Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

FLARM, PilotAware, SkyEcho with SD

Author
Terence Scotcher
Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I'm keen to get some kind of electronic surveillance device in my 172, and I notice SD is now working with SkyEcho.
I already have a PilotAware that I have never managed to get working satisfactorily, and even if it did has a bunch of modules, cables, and antennae that make for a messy installation.
SkyEcho is much neater, and I'm happy to pay the £443 that it costs.
The comparative benefits of PilotAware vs ADSB have been discussed before, but has usually just resulted in an argument about whether traffic indication with altitude only is worthwhile (my opinion is it's better than nothing).
My question (finally!) is does SkyEcho do everything that PilotAware does, or does it only detect aircraft transmitting ADSB?
Does anyone have recent experience of using SkyEcho with SD?

Thanks, Terry.

Rogerthedodger
R
Too Much Forum (934 reputation)Too Much Forum (934 reputation)Too Much Forum (934 reputation)Too Much Forum (934 reputation)Too Much Forum (934 reputation)Too Much Forum (934 reputation)Too Much Forum (934 reputation)Too Much Forum (934 reputation)Too Much Forum (934 reputation)
Terry - 12/7/2018 10:54:13 AM
I'm keen to get some kind of electronic surveillance device in my 172, and I notice SD is now working with SkyEcho.
I already have a PilotAware that I have never managed to get working satisfactorily, and even if it did has a bunch of modules, cables, and antennae that make for a messy installation.
SkyEcho is much neater, and I'm happy to pay the £443 that it costs.
The comparative benefits of PilotAware vs ADSB have been discussed before, but has usually just resulted in an argument about whether traffic indication with altitude only is worthwhile (my opinion is it's better than nothing).
My question (finally!) is does SkyEcho do everything that PilotAware does, or does it only detect aircraft transmitting ADSB?
Does anyone have recent experience of using SkyEcho with SD?

Thanks, Terry.

I think we are getting a SkyEcho device as part of a conspicuity trial being carried out by the CAA. It may be a while before I have any personal experience, but as I fly usually a couple of times a week I will try and remember to post here in the future. (I also bought PilotAware a while back, but being a syndicate plane I was not able to permanently install it, so I gave up because I did not often get other traffic and because of the hassle of fitting it each time I flew).

Tony N
Tony N
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
Terry,

SkyEcho and SD will detect only ADS-B Out and now some Flarm equipped aircraft/gliders with an SD license option.
PAW receives similar plus other PAW transmitting aircraft.
there is someone with the user name of gaznav who has been using SkyEcho for a few months now.
Tony

Terence Scotcher
Terence Scotcher
Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)
That's a very interesting thread - thanks for pointing me to that.

Terry

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search