SkyDemon Forums

Night VFR, MSA, SERA and flight planning

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic32363.aspx

By Sbihour - 10/12/2020 8:40:09 PM

Good evening,

Sorry if this not the right place for this post, feel free to move it where appropriate.

I am flying both day and night VFR and I am struggling to properly setup SD MSA under planification option (and also under Navigating option, but one thing after the other).

I think my problem comes from the fact that SD allows only one set of rule (Day-VFR or Night-VFR), and you cannot switch easily between both. You always have to remember the appropriate rule (see below !) and set it.

Would it be possible to have a switch in order to select a specific set of rule (day-vfr / night-vfr / Custom / maybe IFR if usefull ?) I think this would be really handy for everyone, as the rules are (should  be?) common across the UE (SERA)

You will find below the (free) translation of french AIP ENR 1.2
[please note that the official translation in this AIP of day-vfr rule seems to be an erronous copy-past of the night-vfr rule, so I translated the french part myself]
Day-VFR : Section 1.2.7 Minimum overflight heights
a)    above high-density areas, cities or other built-up areas or gatherings of people in the open air [you cannot fly] less than 300 m (1,000 ft) above the highest obstacle within a radius of 600 m (0,32 Nm ~2000 ft) around the aircraft;
b)    elsewhere than at the places specified in (a), [you cannot fly] at a height of less than 150 m (500 ft) above the ground or water and at a distance of less than 150 m (500 ft) from any person, vehicle or vessel on the surface or from any artificial obstacle.

Night VFR : Section 1.2.5.3 (Minimum level)
i)    over hilly or mountainous areas, 600 meters (2 000 ft) above the highest obstacle within a radius of 8 km (4.32 Nm) around the estimated position of the aircraft;
ii)    450 meters (1 500 ft) above the highest obstacle within 8 km (4.32 Nm) of the estimated position of the aircraft, other than in the areas specified in (i).

Am I the only one to play with those settings on each NAV ?

Thanks for your comments and suggestions,

Sylvain.
Ipad Pro (10.5’)
iOs 14.0.1 (18A393)
SD 3.14.4.260

By EHOW flyer - 4/12/2021 8:08:59 PM

pilot-byom - 4/8/2021 3:51:08 PM
Why do things more complicated than necessary? These rules are pretty compatible with common sense and if you deviate, you have a good reason for maintaining safety of flight and breaking rules is perfectly fine - as is the Golden Rule for airmenship. If you don't have common sense, don't go flying.

If it is me to whom you answer: where am I breaking a rule?
I am 'only' asking for an information box, based on the minimum safe height within the range of 8 km around the highest obstacle / terrain at night. So I can take this into account when performing my airmanship.