SkyDemon Forums

Does SkyDemon still work OK on an iPad 1?

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic8705.aspx

By DavidC - 3/19/2013 12:58:12 PM

Been having a lot of trouble recently with my iPad (original version 1), which has been crashing - especially with SkyDemon but also occasionally with the built in Safari browser. Took it to the Apple Store where they reflashed it back to factory settings. After reinstalling a fresh copy of SD, it crashed after a few minutes when simply planning a route to France. When connecting a remote GPS bluetooth receiver and going into flying mode, it rarely lasts

Anybody else still using the original iPad for SD?

I realise its pretty slow to update/redraw the screen but hadn't expected it to bomb out completely.

By contrast, running ForeFlight (a US equivalent) works fine - don't think it ever crashed on me once.

I know SD did a few updates to help avoid an issue with memory exhaustion, and thought that might fix it, but I still have problems.

Need to figure out whether to invest in an upgrade or simply avoid the iPad version completely. My trusty (but very cheap Chinese) Windows CE device hasn't let me down at all so far.
By DavidC - 4/29/2013 6:45:21 PM

Just like to post an update on this. After turning off all the services as suggested, and using the latest software, I've not had any crashes during a long trip up to Scotland and back. Worked really well

I think I may have sold another couple of subscriptions to other pilots on the trip too.

Thanks for the advice.