SkyDemon Forums

Spoken warnings and alerts

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic31842.aspx

By TimT - 10/4/2020 4:52:08 PM

dave_kent - 8/14/2020 12:53:58 PM
I'm running SD on a Samsung S2 tablet with PAW attached.  I've configured the alerts and warnings to come from the tablet through a bluetooth earpiece that I wear under my headset.  

The SD "Sounds for Warnings" was a bit distracting, so I turned it off in favour of speech only, however in this configuration I am only getting the second half of the spoken message.  For example, with a terrain warning I only get spoken "se Ahead" instead of "Terrain Close Ahead".  With the Sounds turned on as well, it seems to be OK and I get the full message.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks
Dave

I agree that when you use spoken traffic and airspace alerts, you want to switch off "sounds for warnings". 

Seems like your BlueTooth connection always needs a second to wake up ;-)  Normally, this is not a problem. I am using a current Bose A20 headset with BlueTooth, and always get the full message.

Alternatively, you could try to transmit  from your tablet to a BlueTooth enable audio panel, and then mix it into your wired headset feed. This saves you the money of buying a new headset. If your audio panel is not BlueTooth enabled in itself, you should find a low-cost generic BlueTooth receiver that you then connect to the Aux input of your panel.

The idea in both solutions offered is to use a different BlueTooth receiver. The wake-up delay could be a battery-saving feature of your current BlueTooth earpiece. And chances are that another BlueTooth receiver, in particular if externally powered via ship power or by a power bank, will perform better.
By dave_kent - 8/14/2020 12:53:58 PM

I'm running SD on a Samsung S2 tablet with PAW attached.  I've configured the alerts and warnings to come from the tablet through a bluetooth earpiece that I wear under my headset.  

The SD "Sounds for Warnings" was a bit distracting, so I turned it off in favour of speech only, however in this configuration I am only getting the second half of the spoken message.  For example, with a terrain warning I only get spoken "se Ahead" instead of "Terrain Close Ahead".  With the Sounds turned on as well, it seems to be OK and I get the full message.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks
Dave