Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Checklists

Author
drianwilson
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
What about adding a checklist function that is integral within SkyDemon iPad?

We could, like the aircraft definitions, have an open community perhaps. Users could make, develop and adapt their own lists. I would suggest an online interface, so editing could be done online and sent to cloud or sent by email to the SkyDemon app to use.

A simple interface would be easy to set up, perhaps with 3 tiers of lists.

Type of operation, Section, List with responses/notes.

A good working example (which I use at present) is Foreflights Checklist App, it sadly isn't native iPad and is really designed for iphone.

It drives me to distraction having my plates and everything in SkyDemon, only to have to jump out of it mid-flight to check off something or check a reference.

Thoughts anyone?
Doober2004
Doober2004
Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)
On the iPad version the function is already there! You will need to upload your (pdf) checklist via iTunes but then its easy. Use the browse docs function on the Plates Tab to find the uploaded check list. There is room for improvement to make it quicker/easier to toggle between map and checklist but as you will see it's 95% there.
sprucegoose
sprucegoose
Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)
Well, ish. The great virtue of electronic checklists is that you can actually check items off - the 'done' function on the Foreflight app - and positively confirm that you've not missed anything. An electronic document is no better than a paper card in that respect. Considering how easy it must be to create a simple user-configurable checklist, and how universal its use would be, I'm surprised such a comprehensive tool like Sky Demon has yet to follow most of its competitors and provide it.
Andyp
Andyp
Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)
As an ipad user, I personally would like to see a checklist design similar in appearance to the Skydemon map page, whereby you are able to select different sources of information via 5 "buttons" on the right hand side of the screen. Just like a tabbed card checklist has quick reference indexing on the right hand side, listing items such as starting, take-off, emergencies etc. Some electronic tabbing in Skydemon for quick reference would be useful.
schweboo
schweboo
Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)
What would be good would be a checklist waypoint that would let you select one of a list of tailor able checklists that would appear on the right hand side of the screen when you reached that check point....e.g enroute FREDA, approach, beacon outbound, etc...

Having the ability to tick off check list items would be also very helpful...

Best regards

Chris

ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)
This got me thinking... What really would be helpful and a potential life saver is a "context sensitive" checklist. So when I'm doing the runup I see the runup checklist. When I'm taking off I have the take-off checklist available. On leveling off, it's the cruise checklist.

This could be accomplished by attaching checklists to particular points along the flight, e.g. descent checklists to descent markers, approach checklists to VRP near the destination airfields, take-off checklists to the departure airfield, etc.

-- Chris.
glidermike
glidermike
Too Much Forum (320 reputation)Too Much Forum (320 reputation)Too Much Forum (320 reputation)Too Much Forum (320 reputation)Too Much Forum (320 reputation)Too Much Forum (320 reputation)Too Much Forum (320 reputation)Too Much Forum (320 reputation)Too Much Forum (320 reputation)
I can see some value in having checklists all in one place, and for use on the ground. I do not believe checklists should normally be used in flight - things like cruise and approach checks are better performed as memory items. In GA we need to be looking outside, not reading checklists!
glidermike
glidermike
Too Much Forum (320 reputation)Too Much Forum (320 reputation)Too Much Forum (320 reputation)Too Much Forum (320 reputation)Too Much Forum (320 reputation)Too Much Forum (320 reputation)Too Much Forum (320 reputation)Too Much Forum (320 reputation)Too Much Forum (320 reputation)
I can see some value in having checklists all in one place, and for use on the ground. I do not believe checklists should normally be used in flight - things like cruise and approach checks are better performed as memory items. In GA we need to be looking outside, not reading checklists!
schweboo
schweboo
Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)
If you know the checklist by heart, then you would not need to use the feature. A waypoint based checkpoint could act as a memory jogger to run through the checklist at the appropriate time - you would not need to read the detail unless you needed to...

In IMC conditions, you are not looking out of the window anyway.

Chris
Edited 10/21/2013 7:43:56 PM by schweboo
schweboo
schweboo
Have been searching for help in uploading docs into SD using ITunes, without success...can anyone explain where to look or even better, how to do it?

Best regards

Chris
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search