Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

ipad novice

Author
design4p
Too Much Forum (754 reputation)Too Much Forum (754 reputation)Too Much Forum (754 reputation)Too Much Forum (754 reputation)Too Much Forum (754 reputation)Too Much Forum (754 reputation)Too Much Forum (754 reputation)Too Much Forum (754 reputation)Too Much Forum (754 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Thinking of getting an ipad mini with Skydemon for navigation.

I understand I would need the cellular version and so I have some questions:

Would I need a mobile phone contract to use my skydemon navigation?

When in use would the ipad mini receive phone calls etc.?

Would there be any other cost apart from the skydemon subscription?

regards John
Tags
Mikernav
Mikernav
Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)
John,

I use an Pad mini (not 2) and Skydemon Nav. It is excellent and ideal size for small cockpit use (C152 in my case) on the knee - I use an AV8 IPad mini-specific kneepad. You do need the one capable of taking a sim card as that is the only model that includes the gps chip. However, you don't actually need to insert a sim card for it to work in the air. Alternatively you can buy the cheaper, non-sim version and add an external Bluetooth gps which some users feel is a better and cheaper solution.

I believe there have been some issues with the IPad Mini2 vis a vis which version include the gps chip and others with direct experience may wish to comment.

Tags
Allan Armadale
Allan Armadale
Too Much Forum (755 reputation)Too Much Forum (755 reputation)Too Much Forum (755 reputation)Too Much Forum (755 reputation)Too Much Forum (755 reputation)Too Much Forum (755 reputation)Too Much Forum (755 reputation)Too Much Forum (755 reputation)Too Much Forum (755 reputation)
Hello,

This is how I use SD. I have an original iPad which has the option to insert a SIM and I simply haven't inserted one. The iPad displays "No Service" in the top left hand corner as I would expect. I use WiFi for my connectivity.

At some stage I may buy a SIM but this would only be for downloading weather, NOTAMS etc if I were planning a trip where there was no WiFi coverage.

Andrew
Mikernav
Mikernav
Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)
That's exactly how I use my IPad mini.
ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)
I have an iPad 3 with SIM card. I concur with all the previous posters in that you don't need a SIM card while flying. Here are the options which you have:

1) iPad 3G with SIM card. You can use the internal GPS or, alternatively, connect an external GPS via Bluetooth. You can use the GPS without a SIM card. However, having a SIM card you get the benefit of updated weather reports, NOTAMS and download additional approach plates while in the air (if you have network coverage).

2) iPad 3G without SIM card. The only difference to option 1) is that you won't be online while flying. Therefore, you won't get live weather, NOTAMs, etc.

3) iPad WiFi. The iPads without the 3G option (i.e., without a slot for a SIM card) don't have an internal GPS. You will need an external GPS and connect it to your iPad via Bluetooth. Live weather, Notams, etc. won't be available either.

Using the internal GPS, I've never had a problem with GPS reception yet. I have the iPad on a knee mount and my cockpit does provide a glider type surround view of the sky.

An additional practical hint: whatever mount or holder you use for your iPad, make sure it provides adequate room for air circulation. The iPad will run hot because usually there's sun when flying, display brightness is cranked way up and other modules are running concurrently (a combination of GPS, 3G and Bluetooth).

Also, battery drain is pretty high under these conditions. I have my iPad connected to the 12V outlet on the panel. This way it's always charged. Should the panel power fail, the iPad's batter will still manage to keep it running for at least an additional 1-2 hours. Plenty in most situations.

Greetings, -- Chris.
Edited 1/29/2014 9:55:24 AM by ckurz7000
StephenRLynn
StephenRLynn
Too Much Forum (246 reputation)Too Much Forum (246 reputation)Too Much Forum (246 reputation)Too Much Forum (246 reputation)Too Much Forum (246 reputation)Too Much Forum (246 reputation)Too Much Forum (246 reputation)Too Much Forum (246 reputation)Too Much Forum (246 reputation)
I've been using SD for a couple of years on Windows mobile devices. I have struggled with displays in a bright airy motor glider cockpit, and the best I found previously was the Vertica 2, favoured by para-glider pilots. I have just recently bought an iPad mini 2 with retina display, not cellular, i.e. no real GPS. I have added a bluetooth GPS. I flew with it today for the first time, and have to say that this is absolutely the best hardware platform for SD ever, both in planning and execution. The software is shown off to its best by this iPad mini 2.
KMac
KMac
Too Much Forum (551 reputation)Too Much Forum (551 reputation)Too Much Forum (551 reputation)Too Much Forum (551 reputation)Too Much Forum (551 reputation)Too Much Forum (551 reputation)Too Much Forum (551 reputation)Too Much Forum (551 reputation)Too Much Forum (551 reputation)
Glad I've seen this, as it covers my question also. I note SD have now dropped the Mobile MD which was the platform I was tending towards when I buy post qualification. So I'm now thinking Ipad Mini for me, but is anyone able to say which option gives the better GPS reception, Ipad with 3g or Ipad with external GPS receiver?
longfinals
longfinals
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
I use the iPad2 mini WiFi only with a Dual GPS connected via bluetooth. It works brilliantly and has the advantage of being able to place the GPS receiver in the best location. Don't forget that you can also tether your iPad to your 'phone (ie create a personal hotspot with your phone) which allows all the live stuff if you really need it. I don't really find I need live updates on NOTAMS and Wx when in the cockpit - better to use that time for lookout.
KMac
KMac
Too Much Forum (551 reputation)Too Much Forum (551 reputation)Too Much Forum (551 reputation)Too Much Forum (551 reputation)Too Much Forum (551 reputation)Too Much Forum (551 reputation)Too Much Forum (551 reputation)Too Much Forum (551 reputation)Too Much Forum (551 reputation)
Many thanks Longfinals. A further question, and I apologise to all if this has either been covered ad-infinitum elsewhere, or is just a very stupid question to those who know what they are doing. Must I also have an Apple desktop PC if I am to transfer routes etc to and from an Ipad? Will Apple only speak to Apple, or can I use my non Apple desktop ? Does it matter anyway, is the Ipad a stand alone device that doesn't require a computer to be able to route plan ?
Edited 5/28/2014 4:26:25 PM by KMac
guille
guille
Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)
SDemon for desktop needs a Windows configuration, so if you have a PC, no problem. If you have a Mac, you need to use a Windows emulator (Parallels Desktop i.e.) or a native Windows with Bootcamp, a software that is included in the Mac. But of course you can just use SDemon on the Ipad. Really, for preparing routes it is better to have also the PC version. The communication with Ipad is easy, look the available documentation.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search