SkyDemon Forums

Connection issue with SkyEcho 2

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic32458.aspx

By PaulSS - 7/24/2021 9:43:01 PM

I know this is a very old post but when I read some of the comments I wonder whether some people understand any of the equipment they're attempting to use.

A great example: "When checking the trace on Fligthradar24, my flights are perfectly recorded with no missing leg (was not the case with PAW)".

FR24 shows ADSB and MLAT traffic. Why on earth do you think it would show PAW? It SHOULD show SE2, since that's ADSB but PAW is not. Small wonder it "was not the case" that your PAW tracks were not shown.

PS: Stella, if you're wondering.
By Boeingboy - 8/28/2023 4:31:37 PM

I would add my name to those seeing increased drop outs of SD with SkyEcho2. 
When approached on the subject, uAvionix sent me the previous software to the current version saying that there was not much in the present one for UK customers so it might improve things. They also had me increase the WiFi output signal to max strength. Whilst both these helped it seems to have got worse again on both my Samsung A7 Lite tablets. 

Whilst I appreciate that SD now gives a warning that it has lost its GPS input, I think it would benefit from also defaulting to the internal tablet GPS without delay (especially as I, and others operate IFR using SD to supplement the installed Garmin or Avidyne navigator). If you wanted to make this a selectable option then so be it, but having the comfort of a straight change over without having to select anything would be a great safety benefit.  If we then want to recycle the SE2 unit (which seems to be the only real fix) then we can do that at some more leisurely point in the flight.  
By Tim Dawson - 8/29/2023 9:32:44 AM

If we just switched back to internal GPS without first getting your explicit approval, how would you know that you were no longer receiving traffic and that your traffic receiver had failed?
By rv8ch - 7/17/2023 6:43:13 AM

I just started seeing this issue of the SE2 dropping out.  I read over on the Flyer forum that I need to touch the ? to get it to use the built-in GPS - didn't know this, and I was doing the "stop navigating" and then "Go Fly" and selecting the built-in GPS.

Any idea why this started happening?  I've been using this exact setup for a while without issue, and suddenly...

Besides replacing the SE2 with something better, any hints for reducing the incidence of this?  

Any way to get SD to use the internal GPS for location, and then treat the traffic info from the SE2 as "nice to have"?  Or automatically switch GPS to internal (with a warning)?  Cheers!
By Tim Dawson - 9/26/2023 9:39:26 AM

But you don't need to stop navigation at all. If we lose contact with your traffic device, the banner says so quite clearly. If you click the ? button (on the left) of the banner, SkyDemon will offer to revert to internal GPS until your device comes back online. It works quite seamlessly, you just need to explicitly tell us you want to.
By Boeingboy - 9/18/2023 5:14:25 PM

Tim Dawson - 8/29/2023 9:32:44 AM
If we just switched back to internal GPS without first getting your explicit approval, how would you know that you were no longer receiving traffic and that your traffic receiver had failed?

Sorry for the slow reply Tim, I've only just seen your question. 
I was not suggesting that SD seeks the tablet's internal GPS without notification. However at present all we get is a warning that the signal has been lost. If at the same time a prompt 'Continue with Location Services?' was offered, a quick press of 'Yes' would keep things going much more safely than having to stop navigation and restart the flight using an alternative GPS source. 

Sadly I'm getting an increased frequency of SE2 dropping outs but these seem to be WiFi losses. As I have a hotspot active in my Avidyne 440 I suspect my Android tablet might be seeking the internet and is jumping to an alternative network in search of it. As mentioned above, selecting flight mode might help. 

By Richard747 - 9/4/2023 9:55:11 PM

Tim Dawson - 8/29/2023 9:32:44 AM

I started getting an increase in dropouts SkyEcho 2 dropouts on both iPad Pro and iPhone XR.
After updating the SE2 to SkyEcho Wi-Fi Firmware v2.41 Update (Latest Release) 02/23/23 I have not had any dropouts.
By jbmoens - 11/5/2020 4:14:02 PM

I have recently changed from Pilot Aware to SkyEcho2 for my EC device. I barely ever had any disconnection issue with PAW (I can recall 2 in over 2 years and always short-lived ones). I have been using SE2 for a few weeks now and get long disconnections every other flight. While in flight, SkyDemon shows the “Device Offline for XX seconds” pop-up for extended periods of time on my iPad. SE2’s GPS light remains green throughout the flight.

When checking the trace on Fligthradar24, my flights are perfectly recorded with no missing leg (was not the case with PAW). It does not seem to be a problem with the SE2 GPS receiver or ADS-B emitter.

There is still some issue with the Wifi connection between SD and SE2. Am I the only one with this issue? What can be done about it?

Here are my specs:
iPad Pro iOS14.1 running SD 3.14.5
iPhone X iOS 14.1
SE2 with firmware 0.2.26 (WiFi) and 2.6.9 (ADS-B)