SkyDemon

How to get Airbox Foresight running SD

How to get Airbox Foresight running SD

Author
Too Much Forum
Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I don't know how to get SD on my Foresight. The only connection I have is to plug in the memory card but following instructions elsewhere on this forum hasn't helped.

I installed SD on the 4GB card and inserted into the device, but the load stops and asks, "INSERT MEMORY CARD AND RESTART".

Has anyone ACTUALLY done this yet?

Sussex Flyer
pink leader
Too Much Forum
Too Much Forum (33K reputation)Too Much Forum (33K reputation)Too Much Forum (33K reputation)Too Much Forum (33K reputation)Too Much Forum (33K reputation)Too Much Forum (33K reputation)Too Much Forum (33K reputation)Too Much Forum (33K reputation)Too Much Forum (33K reputation)

I have not tried this either but my approach would be:

1. Look on the SD card and find the name of the file that executes Airbox loading .. a .exe file.
  2. Load SD onto a brand new SD card using a card reader.
  3. Via your PC locate the SD launch file (skydemonlaunch.exe or some such).
  4. Change the name of this file to the one used by Airbox.
  5. Turn on the Airbox device with SD on the card (and if necessary perform a reset using something like a paperclip in the reset hole)
  6. Wait & see if SD loads.
If you have tried this approach and I ma teaching my granny to suck eggs, my apologies.

David
Sussex Flyer
Too Much Forum
Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)

Tried that and still the airbox doesn't recognise a card inserted into it.

Sussex Flyer
Richard
Too Much Forum
Too Much Forum (643 reputation)Too Much Forum (643 reputation)Too Much Forum (643 reputation)Too Much Forum (643 reputation)Too Much Forum (643 reputation)Too Much Forum (643 reputation)Too Much Forum (643 reputation)Too Much Forum (643 reputation)Too Much Forum (643 reputation)

OK, here it is. To get SkyDemon to work on Airbox Foresight

1. Put a New SD card into your card reader in yourPC and open SkyDemon on your PC.

2. From The Menu bar select “Setup” then “Device ConnectivityOptions”

3. Select “I have a SkyDemon Mobile Device” then click on “Install SkyDemon on a New WindowsCE Device”

4. Select your SD card from the list. (Next part is IMPORTANT!!!!) In the box “Specify Location” Remove the word “SkyDemon” and just leave the “ \ “ in the box, and click Next. Select your Map (eg. United Kingdom) then click OK. You should get “Successful”

5. OK, Close SkyDemon on your PC and open the SD card where you have just installed SkyDemon.

6. Locate the file named “SkyDemon” and re-name it “specialfile “

7. Close the SD card window and re-open Sky Demonon your PC. You can now plan your flight and simply click the Sync Button on the menu bar.

Now try the SD card in your Airbox, It should open.

Things you need to check after SkyDemon has opened on your AirBox. Go to maps and load your map from the menu. You may also need to go to setup and GPS, Select com 7 and press the start GPS in the bottom right corner.

I hope this helps because it is outstanding on my Superbright7” Airbox and is 100% sunlight readable

Richard.

Edited
7/31/2012 9:45:15 AM by Richard
Wilfsoft
Too Much Forum
Too Much Forum (348 reputation)Too Much Forum (348 reputation)Too Much Forum (348 reputation)Too Much Forum (348 reputation)Too Much Forum (348 reputation)Too Much Forum (348 reputation)Too Much Forum (348 reputation)Too Much Forum (348 reputation)Too Much Forum (348 reputation)

Hi, method gladly received and working - have included the keyboard fix as well.

Has anyone manged to actually get Windows CE running on the Foresight? The device time is wrong and I cannot get the CE control panel working. It would also be nice to control the screen brightness...

