SkyDemon Forums

VR comes to MSFS 2020. Please be part of it.

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic32586.aspx

By The_papy - 2/17/2021 10:33:30 PM

Raptronix - 2/10/2021 10:24:28 AM
Raptronix - 2/8/2021 3:10:19 PM
Tim Dawson - 2/1/2021 2:52:13 PM
I'm afraid I really don't understand the request. Do you want to be able to look at a "SkyDemon" screen inside the virtual reality cockpit you're "flying" in a simulator?

Yes, I have there request for exactly this, to be able to have an interactive Sky Demon window that I can control in VR, exactly as you would in real life.

As an idea of the type of this I mean, and to show its possible please see: https://github.com/Christian1984/vfrmap-for-vr

Simple : 
First use iPad solution for better performance in vr
2: I use reflector 3 for connect iPad to pc 
3 : use ovr tool kit in steam and it’s great 

But plz need skydemon export flight plan in pln format for msfs 
By Raptronix - 2/18/2021 5:48:23 PM

The_papy - 2/17/2021 10:33:30 PM
Raptronix - 2/10/2021 10:24:28 AM
Raptronix - 2/8/2021 3:10:19 PM
Tim Dawson - 2/1/2021 2:52:13 PM
I'm afraid I really don't understand the request. Do you want to be able to look at a "SkyDemon" screen inside the virtual reality cockpit you're "flying" in a simulator?

Yes, I have there request for exactly this, to be able to have an interactive Sky Demon window that I can control in VR, exactly as you would in real life.

As an idea of the type of this I mean, and to show its possible please see: https://github.com/Christian1984/vfrmap-for-vr

Simple : 
First use iPad solution for better performance in vr
2: I use reflector 3 for connect iPad to pc 
3 : use ovr tool kit in steam and it’s great 

But plz need skydemon export flight plan in pln format for msfs 

I’ve just installed it to give it a try. Unless I’m missing something reflector shows the screen, but it is not interactive/clickable?
By Tom1969 - 2/20/2021 11:12:07 AM

I think we have never to forget that this is an software for real flight navigation an the main focus is to set to the development ! 
This software is not planned for gamer ;-)
By grahamb - 2/20/2021 1:29:15 PM

I have to say that I agree with this sentiment. Every step increase in functionality represents a number of risks in stability, complexity, support and ease of use.

It is Tim’s business and he can take in the direction he wishes, but I would rather hope his team continue to spend their time on improvements for the core market of real flyers who need a comprehensive, stable and well supported product.
By meyer - 3/13/2021 12:19:45 PM

Tom1969 - 2/20/2021 11:12:07 AM
I think we have never to forget that this is an software for real flight navigation an the main focus is to set to the development ! 
This software is not planned for gamer ;-)

I am a real-life pilot and I am planning all my long trips using flight simulators. I would also like to remind you that Skydemon is supporting X-Plane for the same reason (as simulators are not really "games" - I guess they are too boring for gamers). I used X-Plane for years but in 2021 there is no reason for it as MSFS is better in all (okay, almost all aspects) of VFR flying.
By rv8ch - 12/22/2022 8:10:55 PM

OrtiMai - 12/22/2022 6:12:19 PM
Did you guys recognise, that SkyDemon is possible in MSFS as an ingame panel now?

1. Update your System on 22H2 (Win11) - that absolutley mandatory for what comes next.
2. Install "Windows Subsystem for Android"
3. Reboot at least 1 time - bette 2 times
4. Go to the settings section of the "Windows Subsystem for Android" --> Developer mode --> switch it on
5. Install WSATools via MS App Store
6. Download SkyDemon APK
7. Install APK with WSATools (just follow the WSA instruction) - you need to let WSA install adb
8. Buy FSDesktop (https://fsdesktop.com/)
9. Launch and activate FSDesktop application
10. Launch SkyDemon Android application in the subsystem
11. Get Xmapsy and set it on GDS90 - run it
12. Launch the Sim
13. On an airfield, open the FSDesktop ingamel panel and choose Skydemon to be shown
14. Set image quality high and frame rate high (@ the bottom of the ingame panel)

Works in 2D like a charm - in VR mode, I can't interact with the app. But I'm just at the beginning of trying it out. Thus, it's a matter of time. Plus, the dev of FSDesktop (Chris from Cologne in Germany is very supportive).

Impressive work!  I admire your persistence in making this work - please keep us posted!
By OrtiMai - 12/22/2022 8:14:39 PM

rv8ch - 12/22/2022 8:10:55 PM
OrtiMai - 12/22/2022 6:12:19 PM
Did you guys recognise, that SkyDemon is possible in MSFS as an ingame panel now?

