Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Wind Velocity Failure

Author
Colin Bond
Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
On my first flight yesterday, after a while, the W/V calculation failed and a red cross appeared.  During the second flight, W/V still did not calculate.  Any ideas as to what the problem may be please?  (Using latest version of SD, on an Android tablet, feed by PAW Rosetta.)
T67M
T67M
Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)
I believe the wind display is the forecast wind downloaded via WiFi/mobile data, not a calculation. If the device hasn't been able to download a forecast covering the flight (e.g. is in aeroplane mode) then the wind instrument is "red-x"d.
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)
T67 is correct. However, if your tablet is connected to the internet, either via its own SIM card or via a mobile phone hotspot, then SD will attempt to update the forecast wind over the airborne internet connection which, as we all know is intermittent at the best of times, so if it attempts to update the forecast wind at a time when you have lost internet connectivity, the wind vector instrument will be "red X'd".

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

Colin Bond
Colin Bond
Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)
Thank you both for the replies above.  There was no internet available at the club before flight so no forecast wind downloaded obviously.  With you advice then, if my tablet gets its GPS from my PaW, if I also connect it to my mobile phone hotspot, will this work, or is that hotspot also via a wifi link?

Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)
Colin Bond - 11/20/2018 7:19:36 AM
Thank you both for the replies above.  There was no internet available at the club before flight so no forecast wind downloaded obviously.  With you advice then, if my tablet gets its GPS from my PaW, if I also connect it to my mobile phone hotspot, will this work, or is that hotspot also via a wifi link?

If you connect to your mobile phone hotspot, providing your phone is receiving a signal, you will have internet connectivity and you will be able to download the forecast wind data. I hope this helps.

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

Colin Bond
Colin Bond
Sky Painter - 11/20/2018 4:06:30 PM
Colin Bond - 11/20/2018 7:19:36 AM

If you connect to your mobile phone hotspot, providing your phone is receiving a signal, you will have internet connectivity and you will be able to download the forecast wind data. I hope this helps.

Thanks Mike.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search