SkyDemon Forums

Pseudo ILS

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic32745.aspx

By grahamb - 1/31/2021 2:42:17 PM

Given that Pseudo ILS disables the glideslope at 500’ agl, why does it matter? What about offset ILS, does it cope with that?

It is not a substitute for a proper instrument procedure with the proper equipment, be it ILS or GNSS, and trying to use it like one is folly. SD is a VFR tool. 

IMHO of course. 

By pilot-byom - 1/31/2021 5:11:18 PM

Skydemon pseudo-ILS does take the airfield reference point from AIP - which may be neither at a threshold nor even close enough to the runway in use, see i.e. EGDM when approaching runway 35 the 'aiming point' is 0.8nm West of the runway or EDXR 0.2nm East of the main asphalt runway. Be aware - if you start looking out from 500ft you may not see a runway ...

My opinion: as long as you don't manually input the threshold coordinates from AIP this carries the potential to be a dangerous gimmick if shit hits the fan. Skydemon is a VFR tool by these reasons and it may even not hold until the edge of marginal VFR ...
By Tim Dawson - 2/1/2021 2:45:25 PM

SkyDemon does not use the ARP for its pseudo-ILS feature. It uses the threshold coordinate of the runway you have selected.
By efrenken - 2/1/2021 6:48:00 PM

Tim Dawson - 2/1/2021 2:45:25 PM
SkyDemon does not use the ARP for its pseudo-ILS feature. It uses the threshold coordinate of the runway you have selected.

Tim,
Thank you for adjusting pilot-byom’s information. That is how I thought SD works and how I believe to have read it (in the manual?). I was about to question the usefulness of SD’s pseudo-ILS feature.
Eric
By pilot-byom - 2/4/2021 7:46:01 AM

Sorry, this is not what I encountered.
Where do I find the threshold coordinates of an airfield to check a specific one? 
By grahamb - 2/4/2021 9:15:33 AM

pilot-byom - 2/4/2021 7:46:01 AM

Sorry, this is not what I encountered.
Where do I find the threshold coordinates of an airfield to check a specific one? 

In the AIP. Depending on the country concerned the may be shown on the aerodrome chart, but certainly should be in the text section. 
By pilot-byom - 2/5/2021 8:25:12 AM

grahamb - 2/4/2021 9:15:33 AM

In the AIP. Depending on the country concerned the may be shown on the aerodrome chart, but certainly should be in the text section. 

I am absolutely aware of the paper world. My question was regarding the data in Skydemon, where to find that data to see why it is not working as intended. I will check with my custom airfields on the next trip anyway and expect, following Tim Dawsons comment, that it pulls my threshold data from the custom data editor. If not, I'll be back for sure.
By Tim Dawson - 2/5/2021 10:09:50 AM

Why not post back here whatever you discover?
By pilot-byom - 2/7/2021 10:22:12 AM

Tim Dawson - 2/5/2021 10:09:50 AM
Why not post back here whatever you discover?

Didn't I just write that?

Sorry, to repeat myself, where do I find the threshold location data for a specific airfield? I know where to look at the custom data airfields, but did not find the data for the Skydemon fields at first search. The airfield tab approach information only shows the AIP coordinates.
By Tim Dawson - 2/8/2021 10:11:16 AM

Threshold coordinates are not viewable in text format inside SkyDemon itself.
By mustang - 1/31/2021 12:28:04 PM

Hi,
SD pseudo ILS  works with the runway threshold coordinates,giving a 50ft too low 3° vertical trajectory.
As we pass over runway threshold at 50ft,the touch-down point is 300 meters ahead,at the approximative
place we see tire marks on concrete runways.Abeam the glide path antenna.
Is-it not conceivable to make guidance towards the touch-down point coordinates in place of threshold ones?
By efrenken - 10/22/2023 9:02:30 PM

pilot-byom - 2/5/2021 8:25:12 AM
grahamb - 2/4/2021 9:15:33 AM

I am absolutely aware of the paper world. My question was regarding the data in Skydemon, where to find that data to see why it is not working as intended. I will check with my custom airfields on the next trip anyway and expect, following Tim Dawsons comment, that it pulls my threshold data from the custom data editor. If not, I'll be back for sure.

What did you find out?
By Jockflyer - 9/17/2023 9:58:38 PM

Anyone using pseudo ILS is already pushing the boundaries of what Skydemon is intended for !!!!    If you need to shoot an ILS you should be using the instruments calibrated in the instrument panel ( assuming you are IR/IMC rated. )

Jock sub 70