SkyDemon Forums

Feature Request - split a log file (to remove non flight time)

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic33113.aspx

By pilot-byom - 3/30/2021 1:56:51 PM

knaumann - 3/27/2021 2:16:28 PM
Hello Tim, sometimes it happens that an user accidentally do not close the log. Than this logs also logs the journey home by car. Is it possible to split the log, so that the user can remove the non flight times?

The merge option works great (Maintenance -> Merge with Another Log). A split option in the same manner would be excellent.

Other users I talked to had more than once the same problem like me.

How frequent is that problem and does it justify the effort to program a feature into the software (which we all would have to pay for)?
You can always correct the data by hand and in my expectation such should be a rare event and easily done better by hand.
By knaumann - 3/27/2021 2:16:28 PM

Hello Tim, sometimes it happens that an user accidentally do not close the log. Than this logs also logs the journey home by car. Is it possible to split the log, so that the user can remove the non flight times?

The merge option works great (Maintenance -> Merge with Another Log). A split option in the same manner would be excellent.

Other users I talked to had more than once the same problem like me.
By knaumann - 4/2/2021 7:20:21 AM

Software's approach is always to make it better. This also includes the split functionality. Can you please explain to me how I can edit the logfiles by hand? Thank you
By pilot-byom - 4/3/2021 9:38:37 AM

knaumann - 4/2/2021 7:20:21 AM
Software's approach is always to make it better. This also includes the split functionality. Can you please explain to me how I can edit the logfiles by hand? Thank you

Any software programming exceeding time and money spent for manual alternatives is worthless.

Just take any plain text editor, the files are readable and the content easily understandable.
By knaumann - 4/4/2021 7:58:56 AM

Thank you, but it is not possible to edit the logfile and import it again into SkyDemon. My way was the same like described in this old post:
http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic28357-1.aspx

Answer from Tim:
The flight logs in SkyDemon are not designed to be user-editable

I exported the file with the SkyDemon-PC-Version into *.gpx, remove the wrong logtimes and show the flight in SkyDemon. Looks great, but how described in the post above it is NOT possible to re-import/change the logfiles.

By Tim Dawson - 4/6/2021 9:25:15 AM

Flight log files are in a binary format and are not designed to be user-editable.

A reminder to pilot-byom that agreeing not to reverse engineer our software is one of the conditions of using SkyDemon.
By pilot-byom - 4/5/2021 6:46:02 AM

knaumann - 4/4/2021 7:58:56 AM
Answer from Tim:
The flight logs in SkyDemon are not designed to be user-editable

I know, the Skydemon crew does not welcome reverse engineering of their software and called it 'tinkering', but that does not mean it is not easily doable. I respect the position of Tim Dawson and it is perfectly ok for someone representing a company, but I reserve the right to ignore it in detail as a customer.
By knaumann - 4/5/2021 9:13:48 AM

Sorry to ask you one more time. PM to you was not possible. I found the affected logfile ".flightlog" in the directory "C:\Users\username\Documents\SkyDemon\Logs". But it is not "human readable". I tried to change the extension to *.csv or *.xml (because of an old forum entry from 2013).

You wrote "Just take any plain text editor, the files are readable and the content easily understandable". But for me, it is not "easy to understand the syntax". It seems to be converted/zipped/encrypted. Please give me one last hint Wink Am I on the right track and if so, how should the file be interpreted or edited?