Thanks

John.
Flyingscotsman
Too Much Forum
Too Much Forum (453 reputation)Too Much Forum (453 reputation)Too Much Forum (453 reputation)Too Much Forum (453 reputation)Too Much Forum (453 reputation)Too Much Forum (453 reputation)Too Much Forum (453 reputation)Too Much Forum (453 reputation)Too Much Forum (453 reputation)

The good thing about the Foresight is that you can easily install it in a mount in the aircraft. The bad thing is that 'fastplan' is just rubbish compared with Skydemon. So the problem is that, when installed in the mount, none of the 'foresight' physical controls or the SD card is accessible!!! Surely a slight lack of 'foresight' on behalf of Airbox? I had mine delivered 'auto-on' so that it switches on when external power is applied and switches off when power is removed. One side effect of this is that, in the event of power failure, it would not revert to its internal battery. More importantly, though, as far as I can see, to get to the SD card you would have to remove the Airbox from its mount every flight to get to the card to plan a route on a PC.
Or have I misunderstood something?
On my IPAD it is quick and easy to plan a 'skydemon' route 'onsite'. The problem is, though, you have to fly with an IPAD on your lap.
Assuming I put Skydemon on the foresight as described earlier (thank you for that!), can I then plan a route on the foresight screen just as I would on an IPAD?
Is the problem that Airbox are somehow tied up with Rocket Route? All I want is decent bright screen installed in my Eurofox running Skydemon. Does it have to be so difficult? Why does not Skydemon team up with someone to produce a decent bit of,say, 7 inch screen hardware that runs Skydemon and can be conveniently installed in a 'Permit' aircraft? Surely this is what 90% of people want?
Edited
7/26/2013 4:22:51 PM by Flyingscotsman
Richard
Too Much Forum
Too Much Forum (643 reputation)Too Much Forum (643 reputation)Too Much Forum (643 reputation)Too Much Forum (643 reputation)Too Much Forum (643 reputation)Too Much Forum (643 reputation)Too Much Forum (643 reputation)Too Much Forum (643 reputation)Too Much Forum (643 reputation)

Flyingscotsman
You can use an extended card slot for your SD card. and mount it on the outside of your panel. This way just swop the card as desired without removing your Foresight from your panel.

Do a search for "SD Card extension cable" on eBay or Google

I also understand what you say about "why should it be so difficult" You could invent your own !!!

Richard
Edited
8/21/2013 8:48:31 PM by Richard
vpsj
Too Much Forum
Too Much Forum (718 reputation)Too Much Forum (718 reputation)Too Much Forum (718 reputation)Too Much Forum (718 reputation)Too Much Forum (718 reputation)Too Much Forum (718 reputation)Too Much Forum (718 reputation)Too Much Forum (718 reputation)Too Much Forum (718 reputation)

At Sywell Airbox were adamant that the Airbox Forsight would do nothing else. I want to take a single, sunlight readable 'screen' with me to run Sky Demon, be a book reader and everything else - still searching.
Wilfsoft
Too Much Forum
Too Much Forum (348 reputation)Too Much Forum (348 reputation)Too Much Forum (348 reputation)Too Much Forum (348 reputation)Too Much Forum (348 reputation)Too Much Forum (348 reputation)Too Much Forum (348 reputation)Too Much Forum (348 reputation)Too Much Forum (348 reputation)

I am currently using a Nexus 7 and the Android version of SkyDemon. The Nexus is a Kindle reader, is daylight readable and does the SkyDemon bit.

John.

All I need now is a decent knee board for the Nexus rather than balancing on my knee!

Smile
cparsons
Too Much Forum
Too Much Forum (473 reputation)Too Much Forum (473 reputation)Too Much Forum (473 reputation)Too Much Forum (473 reputation)Too Much Forum (473 reputation)Too Much Forum (473 reputation)Too Much Forum (473 reputation)Too Much Forum (473 reputation)Too Much Forum (473 reputation)

Richard/flyingscotsman - If you are still on this email address could you get in touch?

I have had some success getting SD to work on my Foresight but have a couple of questions if you don't mind?

Chris Parsons
parsons.cj@gmail.com

Edited
9/3/2015 7:43:35 PM by cparsons
GO
Merge Selected
Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login
Existing Account