SkyDemon Forums

Add Cloud base over ground to "flyable section"

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic36748.aspx

By constantin_w - 3/2/2024 8:05:39 AM

Hi guys,

I just returned from a rather scary flight home. I made a mistake and mixed MSL for AGL when it came to the cloud base. Consequently, when flying through higher terrain, I could have gotten in serious trouble.
I couldn't uncover my mistake this moment because when turning on the flyable tab, everything looks fine. By the same time, the vertical tab shows the necessary information. 

Is there a way how to show flight limitations and set limits for "cloud base over ground"? If not, I would humbly ask for it's implementation.

BR
Constantin 
By constantin_w - 3/27/2024 8:26:44 PM

PaulSS - 3/18/2024 11:51:16 PM
I don't understand the issue here. The flyable weather is just for planning guidance. It is not a weather radar and if you based your decision on continuing or diverting elsewhere on what SkyDemon said then you need your bumps feeling. The data is already out-of-date before it even reaches your tablet and, even if you're using Internet in flight, it is still based on a forecast.

You're not going to be flying anything in the high Mach numbers at low level, so look out of the window instead of staring at a TV and hoping that will make the decision for you.

If that was the case, there wouldn't be any reason to be able to overlay weather during the flight. Since that is possible, I am sure any information is better than no information.
I stand the point that any information is better than no information when you get stuck in bad weather. Especially, since the idea can be easily realized and offers a chance to get out of bad weather.