SkyDemon Forums

WP names in ICAO flight plans

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic6648.aspx

By ckurz7000 - 7/23/2012 11:41:58 AM

I am running SD 2.4 on an iPad.

When I plan a route using reporting points on the map I don't see their name in the flight plan but only their coordinates. So, e.g., the waypoint "RADLY" shows only up with coordinates. This is unusual and not very friendly for the folk at ATC. Also, it makes it difficult for me to read the flight plan.

My suggestion: use the waypoint name in the flightplan in place of the coordinates.

Thanks, -- Chris.
By milansmid - 9/7/2012 1:48:52 PM

Hello Tim,

I got an answer from ICAO regarding this issue. As a reminder - I asked whether I can use 4 letter ICAO codes of airports in the Route section. The ICAO officer confirm that I can.

---------------------------------

Dear Mr. Smid.

Thanks for your consultation.

Your interpretation on how to fill Item 15 (route) of the FPL form is correct.

Regarding the interpretation of “Significant point” I’d like to highlight that you also have the definition of “Reporting point” and in your case, the airport 4 letters designator is considered a reporting point instead of a significant point due to the definition of both.

Reporting point is a ”Specified geographical location in relation to which the position of an aircraft can be reported.”

Significant point , although has the same use, is defined as a ground-based navigation aid, an intersection and/or waypoint. And in this context, intersection is a significant point expressed as radials, bearings and/or distances from ground-based navigation aids.

As you can see there is a slight difference, in terms of definition, between the two, but again, your interpretation on the way to fill Item 15 is correct.

Best regards,

Saulo

Saulo Silva

Technical Officer

International Civil Aviation Organization

Air Traffic Management Section