Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Best Tablet

Author
f
Too Much Forum (620 reputation)Too Much Forum (620 reputation)Too Much Forum (620 reputation)Too Much Forum (620 reputation)Too Much Forum (620 reputation)Too Much Forum (620 reputation)Too Much Forum (620 reputation)Too Much Forum (620 reputation)Too Much Forum (620 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Can anyone recommend an inexpensive reliable tablet on which to run Skydemon which I'm looking to use in favour of my existing Garmin?

Tony N
Tony N
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
By inexpensive I assume you mean Android?
There are some posts on this site regarding various models of tablets that work well or not quite so well.‌
Generally speaking I would suggest that any modern Android tablet will work okay.
Tony‌‌
flyc42
f
Too Much Forum (620 reputation)Too Much Forum (620 reputation)Too Much Forum (620 reputation)Too Much Forum (620 reputation)Too Much Forum (620 reputation)Too Much Forum (620 reputation)Too Much Forum (620 reputation)Too Much Forum (620 reputation)Too Much Forum (620 reputation)
tnowak - 9/22/2017 7:37:10 AM
By inexpensive I assume you mean Android?
There are some posts on this site regarding various models of tablets that work well or not quite so well.‌
Generally speaking I would suggest that any modern Android tablet will work okay.
Tony‌‌

Thanks Tony. Yes, correct assumption, I did mean android. I was keen to opt for a good model given that there are a few comments on the site about unsatisfactory models and I thought a bit of research among current users would be useful. Again, thanks.

flyc42
f
Many thanks. Appreciated.

Europa XS
Europa XS
Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)
flyc42 - 9/21/2017 4:31:36 PM
Can anyone recommend an inexpensive reliable tablet on which to run Skydemon which I'm looking to use in favour of my existing Garmin?

Hi,
best experiences with HUAWEI Mediapad III, fast and brilliant display.
kr
HH‌‌‌
flyc42
f
Europa XS - 9/26/2017 10:26:44 AM

Hi,
kr
HH‌‌‌

Thanks. Had a look and it's impressive. Thanks again. 

Easy Cruising
Easy Cruising
Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)
flyc42 - 9/26/2017 3:03:38 PM

Hi,
kr
HH‌‌‌

This was posted in the 'Navigation' section and the poster asks about replacing a 'Garmin' .. which looks like it means cockpit-use, not just planning indoors. The casual response of 'any Android tablet will do' may not be the case. Sure, just about any Android tablet will run SD. The reference to 'HUAWEI Mediapad III' which presumably means 'Huawei Mediapad M3'  may also be misleading since that unit emits a maximum of 427 nits (brightness). Like most tablets, that's not really bright enough and is too reflective to read in all levels of sunlight, outdoors, or if your cockpit environment is a 'bubble canopy' type which allows maximum light levels in. As a comparison the Dynon Skyview EFIS emits >1000nits and new smartphones like Samsung Galaxy S8 do likewise .. and for good reason. If it's just for a backup/occasional use then maybe most tablets are ok, but if you really want to read the display from different angles in bright light then many tablets won't cut-it (although most new smartphones do). One tablet that is bright and quite modern in 'Sony Z3 Tablet Compact' which runs to 600 nits and very sunlight-readable. Other forum posters might chime-in with their suggestions here. My advice is get clear what the use of the display has to be and that'll tell you how much you have to spend.
flyc42
f
Easy Cruising - 9/27/2017 3:19:20 PM
flyc42 - 9/26/2017 3:03:38 PM

Hi,
kr
HH‌‌‌

This was posted in the 'Navigation' section and the poster asks about replacing a 'Garmin' .. which looks like it means cockpit-use, not just planning indoors. The casual response of 'any Android tablet will do' may not be the case. Sure, just about any Android tablet will run SD. The reference to 'HUAWEI Mediapad III' which presumably means 'Huawei Mediapad M3'  may also be misleading since that unit emits a maximum of 427 nits (brightness). Like most tablets, that's not really bright enough and is too reflective to read in all levels of sunlight, outdoors, or if your cockpit environment is a 'bubble canopy' type which allows maximum light levels in. As a comparison the Dynon Skyview EFIS emits >1000nits and new smartphones like Samsung Galaxy S8 do likewise .. and for good reason. If it's just for a backup/occasional use then maybe most tablets are ok, but if you really want to read the display from different angles in bright light then many tablets won't cut-it (although most new smartphones do). One tablet that is bright and quite modern in 'Sony Z3 Tablet Compact' which runs to 600 nits and very sunlight-readable. Other forum posters might chime-in with their suggestions here. My advice is get clear what the use of the display has to be and that'll tell you how much you have to spend.

Thanks for a really comprehensive reply. Yes, it is for cockpit use and your pointers as to readability are especially useful. Thanks again.

Gmcflyer
G
Too Much Forum (138 reputation)Too Much Forum (138 reputation)Too Much Forum (138 reputation)Too Much Forum (138 reputation)Too Much Forum (138 reputation)Too Much Forum (138 reputation)Too Much Forum (138 reputation)Too Much Forum (138 reputation)Too Much Forum (138 reputation)

Hi,
kr
HH‌‌‌

H‌i

D‌oes it have to be the LTE version of the m3?

T‌a‌

Gmcflyer
G
Too Much Forum (138 reputation)Too Much Forum (138 reputation)Too Much Forum (138 reputation)Too Much Forum (138 reputation)Too Much Forum (138 reputation)Too Much Forum (138 reputation)Too Much Forum (138 reputation)Too Much Forum (138 reputation)Too Much Forum (138 reputation)

Hi,
kr
HH‌‌‌

Hi

D‌oes ‌‌t need to be the LTE version of the m3

Cheersi‌‌

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login