SkyDemon Forums

SD handling of return trips

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic33847.aspx

By Tim Dawson - 7/21/2021 2:17:30 PM

There isn't really a great solution for this. The problem is that you're diverging your routes slightly, and because they're not exactly on top of each other, SkyDemon picks the one you're closest to. If you actually overlay your return route exactly on top of the outbound route, SkyDemon looks at your track over the ground to determine which bit you're on.
By McChazza - 7/21/2021 2:45:14 PM

Tim Dawson - 7/21/2021 2:17:30 PM
There isn't really a great solution for this. The problem is that you're diverging your routes slightly, and because they're not exactly on top of each other, SkyDemon picks the one you're closest to. If you actually overlay your return route exactly on top of the outbound route, SkyDemon looks at your track over the ground to determine which bit you're on.

Perfect, Tim, thanks for fast feedback! 
It hadn't occurred to me that that method would work but if it does (and it's logical that it should), that's fine Smile
By McChazza - 7/21/2021 11:47:37 AM

Hi everyone
Very new user to SD, flying a trike in Poland. The product is generally fantastic, well done SkyDemon Smile
A lot of my routes are "A to B to A" (without landing at B). When I plan the route I leave a little bit of space between the outbound and return routes, but not much (less than 1km) because essentially I want to fly there and back on the same route. The problem is that since I don't stick exactly to the route, SD often thinks I am on the return leg when I am still on the outbound, or vice versa. This is probably compounded by occasional GPS drops from my iPad 2. When this happens, of course the flight plan (ETAs etc.) are all wrong, the map turns upside down (I use 'track up' view). This rights itself quickly enough, but I was wondering if there is a way for SD to 'know better' the leg I am on. Probably wishful thinking, would appreciate others' experiences and suggestions...
Thanks!
Adam