SkyDemon Forums

exporting SkyDemon FPL to Garmin G1000

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic555.aspx

By stephane - 5/17/2010 11:53:41 AM

Can I export a SkyDemon FPL for using it with Garmin G1000 ?

If yes, which export format should I use ?

Thank you for your response.

By the way, trying to export a fpl to Garmin, etc. causes an error (see attached file).
By phil8536 - 5/25/2013 5:10:24 PM

Just in time for the UK bank holiday! The latest release of Skydemon 2.6.3 on Windows now produces Garmin fpl files in the correct format for loading into a G1000. A few notes on the G1000

1) Use route save as ...Garmin on Skydemon and save the file directly to an SD card. Names don't seem to matter

2) Take the card to your G1000. Remove the Cessna card from the top slot on the MFD (The right hand one)! and put it somewhere safe. You don't need it to fly but you must keep it for maintenance purposes. (it costs loads to replace)

3) Before you start the MFD insert the SD card. Putting the card in after the device is started doesn't seem to work for some reason.

4) Hit the FPL key on the MFD and turn the knob to bring up the FPL catalogue. Push the knob to select one slot

5) Select the bottom import softkey. (If you don't have one you need to update the firmware on the G1000 to seb-34-02. Depending on the age of your aircraft this may be chargeable. I paid £856 plus 2 hours labour.)

6) When you hit the import soft key you will see the fpl files you saved, select it and it imports

7) Remember you then have to activate it from the location saved!

Linking these two devices is incredibly powerful. I have created bad weather approaches for my home airfield and it work a treat.

A few points

1) You loose the names of Waypoints - they become Misc1,2,3 etc.
2) The G1000 sometimes renames the Waypoints

I have tested this on the G1000 and it is awesome. I am assuming it will also work on other Garmin devices. Let me know

Fly Safe

Phil