm not certain).......that's me banned from the forum :-(

C S
C S
PaulSS - 2/13/2019 9:08:07 AM
If it's a Flypad then it is incredibly easy to plug a 3.5mm jack into the iPad. Just do it and then slide the iPad into the mount as you normally would.

I have asked the question about connecting the iPad Mini to multiple Bluetooth devices and the answer was 'no'. From another thread Tim has said the SD audio will go out over an iPad Mini's BT audio, so if you have a headset with BT capability then you could get the info that way. It's certainly top of my list of the way to get it done.

What else are you trying to achieve? NMEA messages from the iPad to your EFIS so the same route is displayed on your EFIS as is on your SD? That's certainly an interesting thought :-)  (I thought I read some time ago that a rival navigation app is able to achieve that but I'm not certain).......that's me banned from the forum :-(

Paul - thanks for your reply/views.  I have since bought a cheap USB BT receiver that will go into my panel's 12v Cig-lighter socket and the audio from it will go via a 3.5mm audio jack into my panels 'music-inject' socket that is connected into my TRIG TY91 Intercom.  I haven't tried it in the air yet, but will report back.  Getting a suitable 'voice' on my iPad (and my Android) that SD can use to report traffic seems to be another step i need to tie down.

Re: audio direct from the iPad 3.5mm jack socket, my Flypad receptacle effectively rules this out - as there is no space in the Flypad for the cable to emerge from the jack if the Apple Lightning cable (that i use to power my iPad mini in the air) is also connected - hence the BT enquiry for audio out.  I bought that Flypad panel mounting direct from Crew Feighery in the US in 2011 [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zpE1_-rOcs], so maybe it's design has evolved now?

Re: Getting a physical connection of the SD route data to my Navaid head inputs, I appreciate that this is tricky and may not yet be appealing to SD since there is not yet a mass-market solution.  The Sailing boys do it however, and there are devices that will connect a handheld GPS to e.g. the autopilot on a Yacht, over Wifi - info: [http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/old-autopilot-new-wifi-mfd-200133.html].  So for now I will live with the non-automatic 'human-in-the-loop' solution that simply sets the trimmed aircraft up to fly a chosen heading by tweaking the Navaid's wing-leveller trim and knob controls to get the a/c to follow the purple route/intended track line, visually displayed by SD.  

Edited 4/15/2019 11:53:36 AM by knottygreg
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search