SkyDemon Forums

Suggestion – Tighter Integration between SD and SkyEcho 2

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic32451.aspx

By Sablewolf - 4/9/2021 2:34:33 PM

Sky Painter - 11/2/2020 8:45:49 PM
Now that the CAA are offering a rebate to purchasers of SkyEcho 2, I anticipate that the uptake of SkyEcho 2 will increase significantly and many of those purchasers are likely to be flying club aircraft.

Whilst it is not difficult to change the aircraft's hex code in SkyEcho when swapping from one aircraft to another, it is a bit fiddly and after a while, if it has to be done on a regular basis, is likely to regarded as a bit of a nuisance and may result in users leaving the hex code blank and disabling 'ADS-B Out' resulting in the loss of 50% of SkyEcho's functionality.

Now since SD aircraft profiles already include the aircraft's hex code, I was wondering if it would be possible for SD to 'push' the aircraft's hex code to SkyEcho at the time of connection. It may require a measure of co-operation from uAvionix, but would be a feature welcomed by many current and future users I'm sure.

I had the same thought yesterday when aircraft was changed for another at last moment.  I had set up the hex etc. for the first aircraft and didn't have time to look up the hex code for the second, so I just turned off the skyecho.  I thought that having a pre-populated list stored within skydemon (input by the user of the different aircraft frequently used) to choose from might be an idea (as that would cover most situations) but anything 'automatic' would be even better!
By grahamb - 4/10/2021 6:53:46 AM

Sablewolf - 4/9/2021 2:34:33 PM
Sky Painter - 11/2/2020 8:45:49 PM
Now that the CAA are offering a rebate to purchasers of SkyEcho 2, I anticipate that the uptake of SkyEcho 2 will increase significantly and many of those purchasers are likely to be flying club aircraft.

Whilst it is not difficult to change the aircraft's hex code in SkyEcho when swapping from one aircraft to another, it is a bit fiddly and after a while, if it has to be done on a regular basis, is likely to regarded as a bit of a nuisance and may result in users leaving the hex code blank and disabling 'ADS-B Out' resulting in the loss of 50% of SkyEcho's functionality.

Now since SD aircraft profiles already include the aircraft's hex code, I was wondering if it would be possible for SD to 'push' the aircraft's hex code to SkyEcho at the time of connection. It may require a measure of co-operation from uAvionix, but would be a feature welcomed by many current and future users I'm sure.

I had the same thought yesterday when aircraft was changed for another at last moment.  I had set up the hex etc. for the first aircraft and didn't have time to look up the hex code for the second, so I just turned off the skyecho.  I thought that having a pre-populated list stored within skydemon (input by the user of the different aircraft frequently used) to choose from might be an idea (as that would cover most situations) but anything 'automatic' would be even better!

But SkyDemon already does allow you to save details of multiple aircraft, each with its own characteristics including hex-id, 

If SkyEcho is in receive-only mode, SkyDemon will automatically ignore the hex id of the planned aircraft, so you don't see yourself as a target. If SkyEcho is in Transmit mode, SD will automatically prompt you when you touch 'Go Flying' if the aircraft in your planned route differs from the one that SkyEcho is currently configured for.
By Sablewolf - 4/10/2021 7:45:38 AM

Thanks Graham. I hadn’t saved that aircraft as I hadn’t flown it before and didn’t have the Hex ID to hand but I didn’t remember that the Hex could be saved as part of the aircraft details so I’ll do that now
By Sky Painter - 11/2/2020 8:45:49 PM