SkyDemon Forums

Track on magenta line

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic33009.aspx

By matthew_w100 - 3/17/2021 12:46:41 PM

grahamb - 3/11/2021 6:26:59 AM
matthew_w100 - 3/9/2021 9:43:24 PM
When you tap on the magenta lines while flying they get annotated with heading, and distance.  Is there a way of getting them to show track (desired) instead of heading?  By forcing zero wind if no better way of doing it?

Why not just tap on the ‘Search/Position icon at the top of the chart to display the plog? The active track is highlighted on the left and it’s one tap to close it.

You don’t then leave the chart in a state that’s sensitive to you accidentally rubber-banding the highlighted leg.

Yes, i could do that - I just prefer to keep eyes on the map.  I think it marks a change in my flying - like many people I don't use headings any more.  Why reference a compass with deviation through a DI with drift using an estimated wind correction when you've got an accurate ground track  from your GPS?  I'd actually like to be able to turn headings off on the PLOG too; they are a waste of column space for me.
By pilot-byom - 3/17/2021 12:49:43 PM

matthew_w100 - 3/17/2021 12:46:41 PM
Yes, i could do that - I just prefer to keep eyes on the map.

Sorry, I could not resist: I strongly advice you should prefer to keep your eyes out, not on the map.
By grahamb - 3/17/2021 1:29:45 PM

When you tap on the magenta lines while flying they get annotated with heading, and distance.  Is there a way of getting them to show track (desired) instead of heading?  By forcing zero wind if no better way of doing it?

Why not just tap on the ‘Search/Position icon at the top of the chart to display the plog? The active track is highlighted on the left and it’s one tap to close it.

You don’t then leave the chart in a state that’s sensitive to you accidentally rubber-banding the highlighted leg.

Yes, i could do that - I just prefer to keep eyes on the map.  I think it marks a change in my flying - like many people I don't use headings any more.  Why reference a compass with deviation through a DI with drift using an estimated wind correction when you've got an accurate ground track  from your GPS?  I'd actually like to be able to turn headings off on the PLOG too; they are a waste of column space for me.

In that case just glance down and steer align the track ladder with the line on the chart, glance up and see what heading that represents and go with that. Who needs numbers in this analogue age?
By matthew_w100 - 3/18/2021 9:10:56 AM

pilot-byom - 3/17/2021 12:49:43 PM
Yes, i could do that - I just prefer to keep eyes on the map.

Sorry, I could not resist: I strongly advice you should prefer to keep your eyes out, not on the map.

Well you should have resisted.  Try harder next time.
By matthew_w100 - 3/18/2021 9:14:31 AM

grahamb - 3/17/2021 1:29:45 PM

In that case just glance down and steer align the track ladder with the line on the chart, glance up and see what heading that represents and go with that. Who needs numbers in this analogue age?

That is, in fact, what I do.  I just wanted it to be better.  Especially as it goes out of its way to tell me to "turn left onto heading 345".  As I say, I don't know anyone using headings any more and I'd like it to say "Turn left onto track 340".
By Tim Dawson - 3/18/2021 10:09:43 AM

Do you use the DI at the bottom of the screen? That works with track, and can be used in a collapsed state where it only advises if you need to turn slightly in order to be on track to make your next waypoint.
By matthew_w100 - 3/18/2021 7:24:09 PM

Tim Dawson - 3/18/2021 10:09:43 AM
Do you use the DI at the bottom of the screen? That works with track, and can be used in a collapsed state where it only advises if you need to turn slightly in order to be on track to make your next waypoint.

I don't but I'll try it.  Thanks, Tim.
By matthew_w100 - 3/9/2021 9:43:24 PM