1. Update your System on 22H2 (Win11) - that absolutley mandatory for what comes next.
4. Go to the settings section of the "Windows Subsystem for Android" --> Developer mode --> switch it on
6. Download SkyDemon APK
7. Install APK with WSATools (just follow the WSA instruction) - you need to let WSA install adb
12. Launch the Sim
13. On an airfield, open the FSDesktop ingamel panel and choose Skydemon to be shown
14. Set image quality high and frame rate high (@ the bottom of the ingame panel)

Works in 2D like a charm - in VR mode, I can't interact with the app. But I'm just at the beginning of trying it out. Thus, it's a matter of time. Plus, the dev of FSDesktop (Chris from Cologne in Germany is very supportive).

Impressive work!  I admire your persistence in making this work - please keep us posted!

I will! It's passion in this. And Christian work is just amazing. I'm just the nerdy user.
By KimW - 12/23/2022 5:26:09 PM

Personally I use SD on Android and use MSFSBridge to connect to Skydemon and that emulates the setup I have in air, which is exactly what I want. 

While I have no interest in using Skydemon in MSFS as you do, and I suspect Skydemon team is rightly focused on pilot real life usage only, at least that is what I would expect and prefer, it always amazes me how creative people get with SIM and I salute it.
By OrtiMai - 12/24/2022 6:21:57 AM

KimW - 12/23/2022 5:26:09 PM
Personally I use SD on Android and use MSFSBridge to connect to Skydemon and that emulates the setup I have in air, which is exactly what I want. 

While I have no interest in using Skydemon in MSFS as you do, and I suspect Skydemon team is rightly focused on pilot real life usage only, at least that is what I would expect and prefer, it always amazes me how creative people get with SIM and I salute it.

Thats true. For me, using SkyDemon in VR is a game changer. It's now just like flying in real life. (A 4DOF would be a next project, but this has time.)
By meyer - 12/14/2020 9:18:49 AM

Hi, I am aware of multiple topics regarding integration with Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020, and I am already using the "MSFS Bridge" utility for connection.
Nevertheless, I still would like to ask developers to reconsider the approach and stop ignoring it.
MSFS became a great tool for training and preparing VFR flights before jumping into the real airplane.
Similarly, as we use tablets in real airplanes, new apps become available in VR.

I wanted to post pictures, but it didn't work for me, so here are examples:
https://flightsim.to/file/4429/vfr-map-enhanced

SkyDemon's primary target group is VFR pilots. MSFS 2020 primary target group is also VFR pilots by its nature (the first sim with the whole planet done... almost).
Some people already created FREE maps for MSFS 2020 in VR, just for fun. I am sure programmers of the most popular flight navigation app in Europe can develop a native plugin.
By Laponia - 8/18/2022 5:21:14 AM

It is so easy to connect msfs2020 and SD using "msfs Bridge" and it works so well. I really hope we can use it in VR soon. Is it being worked on?
By rv8ch - 8/20/2022 6:37:11 AM

I have a VR sim that is an excellent training device.  I have not tried to use SD in the sim mainly because I don't fly x-country flights in my sim, I use it for other things.

One of the reasons that SD is great is because pilots give feedback about new features that they would like to see, and that Tim and co have the financial means to continue developing the product.

I think expanding into the VR sim world would help both of these area - more pilots using the product, and more licenses sold.

If you have not experienced a VR sim, give it a try, I think you will quickly see that it can be very useful for fun and for learning.

Here's an old post describing my sim, which is getting a little dated.  http://www.rv8.ch/vr-flight-simulator/
By OrtiMai - 8/29/2022 6:03:52 AM

As far, as I can interpret the e-mail response that I got, it's not being worked on at the moment. Which is really sad, because many MSFS useres fly VFR flights VR and SkyDemon is THE tool to navigate in the air and do flight plannings.

Please review this again, SD-team!

A VR ingame panel, just like the PMS50-team did for the Garmin GTN750 would be so great and we all know, that it's definitly possible to accomplish that.

Please put it on your dev.-roadmap
By OrtiMai - 2/19/2023 5:51:24 PM

If you want to save some energy in VR, one can buy a HDMI or DP headless ghost dongle. Then, the main screen can get switched off.
By OrtiMai - 12/22/2022 6:12:19 PM

6. Download SkyDemon APK
12. Launch the Sim

Caution: Please follow Christians guide on github (https://github.com/Christian1984/fsdesktop/). Use MSFS in windowed mode and place the window, that you want to show visible next to it. Then, even in VR mode, buttons are klickable. Be aware, that drag and drop support will follow later, same with right klick.

Works in 2D like a charm - as well as in VR mode!  I'm just at the beginning of trying it out. Thus, it's a matter of time for the next steps. Plus, the dev of FSDesktop (Chris from Cologne in Germany is very supportive).
By Laponia - 8/17/2022 10:38:56 PM

Most work is already done. SD works fine in sim. What we ask for is the possibility to use it on VR.